Wednesday, May 27, 2015

What's Up Wednesday ~ May Edition

I'm joining Mel, Sheaffer, & Shay today for an episode of "What's Up Wednesday." Gosh, I can't believe May is nearly gone, but HELLO, SUMMER!  Can I get an amen? 

This month's question is, "What is your favorite thing to grill in June?"  Whell....Wayne does all the grilling at our house! We actually have an outside kitchen that we call, "the cook shack."  My favorite thing that he grills would have to be a steak because I believe my hubs grills the best steaks around.  I'd much rather have his than one at the restaurant.  He also likes to grill shrimp, corn, pineapple, and of course, hamburgers!

WHAT WE'RE EATING THIS WEEK... Junk! Do you hear me?  I can't remember the last time I put a pot on the stove or stuck something in the microwave! We have eaten out for nearly two weeks and while all that's well and fine, it's time to get back to my weekly menu planning! I'm craving some home cooking!  Do you ever get like that too?  I mean, summer is here and it's time for fresh veggies, salads, and homemade ice cream!!

WHAT I'M REMINISCING ABOUT... It's Alise's birthday week, so of course I'm thinking about all the events that lead up to her birth ten years ago. I can't believe our Baby Girl has made it to double digits! It seems like yesterday we were bringing her home from the hospital in her lavender and white embroidered gown and matching bonnet. All my friends told me that the years would fly by, but I had NO IDEA just how fast! "A day in the life of a ten year old" post is coming soon!  Happy Birthday, Alise!  We love you!




WHAT I'M LOVING... I'm in love with my new MacBook Air!  Wayne bought me a new laptop this weekend and it's FAST, y'all! There's definitely a learning curve to going from Microsoft to Apple! 




WHAT WE'VE BEEN UP TO... Someone at the office said that May is a busier month than December is with Christmas. And I had to think about that one. But they're right!  May is a busy month and just by reading my favorite blogs, I can tell that y'all are busy, too!  We've been busy with end of the year activities at school, softball games, Mother's Day with a migraine, a wedding, getting the pool ready, you name it! But the highlight of our month would have to be seeing Taylor Swift in concert last week!  You can read all about it HERE.



WHAT I'M DREADING... A few weeks ago, when the temps were well into the 90's and the humdity was nearly 100%, I wanted to tweet, "I hope all you summer people are happy!"  I don't sweat because I "glisten," and I don't even like to do that when July and August arrive here in Louisiana!  So I'm really dreading the hotter temps that I know are coming our way eventually.

WHAT I'M WORKING ON... I'm working on two posts related to women's health right now that I'm kinda excited about. I'm hoping to wrap up the Hawaiian posts by the end of July.  In non-blog-land, I'm hoping to paint a Christmas present that I've had for two years and never done anything with. It's mine and Wayne's monogram and I plan to put it over our bed.  I also want to finish our picture collage in the hallway this summer. 

WHAT I'M EXCITED ABOUT... I'm just excited that summer has finally arrived! No more homework, no more tests, no more lunches for three whole months! I'm ready to crank up the grill on the weekends and entertain with our family and friends at the cook shack and by the pool! Let the fun begin!



WHAT I'M WATCHING/READING... A friend of mine suggested the Outlander series and even though I tried reading book one about a year ago, I'm STILL struggling with this book! Rebecca suggested I try the book on CD this time and I nearly died when I picked up book one from the library.  It was like picking up three volumes of an encyclopedia! I just. can't. do. it.



I'm also reading, The Governor's Wife by Mark Gimenez, a new author I found a few months ago.  The next book I plan to pick up is Allison Leotta's new novel, A Good Killing.  I love her Anna Curtis series!  As for watching, Wayne and I are trying to get caught up on The Blacklist, Scandal, and House of Cards.

WHAT I'M LISTENING TO... When I'm not listening to Outlander in the car, I'm listening to the '80's Pop Radio & Summer Hits of the '80s - both on Pandora - while I'm out by the pool.

