Tuesday, May 26, 2015

M&M Cookies For The Win



A few weeks ago, Wayne made a Sam's run.  

(And just a little side note, I found that most people either love or hate Sam's. I'm in the "hater" category.  And it's not that I HATE Sam's, it's just that I hate to go there.  I don't buy in bulk because we don't eat in bulk.  I mean, who can eat a whole flat of green beans in a month?  Certainly not us.  So we have certain things that we go for, like paper towels, trash bags, toilet paper, etc., but I don't "grocery shop" at Sam's.  But I have friends that do.  I have friends that "go to lunch" at Sam's by going around the store and trying all the freebies. Seriously.  I also don't like to go because I can't get out of there without, at the very least, spending $150 bucks!)

Okay.  So that's my rant for the day.  Back to Wayne.

He made a Sam's run and lo' and behold he brought back not a large bag of M&Ms but the XXL size bag.  I think he was trying to tell me something: Mama needed a chill pill in the form of chocolate!  So what does ONE do when ONE come into possession of said bag of M&Ms?

Well, you make M&M cookies of course!

Here's the easy recipe I used.  The only thing about this one is that the dough has to chill in the refrigerator for several hours and my two peeps were chomping at the bit to try one like, right then! I had to hold them off!  But they both agreed that the cookies were worth the wait!


This is a picture of the cookies before they were baked.  The recipe calls for rather large cookies, but I think next time, I will make them smaller.

M&M Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 instant vanilla pudding
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup of M&Ms, plus more for adding on top before baking
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips, plus more for top 

1. Combine butter, sugars, egg and vanilla in mixer on medium speed until mixed thoroughly.

2. Add flour and pudding mix (dry). Add baking soda and salt and combine on low speed.

3. Add candies and chips on low speed.

4. My dough made about 11 even mounds (next time I will make them smaller). Place the mounds of dough on a cookie sheet covered with wax paper and then flatten.  Add additional M&Ms and chocolate chips on top (I did not add extra chips, just the M&Ms for added color) and refrigerate the dough for 3 hours.

5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  I baked my cookies for 12-15 minutes on waxed paper so they wouldn't burn on the bottom.  You want them just browned around the edges.  I let mine cool for just a few minutes and then I transferred them to a wire rack.

I hope your family enjoys these cookies as much as we did!

For the original recipe and more detailed directions, visit Averie Cooks by clicking HERE. I have also added the pin to our Horton Family Favorites board.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh these look delicious! Cookies with M&M's are way better than just plain chocolate chip cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I TOTALLY agree, Mattie! I'm an M&M eatin' girl. Obviously. Enjoy your week!

      Delete
  2. These look so good! I would love to have one of those right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl I feel you - Harrison loves Costco - I can't stand going. Too many people and you spend way too much! So now I just get all my bulk stuff (paper towels, toilet paper, etc. ) from Amazon Subscribe and Save. Done.

    I'll be making those cookies soon!

    ReplyDelete