Friday, June 12, 2015

Why Hello, Peri-Menopause! How Are You?

It's funny (or maybe not!) because as I sit here in my bed, propped up by a bunch of pillows with my right foot elevated and on ice, I'm reminded just how young I'm NOT anymore. Being 42 is hard. As most of you know, I took a tumble on the stairs this week and in the words of the ER doctor, "I believe the stairs won!" And that's just it!  Every since last summer, I've felt like my body is loosing the battle. I'm loosing the battle.

Last summer, it finally hit me that my metabolism was changing. I walked all summer in the 5AM hot temps and humidity and the scale wouldn't budge, even though I was also eating less. And it ticked me off!

And this summer, I have diagnosed myself with peri-menopause.  I don't believe I'm full blown, but I'm certainly in the beginning stages. And like the good patient that I am, I haven't consulted my doctor, but I have done my research. I even checked out a book at the library called, The Change Before The Change, so that makes it official. Official research with an official diagnosis.  Ha! Throw in a little Pinterest research, too! 

You may be thinking that I'm a little young for peri-menopause, but from what I've read - ahem! "researched" - this particular phase can begin as far as ten years prior to actual menopause. 

I said I was going to remember what lead me down this road of self diagnosing, but - and as a symptom of peri-M! - I can't for the life of me remember! I think it all began when I became interested in essential oils and started reading about which oils helped for this and that.  The more I read, I was like, Yeah! That's me!  I have that symptom and that one, and that one, too! Out of like 40 symptoms of peri-M, I've had at least half of them once.  Some symptoms I have quite frequently.

For instance, my first night sweat?  Y'all, I swear to you I thought I had peed in the bed!  I woke up in the middle of the night and I had sweat FLOWING down my legs!!  Y'all know how a glass of ice tea sweats in the heat?  Yea, well, that was me at like 2:00 in the morning!  It scared me because I was like, OMG!  What have I done to myself? My pajamas were soaked and so were the sheets on my side of the bed. Wayne was still snoring away!  I knew I hadn't used the bathroom on myself because I had to actually go to the bathroom. I changed clothes and went and got on the couch until it was time to get up, thinking, What in the world just happened?

My first hot flash?  I was at the office working at my computer and all of a sudden, I thought I was on fire!  I didn't really break out into a sweat, but I had that rush of heat from like the pit of my stomach and I felt like it blew out the top of my head! At the time, I chalked it up to possibly being my blood pressure, but I wasn't under any stress at the time, so I just thought it was weird.  And maybe it wasn't even a full blown hot flash! Who knows?

My more frequent symptoms are headaches/migraines, irritability, mood swings, insomnia (oh, how I hate you!), anxiety, bleeding gums, lack of focus, fatigue, and muscle aches. Yep, that about sums it up!  My periods are still regular, some months are worse than others, but I haven't experienced anything that I would call a change. My martial relationship is still happy, too. IfyouknowwhatImean. My symptoms are more "emotional" right now than "physical" if that makes sense. Oh!  And the fact that I feel like I am going INSANE sometimes!! Literally, like I have lost my mind!!

(And I apologize if this post is more TMI than what you were expecting.  I hadn't intended to go this way with this discussion, either, but I got a nasty gram from the library and they want their book back, so I had to speed it up.  I had really planned to take a more serious approach to this discussion, but honestly, I'm blaming my "just throwing it out there" attitude on the wonderful drugs I'm on right now! I apologize for the rambling.)

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that it's hell to get old.  It's hell falling down the stairs and busting your you-know-what! You don't really realize just how big your you-know-what is until you're looking at yourself in the mirror with a goose egg the size of a softball and it's black.  And I do mean black! A few years ago, I seriously thought this stage of my life was light years away.  I really just didn't think about it. But now that I'm experiencing symptoms, it's such a downer. 

So now that you know all about my peri-M self, I hope you have a great weekend! One that's free of stairs, free of painkillers, free of ice packs and Ace bandages, and free of menopause! Enjoy!

11 comments:

  1. Okay, I will admit...I laughed through most of this post. Not at ya girlfriend, but with you!! Funny thing is...I found myself saying, yup, uh huh, same, ditto...well, you get the picture. However, when I had my hormones checked last fall because I was SURE that was what it was...they were almost perfectly normal!!!!! My doctor then proceeded to tell me that the symptoms were part of my thyroid/adrenal mess...they were still not completely balanced out and they will have a huge effect on your hormones (or such symptoms). So, we are still working on that. My symptoms started around age 40, however I was not diagnosed (because some doctors are clueless, don't listen, just saying) until 45!! While I still have some symptoms, they are not nearly as bad now that I have a better handle on those two issues. Hang in there! Oh, and if your happen to be awake in the middle of the night you can always text me...I am too!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I am totally dying laughing out loud at this post!!! And based on your description and your "research", I now am questioning whether or not I am peri-menopausal as well because girl, I can relate to everything that you are saying. Get well with your foot---that's no fun for summer time play! :) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lord, we are too young for this. I have a friend who's only 40 who is going through it and my mother told me she started in her late 30s. It's not TMI and I'm you're talking about it because we have to. It sounds rough, but I'm glad the marital relations are still going well--andIKnowWhatYouMean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bwahaha! Thank you so much for the LOL this afternoon. Megan! Oh, how I needed it!!

      Delete
  4. I say you try the Whole30 and see what that does for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just move in for a few months, buy the food, cook it, and I'll try it! So proud of you!!

      Delete
  5. I love your blog and I laughed right along with you as I read your post but may I suggest that it is not HELL to get old? Our bodies change, yes, and they are challenges. But Hell? No, I can't buy that. If you think 42 is old, what will you think when you're 62? Or 82? And BTW, I'd say you're exactly the right age to be entering the peri-menopausal stage.

    Great blog, as always, and don't let my comment do anything other than perhaps move your thinking moving in a slightly different direction. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Riley, for your comment. Obviously I was on drugs when I wrote this post. Maybe I should have said that it is so disappointing that the older we get, our earthly bodies begin to deteriorate and we have to realize we're not as young as we use to be. I've never been a fan of getting older. My 30th birthday nearly sent me over the edge until a friend at work convinced me that the alternative was much worse. Hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  6. I'm 52 and have absolutely no peri-menopause or menopause symptoms whatsoever, (other than the difficulty to lose weight). My periods are regular, except, I seem to get them more frequently. I'm on the other side of you, wondering when I'll EVER go through menopause. My doctor says it is highly unusual for someone my age to still be getting periods. Fun read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a little scared to say, "Lucky you, Amy!" I certainly don't want to jinx your good fortune. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  7. Oh girl, can I relate to this! I just turned 48 and have definitely been in peri-menopause for at least a year - and it's the pits! But I don't worry about getting older - after my good friend passed away from a brain tumor, I vowed to quit complaining about my age - because the alternative isn't good :)! Hope you're starting to feel better.

    ReplyDelete