WHAT I'M WEARING... I plan to share in a future post some of the outfits that I've been wearing lately.  I'm not a fashion blogger, but I do tend to link up with some of the fun parties from time to time. Right now, my go-to pieces are maxi skirts, pink chucks, ON shorts, wedges, necklaces, cardigans, and the color yellow. It has taken me over forty years to discover that I love the color yellow!! 

This past Sunday night, I wore shorts, a lacy top, a leopard cardigan and wedges to meet some friends for pizza.  Wayne thought I looked "very nice" {not his exact words but this is a PG rated blog! With a few southern choice words and hissy fits thrown in from time to time!}. My last "fashion post" was HERE when I was sporting my favorite coral pants for the office.

WHAT I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT MONTH... I'm looking forward to Alise going to church camp for the first time in a few weeks. I can't wait to hear about all the wonderful memories she'll make with her friends. I went to camp for the first time when I was in the 4th grade and I loved it!  It was the first time I felt a sense of "independence" away from my parents. I just know she's going to have a great time!

WHAT ELSE IS NEW... I found out this week that our middle school football team and cheerleaders will be traveling to the great state of TEXAS in October to play in COWBOY STADIUM!  I think the parents are more excited than the kids! And what a great opportunity for our small private school! Also, one of Alise's classmates will be competing this week in the National Spelling Bee!  So even if school is out for the summer, we still have a little school spirit going on in our world!  GO MUSTANGS!!

I'm also linking up with Andrea today at her blog, Momfessionals, for her monthly recipe link up.  You can see my recipe for the M&M Cookies I tried from Pinterest.  They were a HUGE hit!  Wayne and Alise absolutely LOVED them!

13 comments:

  1. I forgot to answer the grilling questions, but my answer would definitely be steak as well! So jealous you are already on summer vacation! We still have 16 days left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to answer the grilling questions, but my answer would definitely be steak as well! So jealous you are already on summer vacation! We still have 16 days left!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking cute in your maxi and chucks! And, I completely agree - May is Cray Cray! :) But, we've almost made it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool about the trip to Cowboy Stadium! You can't get much bigger than that. Love your converse's and also your colorful lounge chairs by the pool. Now if the rain will just go away! And I'm adding the 80s summer hits to my Pandora. That is definitely a fun music mix for summertime! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, need to get back to meal planning. We have been all over the place lately, with packing one, moving her home, packing another, traveling to see apartment, then moving another tomorrow. Stop the madness!! Love all your fashion posts. Thinking I need to pick up a pair of pink chucks. Congrats to Alise on hitting double digits. She is such a sweet girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Lauren! Buy the pink chucks! Alise and I both wore ours yesterday while we were birthday shopping for her (Lord, help me! Seriously.) and we got SO many compliments! Alise's are a brighter pink than mine, but I love them.

      Delete
  6. The cook shack sounds like such a fun area and I love your pool too! We're all about grilling as much as we can right now too! So fun about Cowboys Stadium! My husband is a huge Cowboys fan and I love the Dallas area/anywhere in the south so we make a trip every fall and always look so much forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going out to eat is great once in a while, but I'm with you...if we're eating out too much I'm soo ready to just cook at home! Alise's cookie cake looks delicious. I prefer cookies over cake, so that's right up my alley. And yay about the new laptop! I have a Macbook Pro and it's about 5 or 6 years old so it's running kind of slowly these days...I've though about replacing it with a PC since the Macs are so dang expensive...but I just LOVE my Mac so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mattie, unlike me, Alise is definitely a "cookie cake" kind of girl. I, on the other hand, perfer the cake. A chocolate cake. But we did have it with ice cream! Thanks so much for reading!

      Delete
  8. So fun that you went to the Taylor Swift concert!! Also, I love love those pink chucks!! Rock it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Molly! Yes, my daughter and I were "Shak{ing} It Off" this time last week! It was a great Mommie & Me memory! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. SO AWESOME you got to see Taylor Swift!!
    Happy 10th to Alise!
    Love your pink converse!!
    Thanks for linking up with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, lots of cool stuff! I'll have to check that new book out, I love adding new books to my must read list :)

    ReplyDelete