Wednesday, October 28, 2015

What's Up Wednesday ~ October Edition

As always on the last Wednesday of the month, I'm linking up with Sheaffer, Mel, and Shay for What's Up Wednesday.  However, I'm a little crunched for time today, so if you are a regular to my little space here in Blog Land, most of this will be a repeat.  I hope you enjoy it anyway.  Let's get started!!


{what we're eating this week...}
I made Christy Jordan's Chili this weekend for all our SEC football watching.  It's my favorite chili recipe and it makes so much that there is always leftovers.  I was hoping it would bring on the cooler temps, but so far, it hasn't.

For Alise's class party, I'm making these Exploding Eyeball Cookies!

{what I'm reminiscing about...}
I told Alise a few weeks ago that I thought she might be getting a little too old for trick-or-treating and she just looked at me like I had grown two heads!  I miss the days when she was younger and all the great costumes she's had in the past.  Check out this post from a year ago!

{what I'm loving...}
I'm loving my new Sam Edelman leopard flats that I got at Nordstrom's!  They are SO comfortable and I just can't get enough of them!

{what we've been up to...}
By far, the highlight of our month was our school's youth football team playing in Dallas Cowboy Stadium!  What a GREAT experience for these boys and our cheerleaders! We loved every minute of it!  You can read all about it HERE.


{what I'm dreading...}
Christmas shopping for a ten year old girl! I'm racking my brain trying to come up with ideas for Alise.  Sure!  She makes a list every year, but when do you draw the line about buying a $100 doll that she "says" she wants but you know in your heart that she will never play with? Wayne and I tend to be in disagreement with her list this year.  He is of the mindset that we shouldn't get her things that she won't play with or use.  I agree, but then we are left with nothing to buy for.  Any suggestions for a ten year old girl who already has everything?

{what I'm working on...}
Okay so since I totally failed at #falldecorating101 this year, I decided to put my big girl panties on and put together another Halloween Jeopardy game for Alise's school party at the end of this week.  You can check out last year's game HERE.

{what I'm excited about...}
I'm excited about the Bama v. LSU game next weekend!  We always have a big party at our house and I've got to get my you-know-what in gear and get my menu planned! Everyone comes sporting their favorite team shirt/jersey and it's always so much fun! Lord knows we have plenty of big screen TVs for everyone to watch so there isn't a bad seat in the house! Wayne usually takes all the kids on a hayride during half time.

{what I'm watching/reading...}
I finished James Patterson's new book, The Murder House, and I don't see how this book is getting the great reviews it is!  It's all over the place and I didn't like it.  There's a "spooky" aura if you're into that, but other than that, don't waste $14.99 like I did.  I normally love James Patterson, so I was disappointed that I didn't like his latest. I'm now reading Nicholas Sparks' new one, See Me. As for movies, we saw The Martian last weekend and I really liked it. Wayne and I are trying to get caught up on Scandal and I hate that I haven't picked back up with Chicago Fire this season.

{what I'm listening to...}
Got my Sirus XM radio back, so mama's jamming again!!

{what I'm wearing...}
I've been doing some Pinterest Recreations the past few weeks and I shared them HERE.

So late last week, this PIN...

Leopard and maroon and stripes! Perfect for a causal fall day. You can pair a button down under the sweater for more layers. Love the colors and prints

...Became THIS when I decided to join a fall scarf challenge on Instagram last week!  You style queens are probably thinking, Meh!, but I was SO stinkin' proud of myself!! A total win for a casual day in the office that even the nuns would approve of!



{what I'm doing this weekend...}
Well, it's Halloween of course, so we'll be with our friends to trick-or-treat and then later, we'll all be back at our house for snacks and other goodies! We usually have a hay ride for the kids as they ride from house to house.  It's alot of fun and we've been keeping this tradition alive for ten years!

{what I'm looking forward to next month...}
I'm ready to break out the Christmas decor.  I mentioned earlier that I didn't do any fall decorating this year, so I think I've been bitten by the Christmas bug early.  My Christmas tree will be up before Thanksgiving.  I'm one of the lucky ones that can be thankful with a sparkling tree in my living room.  And bedrooms.  And kitchen.  And hallway.

{what else is new...}
Monday marked Alise's first basketball practice.  Like, ever.  The child has never played basketball before in her life and I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a basketball mom. However, she'll be playing for LOTS of years to come in order to pay for the freakin' shoes we bought her! The good news is that my phone started blowing up Monday night after practice. So many parents and coaches were telling me how fast Alise is on the court. We shall see.

{BONUS QUESTION: What is your favorite Thanksgiving Recipe?}
Last year, I made Cajun Corn Casserole as a side to my mom's traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  It was awesome and everyone loved it!

21 comments:

  1. Ten year old girls - remembering very well when the three of mine were this age. Easy when you have three daughters. If they didn't like what they got, they played with their sisters' things. This is the age they begin to like pampering themselves. I remember getting my oldest daughter at the time her first pedicure gift card and attached it to a set of pretty nail polishes and nail grooming set so she could begin taking care of her nails. This was a hit. Not sure if Alise is into that stuff yet. It seems they are beginning younger and younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you styled that scarf!!

    XO Ellen from Ask Away Blog
    www.askawayblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen! I'm not usually a scarf person, but what can I say? It was a good day!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE those flats! Especially with those burgundy pants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so in to burgundy and olive this Fall! And of course, leopard is a staple in my closet!

      Delete
  4. I think the tween age (both boys and girls) is really hard to buy gifts for. Jack's birthday is in a few weeks, and I have no idea what to get him. And then Christmas right after that. He has nothing on his wish list, and I don't have a clue. I think it gets easier when they enter the teen years. Grace loves clothes, cosmetics, and just about anything I would like as a gift. So that makes it easier to shop for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine buying for a boy, Tanya! Yikes!

      Delete
  5. Breaking out the Christmas gear? Say it isn't so, I'm still trying to find time to decorate for fall - ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary Beth! I was totally worthless when it came to fall decorating this year. Even my family noticed, so I'm going to try to make it up to them at Christmas! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  6. I really like your interpretation of the Pinterest look. I was immediately thinking I wish I had a burgundy pencil skirt and then I scrolled down and saw your burgundy skinny jeans, which I Do have! I really like that you added your olive jacket, too. Need to copy this one, Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to say, Jennie! You've made my day! Thank you SO much!

      Delete
  7. You totally rocked that outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, girl! That means alot.

      Delete
  8. Hi Laura, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! when you figure out what to get Alise, let me know, because my Alayna is 9.5 and I am stumped also. She wants another barbie house but sheesh, we have almost everyone!! Also love your outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cara! I mean, honestly!! What are we suppose to get these girls!? Have a great Wednesday!

      Delete
  9. Again, so cool you guys got to have that game at Cowboys Stadium! We’re headed there this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you figure out what to do for Christmas! I am sure that my mom had the same problem with me growing up. I was really big into dance at the time, so any gift revolvign around that (a new leotard, a bag, etc.) was always a huge hit!!
    www.amemoryofus.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. You nailed the pinterest inspo with your outfit! xo, Biana -BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your outfit!!! So cute!! Have fun at the game!
    Thanks for linking up with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that outfit and just absolutely dying over those flats :). Have a wonderful Halloween weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fleshandhide

    Fashion Leather Jackets | Celebrity Leather Jackets | Sheep Leather Jackets are Available
    at Fleshandhide.com , leather jackets uk leather jackets usa quality leather jackets

    ReplyDelete