Friday, November 13, 2015

Friday Favorites: MIA Edition

I've been a little MIA this week here on the blog and really, just social media in general.  It's called LIFE, Peeps, and I've had some really great moments this past week!  So I thought I would share a "ketchup" post as my Friday Favorites today, because, after all, they were my favorites.

{one.} Last Friday morning, the girls and I left as soon as we dropped the kids off at school and headed to Mississippi for a girls night away. We called it the "M Road Trip!" "Muffins, Mimosas, Mistletoe, & Mississippi" and we had a blast!  Leigh remarked that the back of Jessica's car looked like Vera Bradley had thrown up!  Ha! We drove to Jackson to shop at Mistletoe Market that is sponsored every year by the Jackson Junior League.  Lots and lots of shopping! Lots and lots of estrogen in one place, but it was all fun!


Jessica's the little rebel in the group and also the baby!  She looked so cute in her ripped jeans and olive vest! I'm the goody two shoes, Jennifer is the CRAY-ZEE one that tells it like it is and usually makes all the plans, and Leigh is the quiet one who does not like to shop!  We found that out on this trip but she hung in there with us until the bitter end!

After shopping, we checked in to our hotel and had drinks on the patio until our reservation at Ruth Chris! However, once we got to the restaurant, we were told that they did not have a reservation for us {#whatthewhat}. Some very nice gentlemen made an extra spot for us at the bar and so that's where we ended up dining for the evening.  We made it just in time for the happy hour appetizers, so instead of ordering from the regular menu, we all just ordered appetizers and shared. And let me just say that Ruth Chris' crab cake sliders are to die for {#makeyouslapyourmama}!!


After dinner, we went to hear an 80's band and I think it was a little more "retro 80's" than we were hoping!  Ha!  But it was still a very fun night! OH!  And I know you can't see them, but I wore my faux leather leggings Friday night!  I love them!  Jessica and I were twinkies except for our blouses!


{two.} Uber. Call me crazy but up until we were in Dallas a month ago, I had never heard of Uber. We live in a much smaller town than most of you that probably read my blog, so we don't have Uber.  However, when Jessica was in LA recently, that's how she got around {kinda scarey.  I'm thinking a Craig's List kind of Taxi service}, so we checked it out in Jackson and took advantage of this service! That way, no one had to drive and our motto was that if we were going to die in Jackson, Mississippi, we were all going to die together!  Luckily, our drivers were very nice and we tipped well!  It was MUCH cheaper than a regular taxi service!

{three.} Bama Beats LSU! When I got home Saturday afternoon, Wayne was grilling ribs and sausage, and doing something with wings, I'm not sure what, but y'all know that since I don't eat meat on the bone, I really didn't care. The fact that he was taking on the party prep was fine with me because it allowed me to spend some time with Baby Girl, who had to go to the doctor earlier that morning with sinus troubles and an ear infection. She wasn't feeling well and needed some extra cuddling time and I was happy to give her some extra attention. We took a nap and then I finished all the sides and desserts for the party.  Everyone decided to watch the game upstairs in the theater room since it was damp and rainy outside, so Wayne brought all the food in from the cook shack and we made a spread on the island. The food was delicious! The game was AWESOME and now we have about another 360 days of bragging rites!



{four.} The Horton's Go To The Movies. I had promised Alise that I would take her Sunday afternoon to see the new Peanuts movie.  And I did.  But I also made Wayne come along!  The movie was cute, but I think Alise was more impressed with her new Star Wars 3D glasses!  The theater is selling a different pair of glasses each week for $5.  I bought her the stormtrooper pair.  And if I haven't mentioned it already, Wayne has tickets to the showing the day before the movie is released!  He and Baby Girl are going and dressing up!  I'm excited for them!  It will be something that Alise will always remember!


{five.} It's no secret that I feel like I'm going through peri-menopause.  I scheduled my annual appointment with my OB/GYN for early next year and I plan on talking to her about it then. Having said that, when my boss had a hysterectomy and was going through all the "crap"a few years ago, she told me about these "cooling pajamas" that she finally decided to try.  At the time, I had no interest, but this weekend while we were shopping, I found them at Soma. The sales clerk was very nice and told me the pajamas are "like a cult.  They really have a following."  I thought, "Great!  Just where I need to be!  With all the crazies!" So I decided to take the plunge and I bought a night shirt for myself and a pair of pajamas for my mom for Christmas. I've worn the night shirt this week and I have to say that I can tell a difference. I don't know how they do it, but the fabric IS really cooler and it feels so good against my skin. This is the night shirt I bought. I wanted something I could lounge around the house in as well, but if you're into a sexy look for bed time, they have something for you, too.  I'm sorry, but there is nothing sexy about lingerie and hot flashes!! But whatever. I mention all this because if you know someone that is suffering from hot flashes and night sweats, I think the pajamas would make a really great Christmas gift!

{six.} I've actually managed to cook this week! On Sunday, Wayne was craving an Angel Food Cake.  It's not something that I normally think of in the Fall, but it's what my man wanted, so I made him one!  Besides, I had some extra eggs in the fridge that I needed to use.  I've had the recipe since we were newlyweds living in a tiny studio apartment and every time I make it, that's what I think of - when we were livin' on nothing but love!  I'll share the recipe soon.  It is so simple that Alise helped me make it. Half the cake was gone in two days!  I liked surprising Wayne and Alise by sticking a slice in their lunches this week! I also made Pioneer Woman's Comfort Meatballs, and my crockpot spaghetti sauce. 

