Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Fifth Grade Field Trip

This is one for the scrap book!

So like I shared last week, I was in Jackson, Mississippi, for the second time in less than a week.  One with girlfriends for a night out and then the second time was as a chaperone for a 5th grade field trip. And why, oh why, was it that Kristy {the other mom} and I got stuck with the "wanderer"?  Just my luck! Oh, my God, we could not keep up with that kid!!

So if a 5th grade field trip will teach you anything, it's that you're not cut out for 5th grade field trips! I. was. exhausted. Wednesday night and could barely get out of the bed to go back to work on Thursday! I'm not complaining because I was SO glad to be there with Baby Girl, but let's face it! Every school in the state of Mississippi decided to go on a field trip last Wednesday!

Our first stop was the the Mississippi Agricultural & Forestry Museum. Although I didn't care too much for the museum part, I did like the old, small town replica of like the 1800's.  It reminded me of Walnut Grove from Little House on the Praire.  There was an old General Store, a church, a school house, and the most exciting thing, an old timey cotton gin that ran on pulleys and not electricity. You could watch volunteers make cane syrup and ground corn into meal. There were antique carriages and biscuits with honey, and did I mention kids EVERYWHERE?! Apparently, volunteers come on certain days of the year to help with the gin, blow the train whistle, sing songs and play on the banjo, all that fun stuff to give you the feeling of stepping back into the past, and we hit it on that particular day! Who planned this field trip? Here are a few pics from our morning.









After lunch at a nearby park, we went to the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science and apparently word got out that there was a two-headed snake in this place.  That's all the kids wanted to find was the snake!  There was also a dog exhibit on display and I particularly liked all the hanging bones in the museum. We went on a black bear maze and a nature walk, too. It was interesting and fun, but I think the kids were beginning to get tired.  Lord knows I was!





This is a picture of our entire fifth grade class {minus two students that left early}.  And, if you think about it, the graduating class of 2023.  But let's not go there.  Yet! We have a GREAT class and I have loved getting to know all these kids over the years that we've been at RO. They are ALL friends and genuinely care about one another.

I was so thankful that we were able to make the 1.5 hour drive to Jackson safely.  Our small private school does not have a bus, so the parents had to car pool with the kids and God watched over all of us.  I'm also thankful for our awesome fifth grade teachers! We're having a great year and I appreciate everything they do for our kids and school!

I'll be linking up later this week with Shelly & Holly for their weekly "Attitude of Gratitude" link up party.

8 comments:

  1. How fun! Great that you got to go along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun field trip and even better that you were there for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two headed snake....no thanks! Other than that I'm all for 5th grade field trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is so stinkin cute, just like her mama!!! So glad you did this even though it wiped ya out, I miss those trips!! You rock and I bet the kids are enamored with you-the coolest mom there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my, brings back so many memories of years gone by. I think I went on every field trip my kids ever went on and I did grow weary and was really quite glad when those days were behind me. I have no doubt you were tired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Field trips make me thankful I'm not a teacher! ;) All kidding aside, I do love going on them and love seeing our kiddos in their element. But, why, oh why are they so exhausting?! Phew! So thankful you guys had a fun and safe trip. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Attitude of Gratitude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for linking up with us! Appreciate you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun trip! It looks like everyone enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete