Wednesday, February 24, 2016

What's Up Wednesday ~ February 2016


I had no idea it had been so long since I've done a "What's Up Wednesday" post!  Shame. on. me. As I said last week, the Hortons are really just enjoying life right now.  We're spending time together as a family and investing in new friendships, and just really feeling blessed.  Here are some more details of what we've been up to.

What We're Eating... On Sunday night, we had brownie ala modes for supper.  Yes, dessert for supper!  I even bought the hot fudge sauce and cut up some strawberries to go on top.  S thought they were the best thing she's ever eaten! This week, I'm making our favorite alternative to tacos, which are taco bites, and I'm trying this new recipe for chicken.  You'll see why when you read next!





What I'm reminiscing about... The other night, Wayne and I were watching TV together and out of the blue, it just hit me!  This time last year, we were all giddy over our upcoming Hawaiian cruise for our anniversary! Oh, how I'd give anything to be able to go back to Maui!  It was our favorite island. There is nothing like a Hawaiian vacay!



What I'm loving... National Margarita Day!!  Oh, how I tried to get a group of friends together for margaritas on Monday night, but alas, no one could go. Too many "mom" priorities and one friend was near death's door with the stomach bug.  Who plans NMD on a Monday, anyway? Wayne knew I was pretty bummed about it - because he knows how much I love my margaritas - so he made THIS for me later that night!


I normally like my margs on the rocks, but hey! Beggars can't be choosers!  I had two, by the way!

What We've Been Up To... Basketball season.  For our big girls and little girl.  Alise's season has ended, but our college girls still have a few more games and two home games left. Alise got her basketball jacket at their end-of-the-year party last week, so she's been sporting it. The girls gave Wayne and Keith a team picture and all the girls signed the matte and wrote their number. That was really "weird" for me because even though Alise has played softball since she was four, she's always had a number, but seeing it in her handwriting just made it surreal. Here we all are at a Pink Out game a few weeks ago.


Last Friday night was our school auction. It's our biggest fund raiser every year and always alot of fun. Of course what happens at the auction stays at the auction!  I will say the band was awesome though!

What I'm Dreading... I have my annual GYN appointment later this week. I always dread that damn thing! I have to really psych myself up over it. Anyway, this year, Dr. S and I are going to have a nice, LOOOOONG conversation related to night sweats and hot flashes!

What I'm Working On... Getting some fresh air! I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I'm ready to start pounding the pavement again!  I'm ready to start working up to my daily three mile walks! I've been such a slacker since Felicia last summer, and even when I finally did get to kick her to the curb, my heart just wasn't into walking, so I'm hoping to get back to it soon!

What I'm Excited About... This week is cheerleader try outs at school.  Alise and a few of her friends are trying out for Junior Varsity cheerleader {6th-8th grade}. I'd be lying if I said she wasn't nervous.  And her nervousness and fear are driving me insane!  Every evening I have to talk her down from the ledge. It's not like she hasn't been cheering for the last five years {three years competitively}, but I understand her fear of not being chosen.  She's never had to "try out" for anything before so it's new and daunting to her.  I get it.  But I'm still excited for her!  Baby Girl is growing up!

What I'm Watching/Reading... Well, my reading has taken a major nose dive in the last few months.  I can't seem to get interested in anything - even a new book by one of my favorite authors, Heather Gudenkauf. As for watching, it's all about college basketball for Wayne and binge watching Friday Night Lights together on the weekends. The ladies BB game was on ESPN3 this past Saturday and we got to see our big girls play on the road. They came over Sunday to watch themselves on TV. We were SO proud of S because she had an awesome defensive game! And she was playing sick!!

What I'm Listening To... Y'all are going to DIE - because I can't even believe it myself! - but I've been listening to Hip Hop!  Yea, me! Can you believe it? Most of the time, I can't understand a word they are saying, but it puts me in a good mood.  Is that weird or what?! I have S to thank for my new genre!  I knew she listened to it and one day when I picked her up to do something, I had my XM Radio on the Hip Hop station. She asked me, "Do you listen to this all the time or just because I'm in the car?" I answered, "Do I LOOK like I listen to Hip Hop?  Sure I do!"  We both had a good laugh. She thinks I'm cool like that! I can still belt out some Adele's "When We Were Young," though!