{seven.} On Wednesday, I took off from work to go with Alise on a field trip with her class.  And we left oh-so early!! I found myself back in Jackson for the second time in four days.  I texted her teacher, "Did you bring the champagne? I need a mimosa to get through the day!" We had a great time visiting two museums - with every other kid in the state of Mississippi! - one being what reminded me of Walnut Grove in Little House on the Prairie, aka "the old days."  The kids got to walk thru an old timey cotton mill and that was neat!  The next museum we went to was the Museum of Science and the kids were running around like crazy looking for the two-headed snake!  Yuck!!  I'll share more about that little adventure next week, but one thing I did learn on that trip, this forty-three year old mom is not cut out for all day 5th grade field trips!  I'm exhausted and still recovering!!




And I don't know why my font keeps changing, but it's really pissing me off! 

{eight.} We also had Alise's MRI procedure on Wednesday afternoon when we got back in town from the field trip. This is something that I've just been putting off and putting off and despite all the anxiety that I knew would ensue, we scheduled and rolled with it. All I can say is Thank you, God, for friends! Our friend, Barry, did the procedure and Alise TOTALLY wigged out when she saw the machine and ran out of the room and just when Barry and I were about to call the procedure off, she said, "NO!  I'm going to do it!" and that she did!  The whole time listening to Taylor Swift!  It was a VERY proud mom moment for me!




{nine.} Christmas shopping. I've actually been able to do a little holiday shopping on my lunch break this week.  Every little bit helps and although I would LOVE to be finished by December 1st, I don't see it happening. My dad and Wayne are the absolute hardest to buy for!

{ten.} Our weekend agenda. If you've been following me on Instagram, then you probably saw the picture that I posted of our Christmas tree! Undecorated, of course! Wayne was so nice to bring it downstairs Wednesday night, so I plan on doing some serious decorating tonight! I may even do a Periscope after I get it finished! The rest of our weekend consists of a dog party for Jack, who turned one on November 4th (something else I've been putting off but a certain ten year old won't let me forget!), more Bama football against Mississippi State, gumbo, and a new recipe for Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti as requested by Alise! 

If you're still reading this, thank you!  I apologize for the long post, but at least now you know why I haven't been in Blog Land this week!  Hello to all my new followers and thank you for all the emails and texts of wondering, "where the heck are you!"  Love y'all!

Today I'm linking up with Momfessionals and AlizAdventures.

17 comments:

  1. I was starting to get a little worried about you and missed you in the blogosphere! Glad you're back! Sounds like you've been busy. I'm glad Alise's MRI is over with and that she did ok. I got a big laugh out of the "lingerie and hot flashes" comment! I'll have to look for those pajamas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like the pajamas! I've added a pair to my Christmas list since I've loved the night shirt so much! I can tell a difference; I even sleep better!

      Delete
  2. She was very brave to have the MRI! It is a strange experience with scary sounds and listening to Taylor Swift was a great idea! Congrats on the big win over LSU - we had our first loss and it was so frustrating and sad, but looking forward to going to the game tomorrow and a win :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and it helps when you have friends that can tell you to bring your own music! I was so proud of her!

      Delete
  3. I was wondering where you were too! Saw you on Instagram and thankful nothing bad had happen. What a busy and fulfilled week you had. The night pj's, my daughter was trying to get them for me through Daily Mom and we haven't scored yet. I heard about them too from a friend. The doctors will probably suggest hormone replacement at some point, they all seem to do it to shut us up. I had a hystrectomy and the day after had my first hot flash. Now they come and go. Wine intensifies them, but NO WAY grammie is giving up the wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are able to get a pair, Michelle! I wouldn't be able to give up the wine, either.

      Delete
  4. Your girls night out sounds SO fun! We do that in the spring and it's such a great time. If I could decorate this weekend I would, although I think my husband would have a heart attack, lol! LOVE your outfit from the class trip, so cute! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Cara! I was worried I looked a little frumpy for the field trip! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Girl I wake up every night soaked in sweat. I need to check out those pajamas !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like them, Kimm! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. Such a busy week! What a fun time with your girlfriends. Riley actually just signed up to be an Uber in the off season..boy needs some income!! Hope you guys get some answer with the MRI soon. I'm totally intrigued by these cooling pj's....I'm ready to be over this as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Riley would make a very cute Uber driver! Let me know what you think about the pjs if you decide to get a pair. I've added them to my Christmas list!

      Delete
  7. Gosh – isn’t life just TOO busy this time of the year?! Love love love the name for the girls night – looks like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a great time! Hope you have a very nice weekend!

      Delete
  8. Aww loved catching with with your fun shenanigans my love!! What a fun trip! Wish I could've been there, you're all so stinking cute!! I used to love field trips and can I say: hottest class mom right there looking killer in that plaid shirt!! Really this hot flash crap is the only thing I hate about our 40's. Good luck at your appt my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I NEED those pj's!!! Though I think 2 years post hysterectomy, I'm finally balanced better! Hate to say that and jinx it!! I didn't know you had another Leigh in your life, how funny!
    So glad Barry took care of A! It's so neat to have friends at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're very fortunate to have friends at the hospital! I've known Leigh since my public accounting days. She's a CPA, too!

      Delete