Wednesday, November 04, 2015

To Cheer Or Not To Cheer

Stay with me.  I know I've been rambling all week, but it is what it is.

On Monday, I'm in my office and I get a text from Alise's cheer sponsor saying she's planning a party for the girls as well as a bunch of other stuff.  At the end of the text, I read, "Also, I need to know which 5th grade or 6th grade girls are trying out for JV cheer."  Then, a few minutes later, another text, "I really want to encourage the 5/6th girls to try out.  Erin {our cheer coach} is so excited about these girls."

I can't even begin to describe all the emotions that hit me at that moment.

Happiness. Elation. Excitement. Confusion. Anxiousness. Disappointment.

What if I'm not cut out to be a cheer mom?

Ha ha!  I kid. Seriously, though.  This is about my daughter.

Before I even found out I was having a daughter, I use to day dream about what she would look like and all the things she would do. Having a boy just wasn't in the cards for me and God really knew what he was doing {in more ways than one} when he blessed me with Alise. So amid all that day dreaming of her having blue eyes and blonde curly hair {none of which happened}, I never dreamed about her being a cheerleader.  I know you may find that hard to believe, but I didn't.

When Alise was in kindergarten, I decided to sign her up for a local cheer competion team because another friend from school was doing it. We traveled and did that for three years. Alise was biten with the cheering bug! Not the tumbling part so much, but she loved everything else about cheering. She takes after me: she's LOUD! Luckily for her, she had some great coaches those three years and they helped her improve on her sharpness and technique skills.  And yes, I know that she's my little girl, but I think she's quite good.

When she was in 4th grade, Alise joined our elementary school's youth cheerleading squad, the Smatchettes. Being and cheering on the front row last year, was kinda like an omen to her.  It was her sign that she was good enough and she realized that cheering was what she wanted to do, although she continues to this day to fight me on the tumbling classes. I was so proud of her! Then, this year, Alise was "promoted" to the back of the squad and let's just say that Sister didn't like that too much! She was SO upset, thinking that it was a sign of her not being good enough anymore.  She didn't realize that ALL the 5th and 6th grade girls were on the back row and the younger ones were in the front.  It wasn't a slight against her personally at all. Enter Big Sis, Annie, and everything changed. Annie was the encourager that Alise needed.  She took time with her and "talked up" to Alise and that made all the difference. When Annie went with us to Dallas last month, she and Alise talked alot about cheerleading. Alise asked her if she was scared to do stunts and to try out every year, so I knew from their conversations that Alise was thinking about the JV squad {and just so you know, the JV squad is made up of 6th, 7th, & 8th grade girls}.  She asked Annie if she thought she was good enough to try out and she said yes and that she would help her get ready for try outs.

Some people may think that I am pushing Alise into cheerleading and that's simply not true. I've never "pushed" her into anything except her grades.  Her extra-curricular actvities have always been her choice, and trust me, we've done them all! I simply want her to be happy.  If she decided tomorrow that she didn't want to try out for JV cheerleader, I would not be upset.

When I got Jana's texts on Monday, I was excited for Alise! Excited that the school had decided for only the second year in a row to include the 6th grade girls on the JV squad. I'm anxious to know if she will decide to try out and I'm worried about how all the prep work leading up to tryouts and her migraines are going to work through all this. And then there's a part of me that's disappointed. Disappointed with myself.  For ten years, I've found myself thinking about the next great thing where Alise is concerned and I haven't always "lived in the moment." And now she's ten years old and she's growing up and she's considering trying out for cheerleader.  This is a big deal.  I'm just not quite sure mother and daughter are ready for this.

13 comments:

  1. So proud of both of you girlies! It is such an exciting time but oh how I know it is filled with emotions, mixed feelings, elation and a little bit of fear all at the same time!! You both shine and your sweet little cheerleader rocks! Hugs to you both

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! You read my mind! This mama is stressed!

      Delete
  2. Seems like an exciting and emotional phase of life ♥♥. Happy Wednesday♥♥

    summerdaisy.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to her if she decides to try out! I also always imagine what my baby girl will be like in the years to come, what she'll be interested in, e.t.c. I don't think it sounds like you're pushing her at all! My mom owns a dance studio and believe me, I've seen a ton of moms trying to relive their childhood through their daughters and push them soo much haha. It shows that you just want her to be happy =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacquelyn! I read that your precious girl is 5 months. Enjoy this time! Don't rush it! She will definitely grow up soon enought!

      Delete
  4. There is simply nothing better than having a daughter !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree, Kimm!

      Delete
  5. Lots of luck to her if she tries out! I'm already saying my prayers for a daughter in the future, ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has decided to try out, Christina! You're the first to know! I just texted our sponsor and told her. I'm happy for Alise! And, yes! Girls are LOTS of fun so keep praying! God answered my prayers!

      Delete
  6. How fun! My (now 22 yr old) daughter was a cheerleader all of her school years. Best of luck to your little one. I'm sure she'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If it's something that she wants to do then best of luck to her and you!!! Lots of cheer practices might be in your future! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure she has enough of her momma in her and she's only going to do what she really wants to do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post makes me SOOOO happy!! #cheermomsunite

    ReplyDelete