Monday, December 21, 2015

The Last Weekend Before Christmas

It was a fast and furious weekend before Christmas for us, with Friday evening being our only "down time" - if you want to call it that! Luckily, I had everything I needed in the pantry to make not one, but TWO lasagnas! One casserole was for a work friend of Wayne's whose wife just had a baby girl. We absolutely DEVOURED the second casserole because one, I hadn't cooked all week and I think we were all craving some much needed comfort food, and two, I was in full blown carb mode, enjoying my glass of wine and Christmas music as I slaved away in the kitchen that evening.  Wayne got home late again and was exhausted!  He ate supper and went straight to bed. But he may have been a little more tired than usual because he and Alise got home late from the Star Wars movie on Thursday night and two special college girls kept us up WELL past our bed times!  While they were at the movies, S & D came over to the house to entertain me.  S wanted to wash her bed comforter in our bigger washer and D needed to wrap Christmas gifts. It took a while for the comforter to dry, even in our dryer, so it was a later night than usual.  I can't remember the last time I stayed up {on purpose!} on a "work night" past one o'clock in the morning!

On Saturday morning, I hit the ground running, determined to finish my Christmas shopping before yet ANOTHER scheduled showing of The Force Awakens.  Yes, I was conned into seeing it with my Star Wars geeks! When Wayne bought the tickets for the 17th, he also bought tickets for us to see it as a family a few days later. He's a family man like that. I loved the movie!


After the movie, we had to book it to the colesium to watch the ULM women's BB team and cheer the girls on. It was a great game and D got to play and even scored some points so we were excited for her {she recently had knee surgery}. We were a little late because of the movie and S said, "I was wondering where y'all were!" They are so funny and I think they've adopted us as much as we've adopted them! After the game, we wanted to take the girls out to eat and they wanted us to try a new stir fry restaurant in town, so we went there and it was oh-so good!  We were able to leave with to-go boxes, which made me very happy that I didn't have to cook the next day! We said good-bye to the girls, took Alise home to finish her Christmas cookies, and then Wayne and I headed back out for a few more hours to finish our Christmas shopping.  I am happy to report, that we are DONE!


On Sunday, we went to the grocery store to get everything I needed for tonight's little shin-dig with some of my mom friends from school. I can't wait to show you everything a little bit later, but remember the appetizer post from last week?  Well...look what Alise and I did yesterday afternoon!


It's not completely finished - I still have to add the "star" on top and the pickles for the last layer, but I LOVE the way it turned out! And it was so easy, too!

Sunday evening found S & D back over at our house for supper and then a last minute decision to go see "Sisters" with them.  Alise was miffed that she couldn't go, but the movie was absolutely HILARIOUS!  It's raunchy, but oh-so funny!  Even S & D were laughing out loud!  But no, do not take your ten year old to see it!

And that was basically our weekend before Christmas! S is flying back "home" today to spend Christmas with her family, so we won't see the girls again for a while. I'm taking off early to get ready for the party tonight and Wayne is working his butt off for four more days this week trying to get everyone's packages to them!  And Alise...well, she's face timing her friends and watching Christmas movies.  What the life!

If I'm not in Blog Land again before Christmas, I want to wish all my readers a very Merry Christmas!  I hope you have a wonderful holiday with family and friends!

11 comments:

  1. What a precious weekend for a precious family! How awesome did that App tree turn out! I absolutely love it! So husband and I went to see Star Wars yesterday as well and I love the movie too! More than I thought I would! Merry Christmas my gorgeous, sassy and sweet friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just knew you were a closet Star Wars geek, too, Andrea! LOL! I liked the movie more than I thought I would, too. Alise kept asking me, "Mom, what was your favorite part? What was your favorite part?" I just loved seeing all the old cast again. And I love how it ended! Have a very Merry Christmas my friend!

      Delete
  2. That appetizer tree....love it!! Merry Christmas Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet of you to "adopt" the college girls. I bet they bring a lot of fun to your home! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merry Christmas, Amy! It's crazy how those two girls have become a part of our family. And it all started with us going to a women's basketball game! They're really sweet girls and I never thought college kids would want to hang out with us, but it sure makes us feel "cool." HAHA!

      Delete
  5. You make those trees look easy. I tried them once, a total flop! I ate half the stuff because they kept falling off. Sounds like a fun Star Wars family event you all attended. We are not fans over here. I couldn't even tell you what any of the movies are about if I tried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be more than happy to come over and make an appetizer tree for you, Michelle, next time you need one! Hope you are enjoying the holidays!

      Delete
  6. We're going to see Star Wars tomorrow...can't wait. Your appetizer tree looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you like the new movie! I loved it more than I ever thought I would! Loved seeing the old characters and the audience cheered for them when they came on the screen! Merry Christmas, Tanya!

      Delete
  7. Reading your posts always put a smile on my face!!! Merry Christmas my friend !

    ReplyDelete