Tuesday, March 08, 2016

The Happiest of Days

I've totally fallen off the blogging band wagon lately. #sorrynotsorry I hate that I haven't had as much time to read and leave comments like I normally do, but it's just where I am with life right now. I thought I would have more time last week during Spring Break, but it just didn't happen.  I decided to take a few days off of work to spend with my girl instead.  We met Wayne for lunch on his route, went to eye doctor appointments, shopped, napped, baked, and ate ice cream. These are definitely some of my happiest days!



First and foremost, thank you so much, blog friends, for your sweet responses last week with my "struggle." I try to be as honest as I can here and I appreciate your truth and wisdom. We're actually planning to step back a little and see what God has planned.

On Saturday, we attended our last women's college basketball game of the season. It was Senior Day and the atmosphere was electric and energizing.  Everyone was happy and in the best spirits - it may have been because the game was broadcasted on ESPN3.  Our girls won and while we were waiting for them to come out of the locker room after the game, I felt a tap on my shoulder.  It was my friend, Mrs. Lea, who blogs over at CiCi's Corner!! We had never met before and when she saw me, she had to come right over and say, Hello!  I am SO glad she did! Such a sweet Southern Belle and I hope we can meet up with each other again soon!  And just for the record, I told y'all I was short, but I'm not THAT short!  Mrs. Lea was standing a level above me in this picture. And I don't normally wear a military jacket with a mint green lace top, but I was freezing my you-know-what off and Wayne was hollering at me to, "Let's goooooo!" so I grabbed the first jacket I could lay my hands on when we left the house! Just keeping it real, y'all!


Some more pics from our day. D had come over and talked to us for a while, but left to go talk to her parents, so we didn't get her sweet face in our pics.  Next time. It breaks my heart when S says she doesn't have any friends here. It takes her a while to warm up to people, but one of her friends came to her game and she introduced us to K. K plays on the volleyball team and is a gorgeous Texas girl and is very nice. I'm learning that all these sports people stick together. Another friend surprised her by coming in town for the weekend, too. I think S was feeling a little sentimental on Senior Day knowing that she only has another year left.  Anyway, it made my heart smile when K took a selfie of all of us. 



But this is a story! And I'll try to make it short.  Alise plays point guard for her basketball team and since we've been going to the college games, she has loved watching AD play point guard, too {I'm being very vague for a reason}.  She's beautiful and awesome and had recently gotten hurt at an away game and has missed the last four games of her senior season. We asked D & S if there was some way Alise could meet AD and they said they would see what they could do. I noticed when the team took their seats at the game Thursday night, that AD looked back and smiled at me and Alise{we sit right behind the girls bench}. Of course, Alise went nuts and said, "Mama, did you see AD smile at me?! She smiled at me!"  I didn't think anything of it. At half time, after the team came back out, I looked up from my phone and THERE was AD standing right in front of us!  She came over to speak to Alise, who was absolutely star-struck!!  AD was VERY nice and introduced herself, asked Alise what school she went to, what position she played, etc. I asked if I could snag a pic and she said, "Sure."  Alise went home that night and posted it on her IG. She is STILL talking about it.


THEN!  On Saturday, AD came BACK over to our seats and talked to Alise.  I was really shocked because even though she was very, very nice, I never expected her to come back over.  I thought maybe she was just doing a favor for D & S - who was doing a favor for us. AD told Alise that after the game, she would come back over for another picture.  Well, little did we know that AD would have the entire colesium in tears! At tip off, AD got to play and the ball was purposely tipped to her and she walked off the court and gave the ball to her twin sister. Of course, she was called for walking, but it was her final play of her senior season.  Everyone was crying!


I'm not trying to make a big deal out of the attention Alise got {gets} from the BB players.  I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if more people reached out and tried to make a difference in someone else's life, oh, what a wonderful world it would be!

9 comments:

  1. An awesome memory for Alise. Your point is right on. Glad to see you back and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That AD sounds like a gem. These gals are the BEST role models and they probably don't even realize the awe and excitement they inspire! So happy for Alise and LOVE the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just it, Andrea! The bigger girls don't get it. But I'm working on them!

      Delete
  3. All I'm gonna say is AMEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an awesome experience for Alise! So many blogs..so little time. Everyone is busy and everyone should understand reading every post, ever time is just not possible! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! But I keep up with you!

      Delete
  5. Love reading about your sweet family, no matter how often you post. That is a wonderful picture of Wayne and Alise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Laurie, wouldn't take anything for the privilege of meeting you last Sat. night. We had such a good time but you were "the icing on the cake." Hugs my friend!

    ReplyDelete