Monday, November 16, 2015

The Christmas Card Debate {In My Mind}

Somebody, please, quick!

Knock some sense into me and tell me to get off my butt and do something about our Christmas cards this year!  Because, seriously. As of now, it ain't happening!

I just don't have it in me this year.  Last year, my cards went out on December 1st!  I was so happy and proud of myself!  I came up with the greeting all on my own and worked with an etsy seller that I had used in past years. I worked on addressing those suckers Thanksgiving night because I wanted to be able to say for ONCE in my life, I got my cards out on the first day of December!! I bet everyone that got a card from us on December 2nd thought, "Laura Horton has got it going on, y'all!!"

Do y'all take bets on who your first Christmas card of the season will be from? Wayne and I do.  And we're surprised every year!


So anyway. Now, it's like, "Ok. Done that." Game over. I win.

I seriously think my problem is that I can't think of a "new place" to have our picture made. 

We have a tripod, so we normally go to the bayou and set up there.  I've only had our pictures professionally made for Christmas once and I bought the proof so that I could design our own card that year {Alise was in kindergarten}.  I'm just simply not interested in going the professional route this year.  I have a great picture of us from last year on the bayou and when I suggested to Wayne that we just use that picture, he went NUTS!  He was like, "You can't use a picture from LAST year to go on THIS year's Christmas card!  That's crazy." Well, stick a fork in me, because I'm crazy! I mean, Alise hasn't changed that much from last year.  My hair color was a little darker back then.  Wayne still looks the same, so why not? WHO IS GOING TO KNOW??

I could go the regular, boxed card route, but HEAVEN FORBID anyone get a boxed card!! Especially from me! I'd rather not send them out at all.

For years, our local newspaper has taken donations around the holidays for Goodwill and posted the person's name along with the amount of their donation in the paper. For several of those years, we donated money in memory of Wayne's dad and I always use to see this phrase posted on the list as well: 'In lieu of Christmas cards this year..." It took a while {several years!} for the CPA in me to figure out that instead of people buying and mailing Christmas cards, they just donated the amount of money they would have spent. Genius! Sounds like a plan to me!

But then I thought, what if thirty years from now I'm trying to go back and collect all our Christmas cards through the years and I get to 2015 and I can't remember that we didn't have a card that year?! THAT will drive me insane because I'd be looking for it everywhere and I'd be ticked because I couldn't find it and I'd be too old to remember that we never had one in the first place!! 

And what about the people who don't live in our town and won't see that we made a donation instead of mailing Christmas cards? Will they think we died? Will they think we're mad at them?  Will they even care?!

So just call me, Bah-humbug!  I mean, I at least had my Christmas tree up six weeks before Christmas!  That should count for something, right?!

Thank you all for your prayers and kind words for Alise.  The MRI results came back on Thursday and everything is fine.  God is good!

19 comments:

  1. I hear ya girlfriend. We have been taking pictures of the girls since each was born, and STILL do (they are 22 and almost 26). Each year I think...this is it. Well, nope. They have already planned their outfits and the pics will be taken over Thanksgiving break. I am fortunate that Elie designs them for us each year so they are totally unique to us. We finally decided on a new location this year. Just praying it isn't windy and cold like last year!!
    Glad to hear all went well with her MRI. And, you know how this momma feels already...but since all was clear, push for the food sensitivity tests!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please send Elie my way! I would be more than happy to have her "piece us together" and design our card. Looks like Christmas cards are on everyone's brain right now because most of the blogs I've read today have mentioned them. Now I feel really bad! Yes, Alise's MRI came back fine and we are in the process of making some changes and possibly going gluten free. I'll keep you posted. Enjoy your day, Lauren! Muwah!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh you are too funny thinking ahead 30 years and not remembering good thing you'll have this blog to look back on to see what you decided on! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you think, Biana! Yes, I will still have the blog to look back on (Hopefully!)!

      Delete
  3. I literally spit out my coffee laughing at this! Oh how the perfectionist in me can relate!! I have actually been in tears over the family card. The last couple we have set up a tripod in the Christmas tree lot. Well that doesn't always go as planned. Snowflakes were all over our faces and I had to edit them out two years ago, ha ha! I try not to pressure myself anymore and yes, when people expect it of us "got it together ladies" ;-) the pressure gets to me. But I stand firm if the pics don't turn out I am sending only to a handful, the Specialty relative cards, the Merry Christmas mom, grandma, aunt etc and be done and throw some extra bills in the Salvation Army kettle. I too am so grateful for the clear MRI results! Poor mama, I am sure had you worried sick!! Now did we have a card in 2008? Crap wished I'd had a blog then so I could remember. Gonna bug me all day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to come up with something! I was visiting my mom yesterday and I was like, "Look, I'm not sending Christmas cards this year, so don't get your panties in a bunch!" She looked at me with a shocked look on her face and said, "And why not?!" Ugh!! #firstbornsyndrome #dontwanttodisappointmom

      Delete
  4. Go check out Kelly's Korner and see the link she has listed!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss your blog, Whitney!! Yes! As soon as I saw Kelly's post, I was like, great minds think alike!

      Delete
  5. So glad Alise's MRI results came back fine. I know that is an answer to prayer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Renee! Yes, it was truly an answer to prayer!

      Delete
  6. This is our first year sending our Christmas cards! We started addressing them last night and are going to mail them the weekend after Thanksgiving haha! I want them sent out (and out of my hands) as soon as possible!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for you, Darcy! That's the way I was last year! I just wanted to see if I could really do it by December 1st!

      Delete
  7. I haven't sent Christmas cards out in years. I use to send them out Decemer 1st too. Then, one year I had surgery, and no way in .... I was up for doing that task. I noticed no one ever said anything and stamps were more expensive, and I remember the feeling of not doing them. Freeing!! So I stopped. I sent the boxed cards some years, did the professional route and even sent the freebies I'd get in the mail. But,, frankly, I don't think many people care anymore. If it is something that is important to you, then do it, if not, by all means donate the money to a charity and pat yourself on the back. I truly never understood what all the fuss was about. Less stress if you ask me. Your post once again makes me laugh and I can just see last year's card in someone's (anyone who does this) scrapebook 30 thirty years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying that I WON'T send Christmas cards out...I might try and get a descent picture of Alise in front of the Christmas tree, but my heart just isn't into it this year. And I feel like if my heart isn't in it, then why even bother? Every other year is sounding might fine to this woman this year! Especially after a few vodka tonics!! Thanks for commenting, Michelle!

      Delete
  8. Christmas cards a BIG deal for me too! I enjoy doing them and generally have a lot more done towards them than I do this year. But, we'll do our pics with the Grans this weekend and then I'll get busy and pick out the appropriate card. I like to send mine closer to Christmas, so I still have plenty of time. I'm betting you will send some really cute cards. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see, Lea! Right now, I'm just not feeling it.

      Delete
  9. I think there is a lot of pressure to send out a photo card...remember back in the old days when everyone sent boxed cards with a handwritten note? It seems like fewer people are actually sending cards out these days, but I love the tradition. I'm going to try to snap some photos of the kids after school Thursday.

    Glad the MRI was clear. And I would have been worn out after a day with 5th graders too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're so funny. Girl last year I sent out boxes cards I got from target and I was totally fine with that. This year I ordered cards from tiny prints..no pics just a merry Christmas message and our names on it. I used to stress about holiday cards and getting the perfect Christmas picture to throw on there and over the years it's just not so important to me anymore !

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'll be soooo sad if you don't! 😢😢😢 No pressure though!!

    ReplyDelete