What I'm Wearing...  You can check out what I've been wearing HERE.

What I'm Doing This Weekend... Don't hold your breath, but I'm really going to try to make a big dent in my woman cave this weekend.  It's another thing that I have to psych myself up for!

What I'm Looking Forward To Next Month... Spring Break!!  Enough said! Alise is out of school next week!  I'm going to take a few days off from work and spend them with her.

What Else Is New... Question: Good Morning texts?!  Yay or nay?!  Do you send them?  Do you get them? Angie and I use to send each other good morning texts when she lived here and they always put a smile on my face.  Just to know that someone was thinking about you.  Wayne and I speak to each other before he leaves every morning, but we don't actually have a "conversation," until 9:00 am when he calls me at work to see how my morning is going.  I look forward to his calls and we still text and talk throughout the day.  I can't imagine NOT talking to him. The reason I'm asking is because I've recently started getting good morning texts again, and I'm just wondering if this is "proper texting ettiquette" and something that I've just been missing out on? Heaven forbid I be a fail at sending out good morning texts!  Ha!

Bonus Question: What is your favorite Easter tradition? It seems so strange to be thinking about Easter because it seems like Christmas was just a few weeks ago.  Well, at least for me it does. We nearly always attend church services that morning.  I buy Alise a new Easter dress and we have lunch with my parents.  When Alise was smaller, we would dye and hide Easter eggs, but we haven't done that in a few years. These days, we sometimes watch a movie together in the theater room after lunch. Easter is a happy day for us as a family because of the hope we have in Christ. If you do not currently attend church, I want to encourage you to go on Easter Sunday this year.

For the first three Easters of her life, Baby Girl wore a lavender dress.  Just because. Here is a picture of her at two and a half at a local garden exhibit. She was scared of the Easter Bunny and insisted on holding my pearl bracelet.  This is one of my favorite Easter pictures of Alise.


Happy Wednesday to everyone! Be sure to come back tomorrow for my weekly confessions!

9 comments:

  1. Boy has she grown up. Cute photo of her. Your man making you that drink - a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a busy woman!! I just love that you and Wayne are spending time with your girls!! That is so sweet! Plus you know it makes their mommas smile knowing they have someone taking care of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, one of them has absolutely no contact with her mother. I don't know the story and I won't ask. If she wants to tell me, she can. I feel like her mother though! I've taken her to the doctor and to get her hair cut.

      Delete
    2. You and Wayne are modeling something amazing for Alise girlfriend!!!

      Delete
  3. Oh my heavens, how cute is that Easter Bunny and sweet Alise!! I wished I'd have been there to have a Wayne margarita with ya!!! Someday hubs and I will make it Hawaiian paradise!!! We're penciled in for 2019, lol!! Woman cave here you come...I'm pumping you up...YOU.CAN.DO.IT!!!! ;-) and Hugs hugs hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously how sweet is this! were voting on our new book club book on my blog and i'd love for you to come vote and read with us next month! so glad i found you through the linkup! hope you'll stop by mine!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dessert for dinner...my family would be ecstatic!! I seriously have been off my meal planning game lately. I seriously would LOVE to go to Hawaii for our 15th this summer but once again baseball will be dictating my vacations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Hawaii!!!! We went to Maui for our honeymoon...14 years ago! We are in the process of planning another trip!
    Thanks for linking up with us for What's Up Wednesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always love catching up with you sweet friend. Just wish it was in person :-( No Texas road trips in the near future (Katie may be flying out for her grand bigs wedding).
    I am ready for FRESH AIR, especially after being sick with another stupid cold for a week and a half. Thank goodness my littles were all healthy this week!!
    As for Alise and cheer...you know this is near and dear to us as Elie is a high school head coach! While crisp moves, jumps and some tumbling is always a plus and looked at...ATTITUDE, toward the coaches and fellow competitors is also HUGE!!! Smile, have fun!!! And be respectful to adults and peers. Trust me, I have seen many a girl not make a squad after an eye roll or just acting frustrated, it means they aren't taking it seriously. And, at the higher levels that smells of danger!! Dropped girls in stunts is NOT TOLERATED!!! Eager and willing to give 100% sometimes trumps the best of them.

    ReplyDelete