Sunday, September 27, 2015

Celebrating Homecoming & Anne Frank

First of all, thank you for all your lipstick comments last week! I have to say that I was really surprised by the number of you that don't wear lipstick.  And I certainly don't mean that in a bad way, I just didn't know that lip glosses were so darn popular!  Maybe I need to change to a gloss, but a tinted gloss, because I have the same problem with gloss that I have with light neutral lipsticks.  I just feel washed out with no color.  What can I say?  Lipstick completes me.  So when I was scrolling through my IG feed later that night, I found this pic!


It made me smile.  I'm so glad that even though her marriage didn't work out, Miranda likes red, too!

So I made bread this weekend. CINNAMON ROLL bread. And I have to say that the smell that permeated throughout our house totally negated all the fall decorating that I haven't done yet. I just sat on my designated side of the couch and breathed in and out...in and out. And a shout out to my friend Michelle who sent me her recipe for Classic Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips - I promise your recipe is next on my list!  I am only one woman and therefore, I can only make one bread recipe a week.

I stand corrected.  As much as I've griped and complained about this whole Anne freakin' Frank project, the "wax museum" on Friday was a HUGE hit! Even if the students didn't think so. I stayed long enough to see the kids' costumes and they all NAILED it!  We love Ms. C!!  She's an awesome teacher! Here's a pic of my favorite blonde Anne Frank and some of her besties, Amelia Earhart, Betsy Ross, and her "special friend," Elvis!!





So last week was Homecoming at our school.  Fun times. Two of our favorite Big Sisses were on court. Alise was a 5th grade presenter with her friend, A {who she has gone to school with since Pre-K4}.  So yea, Alise and I were shopping for a dress and shoes the evening before the big event! Ugh! I'm so proud of the dress she chose - and she got lots of compliments, but the pink curlers the night before was a disaster! Here are a few pics from our very busy day!



Our beautiful Big Sis GA was crowned Homecoming Queen!  We are so happy for her! Her dress was beautiful!


Alise and A.  Their drawings were chosen out of the entire 5th grade and they presented them to the HOCO queen during the pep rally.


We love A!  She is the most beautiful person inside and out and such a great friend and encourager to Alise! The poor thing was having an awful HOCO day, though.  Her boyfriend accidentally slammed her hand in the limo door later that afternoon on the way to the game.  And then, during the presentation at half time, her shoe broke, and I'm not talking about just the heel!  The entire sole of the bottom of her five inch stilletos came off!  I gave her a hug and told her that this was something she would always remember!  On a brighter note, A told me that she got her ACT scores back and she scored really well.  She told me, "At least I know I'm going to college, Ms. Laura!"  She is so funny!

There were several schools in our area celebrating HOCO and I stayed on FB quite a bit more than I normally do this weekend looking at everyone's pictures! I can't believe I have friends the same age that have high schoolers!  The thought of that nearly sends me into cardiac arrest!!  If a ten year old and I can't even agree on a nice church dress, how will we ever agree on a dress for a high school dance?! It's also neat to see my high school friends with their high school kids during this happy time!

Since school was dismissed at noon, Alise and I had a Mommie/Daughter Day!  We ate at our favorite restaurant, went to the movies {where she ditched me to sit with her friends},  shopped, and then came home to take naps before the HOCO game! We had a great time!  Alise told me twice on Friday, "Mama, I've had so much fun today! Thank you for taking off work and spending the day with me."  It was worth it!  We spend SO much time together, running places and to games and tumbling and fighting over studying that a "fun" day was needed for just the two of us!  I love that girl so much!


As for SEC news, we had friends over for the Alabama v. ULM game!  Can you believe Wayne & I cheered against our alma mater? We're awful alumni, what can I say?  I made a huge pot of gumbo and Alise made chocolate cupcakes for dessert and this is the only pic I have. I'm loving the fact that she's taking an interest in the kitchen! Her chocolate cupcakes were the bomb dot com!


The remainder of our weekend was spent studying.  We have a Smatchette game tonight and three big tests on Tuesday. School never ends, but I'm thankful that Baby Girl had a great weekend and we got to spend some quality time together.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, I missed the lipstick post but dear, lipstick (the real stuff) is a MUST for this gal and always has been. I've told my children that they had better make sure I have my bright lipstick on when they open my coffin. :0)) Yes, it's been homecoming mania everywhere. I enjoyed when mine were involved but don't get into it much anymore. Maybe when the Grans are involved. Happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so fun that they get to participate in Homecoming activities. That is one thing I miss about being in a small town. Keith & I have never even taken our kids to a friday night football game..gasp! I made Shay's Banana Chocolate Chip muffins this weekend and they were so good. Somehow I managed to shove one off on every mom that picked up her daughter saturday morning so I only had one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GURL! You better take those babies to a high school football game! I know what they're like here, so I can only imagine what they are like in Texas. I would definitely wait for cooler weather though!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Alise looks so pretty in that dress...blue is a great color on her! We had the privilege of visiting the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam, and it was one of the most moving things I've ever seen. It's hard to imagine what people went through in those days. Hope your week gets off to a good start.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, Alise has asked me numerous times when we can visit Anne's house. She loves anything that has to do with the WWII era. I think she's going to be a history buff like me!

      Delete
    2. Tanya, Alise has asked me numerous times when we can visit Anne's house. She loves anything that has to do with the WWII era. I think she's going to be a history buff like me!

      Delete
  4. I too have been to the Anne Frank house, it brings tears to your eyes! This is such a sweet post Laura! Our homecoming is this week as the boys will be busy with all the activities! Mommy daughter day looks like such a success, such cute girlies right there! I hope you have a marvelous Monday pretty lady

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alise's dress is beautiful!! And so is she! Hope y'all have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We love high school football games. So fun !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great recap Laura. I loved your lipstick post and I too am one of those women who has to put it on. I'm trying to play around with a light gloss, but I still feel naked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You guys have been busy! Homecoming looks like such fun as does the mama daughter day!

    ReplyDelete