Wednesday, July 01, 2015

DIY: 4th of July Firecrackers

Happy July, Peeps!

A few weeks ago, I was browsing in Hobby Lobby during my lunch break, and fell in LOVE with their resin, painted firecrackers.  And like most people that visit that store, I thought to myself, "Hey!  I can do this!"



And I did it!  Or at least, Alise did it for me!  By the time we got around to starting our little "patriotic project," I had already had my accident, but Alise is such the artist and creator, so she was all about getting her craft on!  

All you need is a cylinder tube and paint! Oh, and a little "sparkle" for the wick.



It may be a little tricky to find the perfect cylinder.  I had originally thought about using a Pringles can - and still might for our next firecracker {because I want them at different heights}! - until I found these cork wine carriers on the 60% off aisle at Michael's one day!  I knew they would work perfectly!  Would you believe the paint and sponge brushes combined cost more than the cylinder? The paint and brushes were $5 and the cylinder was $4, so this little 4th of July project cost less than $10 bucks!!  Yay me!  And compared to the price Hobby Lobby wanted for their firecrackers, I considered it a win!!



Alise did most of the painting for me. It took about three coats of the dull white to cover up the color of the cork. But she insisted I do the red stripes and the stars.  She said, "Mommie, I don't want to mess up your project."  She is so sweet!



Who says you can't paint in one of your favorite summer dresses?  My striping wasn't perfect, but I wasn't going for perfection.  Just a fun project that I could do together with my Baby Girl!




I love how our little "patriotic project" turned out! I've moved my firecracker piece several times, but I think my favorite place is here on the island.  They would still make the perfect wine carriers to a 4th of July party or to a pool party with friends this summer! Alise has already asked me when we're going to make another one! 


I'm linking up with these fun Blog Parties!
Hill Collection
 
The SHINE Blog Hop

The FABulous Journey



Our Three Peas
Join the fun!

16 comments:

  1. That turned out super cute! Alise looks so excited to be helping her mom. And that dress...too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet and so cute! Just love how you mixed it in with the cute decor! Perfect and I hope you have been having one amazing day!!! BTW, rockin' dress!! :-)

    livingoncloudandreanine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea! Hope you have a wonderful 4th holiday as well!

      Delete
  3. What a cute, cute display! I have that same Happy Everything plate and love it! Happy mid-week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew we were Soul Sistas, Lea! #greatmindsthinkalike

      Delete
  4. So cute Laura! I love decorating for the 4th of July - might give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sweet and cute! I think using Pringles cans would be great to get some varying height!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww that is so awesome and cute. Such a clever idea!

    Thanks for sharing (and for linking up to the #SHINEbloghop).

    Wishing you a lovely weekend.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie S12:19 PM

    Very cute firecracker craft! I love your "Happy Everything" plaque - where did you get that, or did you make it? Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, Laurie, I didn't make the Happy Everything plate. I bought it at a local boutique. Try googling Coton Colors (an that's not a misspelling!)! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. This is a great holiday craft idea and the finished product looks great! Thanks for adding your flair to the #funsummerfinds linkup!

    Shellie
    www.thefabjourney.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so good! Awesome that you were able to have fun making it and also save money over buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how the firecracker turned out! SO fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a FUN and super cute craft. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish there was a Hobby Lobby close by, I guess I'll just settle for Michael's ;) Score on the cork cyclinder, it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete