Sunday, July 17, 2016

Birthday Weekend

I totally took advantage of having last week off from work and was a true #blogfailure. Except for a few scheduled posts, I really didn't do much in Blog Land, so this week, I'm trying to play catch up.  Our week was great!  We slept late, spent a lot of time out by the pool, went to the movies (I actually saw three!), grilled late suppers, and just spent a lot of time together as a family of four.

Mine and Wayne's weekend started early on Thursday when we headed south to New Orleans. I had a conference on Friday and we decided to take S with us because other than a quick trip with her juco, she had never been. Besides, it was her birthday and I wanted it to be special since she didn't have much of a twenty-first birthday last year. We took her to one of our favorite restaurants, The Bourbon House, for dinner. We had drinks at the bar and watched as the guys shucked oysters while we waited for our table. We enjoyed getting to sit in front of the huge windows in the dining room and watched all the crazy people walking on Bourbon Street. I thought S looked so beautiful that night. She insisted on wearing a pink birthday sash for the occasion.




After dinner, we spent the remainder of the night - until 1 AM! - on Bourbon Street. We danced and listened to lots of different bands. She was a lot more obliging than I thought she would be with listening to "our type of music," but she took it all in and had a fun night. The next day, while I was at the conference, she and Wayne went to the aquarium and Cafe du Monde. Unfortunately, things didn't work out for S and her friends to stay the remainder of the weekend, so she came back with us on Friday night.

On Saturday night, we ended her birthday week with steak, twice baked potatoes, green bean bundles and a 4-layer home made birthday cake!! WHICH her teammates inhaled later that night at her apartment when they all played that nasty jelly bean game (We played three rounds at the house and it was hilarious! I laughed so hard!)!! 


I have yet to understand why she feels the need to stick her tongue out in nearly every picture, but little sister is following fast in her footsteps! 


This picture makes me smile so much! Oh, to see that beautiful smile! If y'all only knew how hard it use to be to get even a grin out of her! I was so thankful for our church service this morning! After being out for several weeks, and with all the chaos that is happening in our world, it was so refreshing and encouraging to be back among friends and believers. Both our pastor's sermon and our life group lesson was about making a difference in someone else's life and about how as Christians, we need to go out an DO, and I left church today with the confidence of knowing that I'm right where God wants me to be. And there is such a peace in that, y'all! S is in our life for a reason - or a season - and it's up to us to help plant the seed of faith in her life. Of course, the guilt tried to settle in - that I wasn't doing enough or that I wasn't doing it right - but then, that sweet peace came to me and I just knew. I knew that no matter what, everything was going to be okay.

9 comments:

  1. I knew you'd make it extra special for S girly!!! How wonderful and you party animals you, man we haven't seen 1 am in a looooong time, lol!! Happy Monday and week ahead sweetness!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Yes, the night went by so fast, but the memories and fun will last a lifetime. Stephanie kept telling me the next day on the way home that she had so much fun! To me, that's all that mattered!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful delayed 21st birthday. That peace you feel is the holy spirit telling you that you are doing the right thing. Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tanya. I am so thankful for God's Holy Spirit in my life.

      Delete
  3. What a fun celebration.
    Fun story - I had a bride & groom who had a thing about sticking their tongue out in all their pictures. I had to remind them to put it back in... they didnt even realize they were doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish my girlie wouldn't do it so much! I'm like seriously? Just give me a happy face! Minus the tongue.

      Delete
  4. A birthday she'll always remember for sure. Our son told us that yesterday's sermon at NM was very good. Keep on keeping on, you are sewing seeds of eternal value!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lea! Now if I can just get her to come to church with us!

      Delete
  5. i really think i need that cake! i will tell you..it's hard with adult kids and wanting so badly to know for sure they have jesus living in their heart. i've struggle so much blaming myself that i didn't really do "enough" whatever that is...but at some point i decided it is not my issue. i can live the life i know how and show them through my actions what a disciple looks like...but in the end they have to make the decision for their own heart the same way i did.

    ReplyDelete