Sunday, January 03, 2016

New Year Happenings

I hope everyone is having a great start to the new year! Ours has been fast and furious!  I feel like we haven't stopped the entire holiday break, but it's been wonderful just the same! You know I would be lying if I told you I was ready for school and routine again. "Normal" resumes for us on Tuesday; work for Wayne and I and parent-teacher conferences are tomorrow.

One of our holiday traditions is to get all dressed up and go to a nice restaurant for dinner.  Unfortunately, with all our hustle and bustle before Christmas, it didn't happen.  However...Alise had several sleepovers with friends the week after Christmas, so Mr. Horton and I took FULL advantage of having a few date nights. Y'all know what die hard Bama fans we are and since we played on New Year's Eve, Wayne had requested that we stay home that night to watch the game. So we celebrated NYE a little early this year and got dressed up and went to dinner on the 29th instead.  I love date nights!


On Wednesday night,  Alise and I met up with Annie, our Big Sis, at a restaurant to celebrate Annie's birthday and Christmas.  She is just the sweetest person and she and Alise talked cheer tryouts the entire time! I totally forgot to snag a picture of the girls, but Wayne did take a picture of us before we left the house in our mojo jackets.  I love being Twinkies with my Baby Girl! And the weather had finally turned cold again and I was able to wear my "Baby It's Cold Outside" graphic tee {bought at a local boutique}. We got a laugh at Jack photo bombing our pic!


Thursday our favorite lady basketballers had a noon game and so of course, we went to cheer them on. We normally take D & S out to eat after the game, but D had family in town and couldn't go.  S was craving seafood, but none of the yummy mom and pop places in town were open. #whatthewhat We ended up settling for Outback {bleh!} and then we took S to see the Duck Commander's headquarters.  She's not from our area, but likes Duck Dynasty and had never seen the building.  She was SO funny about it and had us take a lot of pictures to send her family and friends.  Here she is with Alise!



Alise spent NYE night at my parents' house because my niece and nephew were in town and S ended up spending the night at our house!  We watched the Bama game and Wayne and I were in bed by 12:15 {I barely made it!}.  S stayed up to do homework.  I made French toast, bacon, and fruit for breakfast and then Wayne took S back to campus for a team meeting the next morning. For lunch, I made Emeril's recipe for black-eyed peas and it was AWESOME!  I'm a Southern Diva and I'm ashamed to admit that I've never made black-eyed peas on New Year's Day before.  I know!  Shame on me! Needless to say, I will never make peas without using Emeril's recipe evah, evah, evah again! Now, cabbage?  That's a different story! We don't do cabbage.  Yuck!

For New Year's evening, we had plans to have dinner with some friends of ours from school.  We love the L's!  They are so funny and down to earth and their son and Alise have been in the same class since kindergarten and are very close {but have a love/hate relationship just the same!}.  You may remember that Alise had to borrow Brock's jersey for the girls' first basketball game. P coaches the middle school boys' BB team, and Wayne helps with the girls. Anyhoo, we had a fun evening with lots of laughter!  Kristen is SO much fun! She keeps me young and I keep her on schedule when it comes to 5th grade tests and homework!


On Saturday, we slept in and then Alise had basketball practice at 11:00. I took down the Christmas tree while they were gone and finished boxing a few more things up. I had planned to do some cleaning and purging that day, but it didn't happen.  I talked Wayne into putting off cleaning up the yard and blowing leaves until today and spending the afternoon with me.  I was  feeling quite clingy and just needing my man after Boo Mama posted Adele's Song, All I Ask, on IG.  While all the comments were about how followers would belt out this song at a pageant, I was bawling like a baby! I mean, a big ugly cry, y'all! I don't know why that song hit me that way, but it did.  I think it was the line, what if I never love again?  I just couldn't imagine losing my husband and not having the kind of love we have ever again.  Morbid, y'all, I know, but my mind is crazy right now.  Y'all know that! {I have yet to get her new CD, but I plan to very, very soon.  Annie told me that her concert sold out in Denver in TWO minutes!!}  But anyway, my awesome husband spend the afternoon with me and we snacked, ran errands - I even went to Home Depot with him! - and grocery shopped.  He's the best!  Makes buying meat at the deli look sexy!

I've had my eye on a Kee Kee Tee from a local boutique since before Christmas.  The shirts and sweatshirts are SO soft and they have Bible scriptures or spiritual sayings on them. They even have onesies for small babies! Wayne bought me one Saturday afternoon and it made my day! I'm pretty sure my word of the year is printed on the front - more on that another day! I've lived in the sweatshirt since Saturday evening because it is so comfortable!


So today, we did yard work!  We blew and burned leaves and a huge stick pile.  I had one blower and Wayne had another! If I had a dollar for every leaf in our yard, I would have more money than Donald Trump!!  No lie! Even Baby Girl helped by bringing wood up to the back porch on her four wheeler and stacking it for us! The yard and flower beds look bare, but at least the leaves are gone!  I hate leaves!


I'm off to make a taco bar for S & D for supper tonight!  I wonder if I'll be able to get them to watch the premiere of "Downton Abbey" with me?  Ha! I'm so excited for the new season to begin, yet, sad to see the end of a great series!

14 comments:

  1. I am pumped too for tonight's new and last season of Downton Abbey. We will have to discuss each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't able to watch last night, Michelle, but I have it recorded. I will watch soon and "let you know." Ha! Love the idea of breaking down DA!

      Delete
  2. How HOT are you on date night in that lace number!!! Sizzling!!! Mr Horton must've been swooning!!!! Love your tee too and how cute is Alise, such a good helper!!!! Muah friend!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about that lace, bout that lace!

      Delete
  3. Black eyed peas are one of my favorites and I totally missed out this year being away from home! Now I'm thinking I need to make a pot. Sounds like you guys had a great break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I halfed the black eye pea recipe for us, but it was so delicious!

      Delete
  4. Love your date night outfit!! So glad you had a great weekend and hope you enjoyed Downton Abbey last night! xo, Biana-BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Biana! Had to record Downton Abbey, but I plan on watching it very soon! Do you watch?

      Delete
  5. I'm back!! I had to take a hiatus, explained in my blog post, but I am excited to catch up with all my bloggers! Love that you and Alise were twins, you both look great!! Love that sweatshirt, I might need to check them out. I was so excited about Downton Abbey, but then realized, I am a season behind. I need to catch up quick on Amazon before I can watch in real time! Hope you are well, I am excited to be keeping up again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how you feel about your husband. I'm the same way, and one of my greatest fears in life is losing him. I try not to think about it! You looked so beautiful on your date nights!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to watch downtown abbey don't i??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Kimm!! You REALLY do!!

      Delete
  8. Loving the graphic tee and sweatshirt! Any chance they are from the same boutique?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Holly, they are not from the same boutique, but both shops are here locally.

      Delete