Monday, November 02, 2015

What I Am Most Thankful For In 2015

It may sound cliche, but I am most thankful for my HEALTH in 2015.

Of course, I'm thankful for my family and friends. I'm thankful for my job, a roof over my head and food on my table, but this year, for now, I am most thankful for my health.

When I had my accident in June and had to go through the entire summer in a boot and crutches, it rocked my world.  As an independent girl, I was now dependent on others and I absolutely hated it. I hated the doctor visits.  I hated having to depend on my mom to get Alise to summer camp every day so that I could get to work early enough to get a descent parking place. I hated having to depend on Wayne to take care of the household "chores." I hated not being able to "pick up and go" like I was use to.  Needless to say, my summer sucked.

Having gone through that experience, I've realized how precious my health is. I have a new appreciation for people when I see them on crutches, struggling to get through a heavy glass door. I understand that getting to ride a cart at the local Walmart is not a glamorous experience.  Especially while wearing a big, black boot!

I saw this cartoon this past weekend and totally fell out laughing!  I mean really!  This was SO me on June 9th!  The only difference is that I fell from the fourth step instead of the last.


For the last two years, I've been amazed how the word I chose as my word of the year has totally been what I needed, when I needed it.  In 2014, my word was Peace. I can't begin to describe how much that one word meant to me in the summer and fall of 2014 when there was total uncertainty with my job. I remember being so worried and yet God just continually brought to my mind to trust Him and to have Peace about the situation. In 2015, my word has been, Joy, and I'll be honest, I didn't find much JOY in falling down the stairs and being handicapped all summer! But looking back over those events, I realize that I have found joy in my health when so many in this world have theirs taken away. I can't explain why I was fortunate enough to heal {without surgery!} and others are not. But for this season, I will count my blessings and find joy!

10 comments:

  1. You're such a wonderful person Laura! You and your sweet words always bring me joy! Thank you for a great Monday morning reminder! And may your week and your month of November be off to a great start pretty lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! I was sick for a year and a half several years ago because the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. It was the worst year and a half of my life...constant pain and suffering and endless doctor appointments and tests. I really learned the meaning of "If you have your health, you have everything". That phrase is so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more, Amy! I hope you are doing well these days!

      Delete
  4. Hi Laura, I've read your blog for a while but, I haven't commented until today. I also am so thankful for my own good health and for my families too. It seems like every week I hear of someone who is dealing with a serious illness and it really weighs heavy on my heart. I never want to take for granted something so important. I'm happy for you that you are well again and able to walk without that boot. I always enjoy your reading your blog and seeing what you're wearing and cooking. And, your little girl is such a doll!! Oh, and I'm married to a Horton too. No relation, I'm sure, but a fun coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy and thank you for your comment! My experience this summer made me realize how I had been taking my health for granted and I hope I never do again. And just to add to the coincidence, my parents almost named me Amy! Enjoy your Monday!

      Delete
  5. Good health is what so many take for granted until something happens. Your words are wise and your thoughts hit home for many I'm sure. Now onto the Halloween candy, right!!! Sugar, wine, all the good things that are suppose to kill us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your perspective here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Over{joy}ed that you linked up with us today! And seeing you in regular shoes brings me joy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that your word of the year is JOY! Thanks so much for linking up with us today! Hope you have had many reasons to rejoice today! ;)

    ReplyDelete