Thursday, October 01, 2015

Fashion Faux Pas

Y'all see this picture I found on Pinterest?  It reminded me of a fashion faux pas I made last October at our school's annual Pumpkins on Parade.

I love everything about this picture, except maybe the scarf {A little too thick for my taste} and the earrings.  I said maybe.  You scarf peeps don't work yourself up into a sweat over it.

How to Wear a Chambray Shirt with Corduroy Pants:

You see how the model's pulling at her shirt so her tu-tu won't show? Well, that was me nearly a year ago in front of all the kids, the kids' parents, the teachers, and our wonderful principal that never smiles.  So you can imagine what kind of look I got from her!

THIS was the look I was trying to pull off!


Outfit Posts: (outfits 1-5) one suitcase: winter vacation capsule wardrobe:

Minus the necklace and with a white tank underneath. Unfortunately, my shirt was not long enough - in my opinion - but longer than the first picture.  And just like in the first, I felt like I spent my whole night pulling on my denim shirt.  The younger, skinnier crowd could pull this look off without a problem, but for those of us who are over the age of forty and have ample surplus in certain areas, it's not so easy. There's a reason Sheaffer says that "leggings aren't pants"! Because even though Mr. Horton likes me running around the house in them, the whole world does NOT need to see my tu-tu or my butt-butt! 

And I just want to clarify - for the record - that I wasn't really trying to wear leggings as pants as much as I was trying to relive my college years and wear leggings with a really big shirt!  But let's face it: lots of things change in twenty years! In all honesty, I don't think my denim shirt was THAT short, but I do remember I was very conscious of it that night.  I remember sitting in the car in the parking lot before we got out thinking, I really probably shouldn't have worn this! 

But, oh, well!...I did!

Have you made any fashion faux pas?!

22 comments:

  1. I need long shirts too. I am thin, but over 40 (for sure!!) and just don't care for the shorter shirt look with leggings on women over 30-something. My daughter (who is 25 and my mini-me) wore a look like that recently, and it was positively adorable! On me it would be less so : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to train my brain to remember I'm not 25 anymore, Joyce! It's so disheartening, but at least I know when I've made a faux pas! Ya know, some people can't figure it out for themselves! And I nearly went home and changed when I got to the school that night, but I had a nine year old breaking her neck to get out of the car, so I just had to go with it! The things we do for our kids!

      Delete
  2. Yay, you joined us with such a great post!! Oh honey, I have been there so many times!! Hey, at least this made a GREAT photo, you look good!! Yeah, um the word LOVE on the butt of my yoga pants....note that didn't work either. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could be sassy and wear words on my butt!!

      Delete
  3. This post made me laugh! I haven't read it yet, but have heard that Jen Hatmaker talks about the "leggings are not pants" dilemma in her book For the Love. Here she is in a video clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O47HASywXnU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could make you smile, Tanya!

      Delete
  4. Yes, over 50 here... shirts that don't cover the butt or front should not be worn. And, my other thing, over 50, short shorts. really, the 20's and 30's are gone, Just accept it! That's my take on the fashion scene via age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hold my hand, Michelle! There are days that I just can't accept it!

      Delete
  5. So adorable! Love the boots :)

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Abby! They are Sam Edelman and I've had them for three years! Love them!

      Delete
  6. Hi Laura. I am Ada. I am so glad I found your blog today. Your inspired look and your own look are so polished yet casual enough and perfect for the current time and weather.

    I welcome you to stop by my blog, as well. On Mondays and Wednesdays this month starting on Oct 5th I am doing a pink-themed link-up in honor of Breast Cancer but all outfits and pink things are accepted. Please join me. Thank you. =)


    Have a great weekend! Ada. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Ada, and also for the heads up about your link up next week! What an awesome way to celebrate Breast Cancer Awareness Month!!

      Delete
  7. I think we've all felt a little bit like we missed the mark on some of our pinterest inspired looks lol! xo, Biana - BlovedBoston

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will be honest: when I read that I thought to my self....I don't see a tu-tu on her? (think ballerina!) bwahahahaha yep I cracked myself up! Then I realized what you were referring to! HAHAHAHA Thanks for the laugh Laura!!! and my goodness yes....long shirts ladies! They are leggings....not pants! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh girl, you made me smile all through your post. I can almost hear you saying the words...so southern, so fabulous!! I am thrilled to have you join our first My Refined Style Linkup...I hope you will come back for many more!

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a cute outfit, but I've made that same mistake with leggings. Try ponte pants. You get the same look, but they're thicker and actually pants. I bet you still looked cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that outfit! I can't wait to get some tall brown boots and copy that outfit, with the longer shirt of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't think it has anything to do with age or body fitness, no one should be wearing leggings as pants. They are just tights, but thicker. I have noticed, that there a lot more long tops out there this season that do cover the butt, because everyone really wants to wear leggings but wants their but covered. Another option is short dresses with leggings. A chambray dress over leggings would give you this same look, but one you'd be more comfortable in. Those are usually super short anyway. Very fun post to read. I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha...you make me laugh! I seriously think I will be really old before I give up leggings. I will tell you my hugest embarrassment was running a 10k and taking a picture afterwards...posting on Facebook...and then seeing the picture on my big computer screen and realizing I had major camel toe...yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, leggings are definitely not pants for a 60+ gal even though I am small. And, I pretty much think they aren't pants for any age except maybe my 6 year old Granddaughter. :o))Cute post, you always make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Denim Blouse

    FOLLOW my Blog!!! Maybe we can follow each other!!!
    http://rimanerenellamemoria.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm playing catch up and this is cracking me up!!

    ReplyDelete