Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Words For Wednesday: Hosea Week 1

If you've been blogging for very long, you may remember years ago that there use to be a meme for bloggers called, "Wordless Wednesday."  Every Wednesday, bloggers would simply post a picture on their blog of some sort, whether it was a cartoon or a picture of their kids or just anything really. No words, no explanation, just a picture.

I'm not quite sure why I mentioned that, because really I'm headed in the opposite direction: words, not pictures. But in order to hold myself accountable this summer to the Hosea Bible Study I'm doing, I thought I would post a few things here every Wednesday to share what I'm learning through prayer and Bible Study.  This kind of post may not be something that you're interested in, and that's okay. I only hope that my experiences and the things that God is teaching me, may be an encouragement to someone else.

First of all, I LOVE Jennifer Rothschild!  I heard her speak once at a Women of Faith conference YEARS ago, but I had never done one of her Bible Studies. Jennifer is blind and you can read more about her by clicking HERE. She's just the cutest, most petite, little ol' Southern Belle with a heart for women's Bible Study. And she dresses cute, too!

Week One: Just Because Love

Most important thing I learned: "We are Gomer.  We are the ones God chose and loves, but who are bent on turning from Him, chasing after other gods." God loves me so much that even when I've betrayed His love, He comes looking for me. Much in the same way that I felt His calling me back to the basics of my faith this summer, through prayer and Bible study. I wrote, "I am God's child, His sheep and His sheep know and hear His voice."

The story of Hosea and Gomer is also the story of God's love for Israel, and it's also the story of His love for me. God has loved me with an everlasting love, yet I am still prone to wander...to find acceptance or approval in other people...To include myself in activities and hobbies that give me a false sense of "high." 

What bothered me this week: Most everyone has heard of Bruce Jenner and his trans-gender change.  And even though this saddens me - I can remember seeing Bruce Jenner on the cover of the Wheaties cereal box! - I am even more saddened by the reaction of my fellow Christians.  And I've wrestled with this because even though I truly believe his actions are wrong, what would I say to Bruce if he were a friend or an acquaintance of mine? Where do we draw the line between "judging" someone and pointing out to someone that their actions are wrong because that's not what God intended for them?  So I asked myself, "What would Jesus say to Bruce?" and I believe He would say the same thing He's told us in His Word. "Bruce, I love you.  I've loved you with an everlasting love.  I've chosen you because I created you and I want you to be with Me forever."  I believe that we're put on this earth to bring joy to our Creator and once we receive His free gift of grace, it's no longer what I want to do, but rather what I can do to bring honor and glory to God. And, oh, how I fail at this daily.  I put my own desires before what God desires for me.  I will confess that anytime I've followed the plan that God has for me in my life, I've never been disappointed and His outcome is always so much more rewarding and better than I could have ever imagined.

Update: I had this post scheduled for today, but wanted to give y'all an update to a picture I posted on IG last night around midnight.  It seems last night, I took a tumble on our stairs and the stairs won!  It wasn't pretty, y'all!  I really thought I had broken my right foot, so Wayne took me to the ER, we had x-rays and got home after 1AM. No broken bones, but sprains severe enough to require crutches. My entire right butt cheek is purple and my elbow was also badly sprained. I've never had crutches before and let me just say, I'm not a fan.  I was hoping I could make it through today with a ten year old nurse, but at 5AM this morning (after the pain medicine had worn off) I was crying and begged Wayne to stay home with me, which he did.  He's the best!  But I honestly need help going to the bathroom! Thank you to everyone for your texts, emails, and comments.  I'm just thankful that nothing was broken, enjoying the pain meds, and hoping to be back to myself soon!

11 comments:

  1. Oh no! Feel better soon! So glad nothing was broken, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, we read Hosea in our small group and its a powerful book about God's love for us even when we don't deserve it, that's for sure. As for Bruce, I'm not surprised to the general public's reaction and support- we live in Gomer's world. I do beleove that God still loves Bruce and I believe he still has an opportunity to have resolution with God-who knows what Bruce is working though right now- God loves him just the same.
    As for yiur fall, I'm so sorry! I'm hoping you are better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny for stopping by. I agree with everything you said.

      Delete
  3. I saw your pictures on IG and I'm so sorry about your fall! Glad nothing was broken - and I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it wasn't broken, but ouch...sounds painful! I'm looking forward to weekly updates about your Bible study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm in quite a bit of pain, but my ankle is getting better. I can actually wiggle my toes today! I'm really enjoying this Bible Study because God is using it to speak to me in so many ways. I'll share them soon!

      Delete
  5. Ok, first, how the heck did I miss your IG post. Oh girlfriend...so sorry!! Sprains are the worst, ask both our girls. One word of advice...stay off it as long as they tell you to!!! Otherwise, you will just risk reinjury. Oh, and make use of your pool...water is good therapy. Just sit (well, as soon as that bum of yours is feeling better ;-) and dangle the foot ankle in the water and make circular motions. Oh, and the dreaded ice baths...awful but they work like a charm to get swelling down and numb the pain. I loved reading your take on the study.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you probably missed my IG post because you were in BED!! I posted a pic around midnight our time of me in the ER. I fell down the stairs around 10:00 that night. I have no idea how my foot got the brunt of the fall. I remember slipping, hitting my elbow, and my hip. But, yes! When Wayne gets home tonight, we're going to spend some time in the pool! Thanks for checking on me!

      Delete
  6. Yikes.... I bet that had to be really painful! Did you cry when you rolled your ankle down the stairs? My mom recently sprained her ankle for the first time in her life. It's a funny story actually.

    ReplyDelete