Friday, September 09, 2016

Favorite Tailgating Food

Happy Friday Football Fans!

I hope your favorite team started the season last week with a win! My team did!  Roll Tide!

Disclaimer: Blogger is pissing me off tonight and not letting me upload my pictures so I'll just go ahead and apologize now. I have had so many issues this week! Am I the only one?


Today I'm sharing some of our favorite football tailgating recipes here on the blog.  Now, the problem we have here in Louisiana, is that it doesn't even really get "tailgating weather" until mid-October. Cooler weather for us normally means gumbo, chili, red beans and rice and all those other foods that make you feel warm inside. So until then, we normally stick with a "snacky" kind of tailgate menu. I usually serve one or two "heavy" options and build the rest of my menu around them.  There are always one or two dips, something sweet, something salty, and plenty to go around! Especially for friends that like to stop by to watch the game in the theater room!

{One.} Wings & Things.

Image result for wings and things

I'm not a wing girl.  I don't eat meat with a bone in it at all and the thought of eating wings just doesn't do it for me.  However, the other three fans in the family love them, so I try to do my best to make them happy.  We usually buy our wings fresh and made-to-order from a local restaurant. The few times I've tried buying boneless wings, everyone complained that they didn't taste as good, so that option has totally been overruled. Sometimes, we have popcorn chicken with all the different dipping sauces and that's become a favorite choice, too.

{two.} Dips. One can never go wrong by having too many dips on your tailgating menu! Some of our favorites are Buffalo Chicken Dip, Mississippi Sin Dip, Pizza Dip, and of course, there's always Rotel Dip.

{three.} Meatball Subs. This one is so easy!  Just buy a bag of frozen meatballs, a jar of marinara sauce, a bag of grated mozzerella cheese, and some hoagie buns. Cook the meatballs in the sauce in your crockpot until game time and BAM! Layer the meatballs on the buns, sprinkle on the cheese and you've got yourself a great meatball sub sandwich! Alise's favorite way to eat these meatballs is to wrap them in cresent rolls and bake.  They're really good that way, too!

{four.} Something sweet. I usually cook the heartier tailgating items and simply buy the sweets. I'll buy four or five different types of cookies and make an assorted cookie tray or buy mini cupcakes - in plain AND chocolate, of course. Another family favorite is green apple slices with caramel dipping sauce. I usually wait until a little later in the season to buy them in a large bag and they last a while, too, which means Alise can carry them in her lunch. Win, win! But I think our family's absolute favorite sweet are the Peanut Blossoms I make using peanut butter cookie dough and miniture Reese cups.  They usually start begging for them around Wednesday or Thursday.

{five.} Pulled pork or chicken sandwiches. These usually happen with leftover pork tenderloin or bar-be-que chicken that I've made earlier in the week. So easy to throw in the crockpot for game day! In a crunch, I've also used Jack Daniel's pulled pork and bar-be-que chicken in the small servings.  They are really yummy, too!

We have an early afternoon game this week, which means I got asked out for a hot date Saturday night.  That's about the only time we have a date night during football season is when we have an early game! Ha! The life of being married to an Alabama fan, what can I say?

Have a great weekend, everybody, and I hope your team wins!

14 comments:

  1. On man sweets, I was just complaining to be husband about Blogger last night, I finally got the pics in but the duplicating it's doing and not letting me scroll is driving me nuts!! BUT let's talk about Football Food!! I am not a wing girl either nor is hubs but boys are fir sure! However, gimmie 2-5 and I'm happy camper, dips, chips, apples, caramel, pulled porked, crap; now I'm hungry and want kick off to be at 8am, lol. ROLL TIDE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad i wasn't the only one that was having problems. It aggravated me enough that I just called it a night and went to bed. Girl, you've got to come South for some tailgating!! We would have so much darn fun!!

      Delete
  2. Oh we love wings !!!! Love a good tailgate bunch of FOOD !!!! Happy Friday !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a wing girl either. I just don't like to work that hard for my food! Plus, it's just messy. I can handle boneless wings, but I get the same complaints at my house.
    All of your tailgate food sounds delicious! I can't wait to break out the chili and soups. I told my husband, I'm tempted to make Taco Soup and just pretend it's cool outside.
    Hope you two behave on your hot date Saturday night! Actually, I hope Alabama wins Saturday, so you have pleasant company on your date! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taco Soup is the ONLY soup my man will eat! He won't even try "branching out" in the soup world. Ugh!

      Delete
  4. Give me anything sweet.
    ... & anything with cheese dip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't eat bone-in wings either, only boneless for me! I love shredded buffalo chicken sandwiches for game day!
    Kelsey
    www.thepeacockroost.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds perfect, Kelsey! I'll have to add that to my tailgating list!

      Delete
  6. I'm not a fan of wings either, but Michael sure is! Hope you have a fun day of football and a great date night. We are going to have our first "football buffet" tonight for the LSU game. Neither of the kids are big football fans, but some good tailgating food will get them down into the living room to watch the game with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read what you plan to make for the LSWHo game! LOL! Actually, crawfish tails are on sale right now (they were SOO expensive this summer), so I think I'm making Crawfish Etoufee for the Bama v. Ole Miss game next Saturday!

      Delete
  7. My middle son said that 1 of the reasons he's in school in La is because of the food! :)
    We don't go to college games...much easier to watch them on tv and be able to get up, get a beverage, and go to the bathroom!!!
    Good list of tailgate foods!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Mary! We haven't been to an actual Bama game in years -especially since Wayne put the theater room upstairs. He's like, why do I need to go to the games anymore? I've got it all right here! Enjoy your weekend!

      Delete
  8. Meatball subs...yum! I haven't made that in forever. We have been having issues the past 24 hours with our internet provider and I was about to pull my hair out.:) Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never thought about meatball subs before! What a great idea :) We ALWAYS have dip at our football get togethers and its almost always gone by the time the game is over!

    I love your blog! It's so cute :) I just started following along with you on bloglovin. I would love a follow back<3

    xo Nicole
    www.damatoadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete