Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Eight Questions I Asked Myself

Here are some questions I asked myself.  Kinda like my own personal interview.  Of myself.  Because...I'm crazy like that? Honestly, it was just a good writing day.

1.  What is your favorite comfort food hands down? It's a tie.  If my mama's cooking, I love her chicken and dumplings and that's what I think of when I think of comfort food. I'm a sucker for macaroni and cheese, too, but Wayne won't eat it in any fashion because he and his room mate ate way too much of it in their college years. So I don't make it that much, but I love it!  And I'm not talking about Kraft, either.

2.  Would you ever consider having plastic surgery? The other day, I made the comment to Alise that she was getting taller.  So she decided to measure herself against me and told me that she came up to my "first neck wrinkle." One part of me busted out laughing, but the vain part of me, well, let's just say, my feelings were hurt. I would love to have some breast work done, a little nip and tuck in a few places, but yet I truly believe that God created me uniquely and in His image.  Who am I to play around with His creation?  And I have to believe what I'm teaching my pre-teen daughter.  That beauty is not what a person looks like on the outside. It's what's on the inside that counts.  So, no.  I wouldn't consider plastic surgery.  I'm too scared of knives anyway.

3.  What advice would you give a newlywed couple today? We've been married for twenty years, so I like this question.  First, I would say, enjoy your marriage.  Enjoy your time as a couple. So many newly marrieds think they have to rush into the house thing and rush in to having kids and that's so not true. Your first few years as a couple are special and time that you will never have again. You're also building that solid foundation for your marriage and your future family. Wayne and I waited ten years before we decided to start trying to have a baby and although I'm not quite sure we would wait THAT long if we had it to do over again, I still treasure our first few years as a married couple.  Secondly, the old saying, "don't go to bed mad at each other"?  Stick to it. Don't go to bed mad. Talk it out.  And then make up!  That's the best part anyway!

4.  What is your earliest childhood memory? I was born in the early 70's and avacado green was a very, very popular color back then.  My parents had an avacado green phone on their night stand in their bedroom to match their bedding that matched their curtains.  So just like toddlers like playing with the TV remote controls now, toddlers of the 70's liked "talking on the phone."  I remember getting in trouble several times for playing with that green phone.  Mama has a picture of me on that phone somewhere.

5.  What is the hardest thing about being a mother? I hate this question because it's ALL hard! It was hard when she was a newborn and it's hard when she's ten and I don't expect things changing any time soon - especially as we enter the teen years. The hardest thing I've ever done was be a mom. Giving up what I want to do is probably the hardest for me. And being a single mom even though we're married is tough, too.

6.  Rank the following in order: diet coke, pedicure, Alabama football, a good book, cooking/baking, entertaining, the beach, air plane rides, Hawaii, chocolate chip cookies

          Diet Coke - because without it, my life is not complete {and I get a migraine}
          Alabama Football
          Pedicures
          Chocolate Chip Cookies {preferably with M&Ms, too}
          A good book
          Hawaii
          Entertaining
          Cooking/baking
          Air plane rides
          The Beach
       
So there you have it!  Being in Hawaii with a Diet Coke, a chocolate chip cookie and a good book while getting a pedicure and watching the Alabama Crimson Tide play {and win!} is my love language! Of course, if I really WAS in Hawaii, I would have something much stronger than a Diet Coke and it would have a tiny umbrella stuck in it!

7.  What room in your house would you like to remodel? I don't ever want to remodel again! We've remodeled and flipped two houses and remodeled the house that we're currently living in now. I don't care who you are, everything looks so easy on HGTV and it does NOT happen like that in the real world! Even Chip and Joanna Gaines would agree!  Having said that, the only TWO areas I would like to change are the staircase and our bath/shower in the master bath. The bath was originally part of the remodel plans, but we just never got around to it.  Kinda like, nobody will see it, so what does it matter?  Well, it's starting to matter to me.

8. Are you afraid to die? Am I afraid to die?  No.  Am I afraid of how I'm GOING to die?  Yes. I guess I'm like most people and I would like to pass in my sleep, like my 94 year old grandmother did this time last year, but unfortunately, we don't get to choose. Alise and I are very close.  She is my shadow.  I can't go to the bathroom without turning around to find her standing there. So I've tried to imagine how rocked her world would be if something happened to me.  Is that morbid?  Whatever. The point I'm trying to make is that I've always told her that if something DID ever happen to me that it would be okay to cry, but that she would always carry the hope she has of seeing me again. In heaven. Because she and I {and Wayne} have put our faith in Jesus Christ, we have a hope that some day we will be reunited with our loved ones. I can't tell you how much that hope means to me, how much that hope has gotten me through difficult times, how that same hope reminds me that there is something oh-so much better in store for God's people.

Thanks for stopping by and reading my crazy thoughts today!  I'm linking up with these blogs this week: Tuesday Talk, & Thoughts On Thursday.

10 comments:

  1. I learned a lot about you here and love it! Would you consider being one of my Connect With posts? The next one is coming out on Sunday so you can see how it is done if you haven't caught any before. Motherhood, I agree! It is all HARD WORK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE This woman!! I would never go under the knife either cause lord only knows how that'd turn out!! Ha!! I love pedi's, football and Chocolate chip cookies and reading and well, your whole list!! When Bama plays the Irish for the Championship we're going to eat cookies in our game attire while our hubbys giving us pedicures. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that idea, Andrea! It's on!!

      Delete
  3. This was just great and I may have to do something similiar sometime. Just gives me a chance to get to know you a little better. Really sweet thoughts, especially your last one. Happy week Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely, and fun post. I was the opposite of you, we had kids immediately, I got pregnant 6 weeks after marriage, not by choice. I think that made most our early marriage and life difficult as we were not prepared for that. But now, it's a blessing because they are all grown and out of the house and were still young! We can get out and enjoy life and our friends are still at home with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously your advice for a newlywed couple is perfect for me! Michael and I desperately want to buy a house though. We have a lot of saving to do first! We both kind of have baby fever, but him more than I. I want to be able to have a couple more years of freedom before we have a baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree that it isn't the dying as much as how I will die. But can't worry about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post, love your questions. I totally agree with your marriage advice. So many people rush because they HAVE to be like everyone else, but why? I am so grateful we've chosen to save and not have kids the first two years of marriage. Who knows, we may not have kids till four years and that's okay. Our first two years have been awesome just the two of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fleshandhide

    Fashion Leather Jackets | Celebrity Leather Jackets | Sheep Leather Jackets are Available
    at Fleshandhide.com , leather jackets uk leather jackets usa quality leather jackets

    ReplyDelete