Monday, July 25, 2016

The Weekend I Made 7 Minute Frosting

So yea!  I made 7 minute frosting this weekend!  It only took me twenty minutes!  Here's the recipe I used in case you wanna try it, too!

Wayne wanted a home made birthday cake for his special day on Friday.  White on white.  How BLAH is that??  But what's a good wife to do? However, he was very specific about the icing and wanted the kind that, "you know, you can taste the sugar in it."  Say what? WTH was he talking about? To be more specific, it was, "the kind that you can still taste the GRANULATED sugar in it." I still had NO idea what he was talking about and took a wild - a$$ guess that it was 7 minute frosting. I happened to be right, spent twenty minutes making it, texted Leigh to see if it had to be refrigerated {It doesn't!}, and my husband ended up with a VERY sweet birthday cake.  All was right in the world Friday night!

Until Alise got a migraine, started throwing up, and we had to postpone lighting the candles and singing happy birthday to Saturday afternoon.  Yea, I know.


On Saturday, we slept in and then headed to not one, but TWO of our local farmer's markets to stock up on Oak Grove tomatoes for the week.  Ya know, to go with our BLTs.  I also got some purple hull peas, one egg plant and one yellow meat watermelon.  You'll have to ask Wayne about the egg plant and watermelon. I know nothing. I wanted to go specifically for blueberries, but unfortunately, no one had them.

S came over Saturday night to celebrate with us. Wayne smoked ribs and I made home made baked beans and potato casserole. The food was delicious.  However, S wouldn't eat any birthday cake since she's in workouts and conditioning for season.  So glad she came over!  Great family night and thank goodness no yucky jelly beans were involved on this birthday weekend!  Ha! She was actually fighting a cold and wasn't feeling good.


On Sunday, we went to church and enjoyed a quiet afternoon as a light rain fell. It was wonderful. Perfect sleeping weather!

OH!  And I made fresh sweet corn this weekend, too! Here's the recipe I used. I had to add a little more water, though. Now I understand why my mama and grandma use to say that sweet corn was alota work for so little reward!  I bought four ears and hardly even had a "mess" of corn for supper!  But they would both be proud of me because I made purple hull peas, fried okra, cornbread, and fresh sliced tomatoes to go along with it! A true southern supper for summer! 

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like an eventful weekend. We haven't been to a Farmer's Market lately, but it's on our summer bucket list. It's just been so dang hot! I'm curious what your husband has planned for the eggplant. I'm learning to like it, but it's an acquired taste. Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Wayne plans to cut it up and fry it, but I'm tempted to try Andrea's suggestion below of egg parm. Not an egg plant fan, but I'd be willing to try that.

      Delete
  2. Oh I went to 2 Farmers stands on Friday, got corn, blueberries, heirloom maters, green beans, zucchini and yep, an eggplant. I am the only one in the house who will eat eggplant, so I make a pan of eggplant parm all for myself every summer! Poor baby girl getting a darn migraine! BEST wife award goes to Mama Horton for her sugar tasting frosting!! whoohoo, you the woman!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of egg plant, but I'd be willing to try your eggplant parm! We had THE BEST supper last night! Yummy!

      Delete
    2. I'm willing to try Andrea's eggplant parm, too! When are we coming over for dinner, Andrea? ;)

      Delete
  3. Your veggies sound wonderful and truly southern. I miss southern style veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could ship you some, my friend!

      Delete
  4. YIPPPE for some family time... with yummy cake to top it off.
    I need to take more advantage of farmers markets... its going to be all over with soon enough :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm afraid our farmer's market won't be around much longer this summer, either. HOpe you get to one soon to enjoy the goodness!

      Delete
  5. I hate hearing that poor Alise gets such a bad migraines! So sorry! The seven-minute frosting brings back lots of childhood birthday cake memories. I love it. I blogged about it here: http://tanyastable.blogspot.com/2014/10/7-minute-frosting.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, cool, Tanya! The version I made was just too sweet to me, but it was exactly what Wayne wanted, so he was happy and I was glad!

      Delete
  6. All that food sounds so so good! Summer at its finest. My hubs suffers from migraines and they are no fun. I feel bad for your daughter, they truly are the pits. Thanks for sharing these goodies with us today at my party. Makes me want to go cook now.

    ReplyDelete