Friday, July 03, 2015

Five Friday Favorites On Friday

I oh-so hope that this first Friday in July and Friday before Independence Day bring a smile to your face! I think some of you are getting to enjoy a long weekend and what better reason to celebrate?!

Today I'm linking up with these lovies to get the party started!


        Friday Favorites Link Up Botton Life In Leggings

{one.} I PROMISE this will be the last time you hear me mention this three letter word for a long time. Dip.  Dip, dip, dip, dip, dip! I talked about it on my post last Friday and again on Monday, but it is what it is!  It's a NEW Friday, a NEW Friday Favorite post and IT'S WHAT I'M LOVING RIGHT NOW! You gotta make this Bacon Corn Dip! It's a new recipe that I found on Pinterest and let me just say that it ranks right up there with some Spinach Artichoke Dip in my book! Y'all know everything takes better with bacon!  Parents at our party last weekend devoured this stuff and it will defintely be making another appearance on our menu this weekend!!   I've just introduced you to your new go-to appetizer for football season as well! That's it. Dip rant ovah!

{two.} Crockpot liner bags. I love to use my crockpot, y'all!  And being a working mom, it comes in SO handy during the week for fast, home-cooked meals. But I admit, I use to be a crockpot snob when it came to liner bags. I really just thought they were a waste of money. Notice I said, "use to be." This past weekend, I made some cheese dip for Alise's softball team and I just didn't want that cheese funk in my crockpot!  You know what I'm talking about. That line of dried cheese that circles the pot?  So I went to two different stores and finally found some and what a difference they make!  You just pick up the bag at the end of the party or meal and that's it!  Voila'!! I will forever be investing in crockpot liner bags! You can get a box of four at Walmart for less than $2!
{three.} Crockpot Mexican Chicken. And speaking of new recipes and liner bags, I used BOTH on Sunday night for dinner. Another recipe that I've seen all over Pinterest is the one with the chicken, the beans, the corn, some seasoning and a block of cream cheese all cooked in the crockpot. I think everyone calls it something different and I've pinned several varieties, but I decided to go with Elizabeth's version at All Kinds of Things. OH MY GOODNESS! This one pot meal was SO good!  Of course, my bunch had issues: Alise didn't like the black beans {I only used half a can} and Wayne didn't think it was spicy enough {I used a can of mild rotel, but I guess I'll use the HOT version next time, because, oh, yes!  There WILL BE a next time!!}, but they ate theirs with tortillas like a burrito and I ate mine over Spanish Rice and it was delish!  I even took leftovers to work the next day! Totally moving this pin to our Horton Family Favorites board on Pinterest!!


Crock Pot Mexican Chicken

Used with permission.  Click HERE.

{four.} Moving on to books, now.  I finished Elin Hilderbrand's new book, The Rumor, earlier this week and loved it! It was like reading the National Enquirer of Nantucket!  Ha! I actually could have finished it in a weekend, but alas, duty called, even with Felicia! But I loved this book and it's a perfect read for the beach, which is what Hilderbrand's known for.



{five.} Gilmore Girls with Alise. I've been reading everyone's Netflex lists of shows to watch - and in some cases, RE-watch - and I came across Gilmore Girls. I actually think I meant to begin with Gossip Girls, but somehow it all got lost in translation.  Anyway, it's such a sweet show {so far. I noticed the first season is rated PG} and Alise came on the scene and started watching it with me at episode 3. She is addicted to the show! She knows the theme song by heart! And every afternoon when I pick her up from camp, she asks, "So? Can we go home and watch Gilmore Girls?" She has become the "Queen of Binge Watching"! I had no idea that Melissa McCarthy was in it, either. So, anyway, if you're looking for a great show to watch with your pre-teen daughter, then I recommend this one {at least the first season}!


Gilmore Girls (2000) Poster

HAVE A WONDERFUL 4TH OF JULY HOLIDAY, PEEPS!  We'll be entertaining by the pool and I know for sure the ONE thing {well, besides the Bacon Corn Dip, of course!} that will be on our menu and that's Homemade Butterfinger Ice Cream!  Yum! It's a Horton family recipe and I'll be sharing it next week! And if you're STILL looking for menu ideas, be sure to check out The Pioneer Woman's Menu For the 4th!  It looks so yummy that I just want to cook it all!! Or at least have a little taste test!  

Blessings for a safe and happy holiday to you all!

Other posts you may enjoy from this week are: Coffee Talk With Felicia & DIY: 4th of July Firecrackers.

16 comments:

  1. Erin is one of my favorite authors, is this a new release of hers? I haven't heard of that one. I thought I read all of her books. She always has me wanting to head to Nantucket and experience the whole settings in her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read Elin Hildebrand's Beautiful Day - it was so good and you're right, the perfect kind of book for summer reading. I can't believe I had never read one of her books before. I've gotta try that dip...looks delicious. Have a happy fourth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked Beautiful Day, too, Tanya! I think you'll like "The Blue Bistro," too! Make the dip and let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I do love me some Crock Pot LIner Bags, best things since sliced bread. And, the Mexican Chicken, will be trying that for sure. Sounds like a fun 4th at the Horton house, enjoy your weekend! And, all the best to Felicia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness that bacon dip...yum! My hubs doesn't like corn but we are going to a family affair and I just might have to try this one out. I love crock pot liners....but always remember I have them AFTER I've added everything to the crockpot. Geez! Have a great 4th Laura!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, Wayne doesn't care for corn that much either, but he LOVED this dip! As a matter of fact, ALL the guys at the party did! I hope you make it and I hope Keith tries it! Let me know if he does and what he thinks! Have a wonderful 4th with your family!

      Delete
  5. I love Gilmore Girls! If you ever need other TV show suggestions, I have a whole list over on my blog! Have a great weekend! - Seri from www.Serisblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Seri! I need to check out your list!

      Delete
  6. LOVE Gilmore Girls! And dip is one of my favorite things to eat, so by all means, post away! :) I really don't like cleaning the crockpot, so I may need to pick up liner bags!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Mattie! Get the liners bags! Don't be a snob like I was! Ha!

      Delete
  7. I am also obsessed with the liners....they are amazing!!!! And Gilmore Girls will always have a special place in my heart. Happy Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your weekend, Katelyn! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand, Sandy. It's hard to find new meals that we all like so when I do, it's a really great thing. I'll make the adjustments they requested for this dish and she if they like it better the second time. We'll see!

      Delete
  10. I've seen those crockpot bags before and never bought them - but you've convinced me! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete