Monday, May 11, 2015

Hawaii - Part One

I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd ever go to Hawaii, y'all. It wasn't a place that was on my "bucket list" per se because I had always heard that it was expensive and I'm not really a beach person {I know! GASP!}. 

About a year and a half ago, Wayne and I started discussing what we wanted to do for our 20th wedding anniversary. He asked me if I would like a piece of jewelry, and honestly, I just didn't need anything.  I wanted something we could do together. So of course, when you're talking about an anniversary, your wedding memories are bound to come up and soon we were talking about going somewhere since we didn't have much of a honeymoon all those many years ago.  We talked about going to New York {I've been, he hasn't and didn't want to go}, to an all-exclusive resort {but I'm not a person that can stay in one place for very long}, Alaska {too cold for Spring, although it was actually WARMER in Alaska one day this winter than it was where we live!}, and the Caribbean {You got it! We're not beach people}.  In the meantime, my secretary and her siblings had just taken their 80 year young mother to Hawaii and loved it!  I never dreamed when I told Wayne about their trip that he would agree that it could be a possibility for us.




I'm not even sure how the cruise part came up. Maybe our travel agent mentioned it, but before I knew what was happening, Wayne was holding a Norwegian Cruise Line book!  At the time, we had no intentions of returning to Hawaii and so Wayne decided we needed to "do it up BIG."  Yea, well, "doing it up BIG," meant watching our spending, no Christmas or birthday gifts for a year!  That's how long it took us to save the money to be able to afford our 20 year Honeymoon {taking money out of our savings account was never an option}. The idea of a cruise appealed to us because we'd been on two before and really enjoyed them.  And as first-timers to Hawaii, we would be able to visit ALL the islands and we really liked that!




After our travel agent quoted us a price, I'm not going to lie, I nearly fell out of the chair!  This 20 year honeymoon was costing more than our entire wedding did!  The air-fare alone was more than the cruise.  Of course, the price did not include excursions, either.  We thought about it for a few weeks and finally decided that it was what we wanted to do. I told Wayne, "Well, we may not be able to DO anything on the islands, but at least we can get off the boat."  I paid the deposit over a year in advance and we started dreaming about the day that we would actually get to go.

In June of last year, we were finally able to make some more definite plans with our travel agent.  We confirmed dates for flying {I highly recommend flying out the day BEFORE the cruise!}, booked our room on the cruise and made flight arrangements.  The only extra excursion we booked at that time, was to the Pearl Harbor Memorial, which I insisted on going to.  The entire trip had to be paid for by the beginning of February. 




About March, Wayne started looking at excursions online and at night, after we put Alise to bed, we'd look at them together and try to figure out what we wanted to do.  We also talked to as many people as possible who had been to Hawaii to see what ideas they had. Wayne suprised me by booking the "Road to Hana" tour in Maui {which a co-worker had suggested} and a luau on Kauai.  He knew how much I really wanted to go to a real, live Hawaiian luau! We also made reservations at Mama's Fish House in Maui because my co-worker told us that it's where all the movie stars hung out and the sunset dinner on the beach would be spectacular.  I was beyond thrilled!  And we couldn't go to Hawaii without visiting the Pearl Harbor Memorial.




The anticipation for our trip started building about a month before we left.  We were SO DARN excited!!  I remember the weekend before we left, Wayne had gone with me to Ulta to buy some things and he told the girl behind the register that we were going and by the time we left, the whole store knew because she blurted out as we were walking out the door, "HAVE FUN IN HAWAII!!"  Many of our friends texted us the week before wishing us fun times and bon voyage. 

And on Friday, April 17th, we walked in to the airport at 5 AM all giddy and loaded down with luggage only to find out that our flight had been canceled.

Stay tuned for part two.

If you would like to read my five favorite things about Hawaii, click HERE.

  Mingle 240   Linkup Button

15 comments:

  1. Before hearing about your trip, I had no idea that they even had cruises in Hawaii. So I can't wait to hear more about your wonderful time in Hawaii. I know it was a special way to celebrate 20 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, cliffhanger! But all the stuff you guys had booked and planned sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Mattie! There is simply too much fun and beauty to write about in just one post! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  3. Oh man! That sounds like an amazing trip to celebrate your marriage. I have been to Hawaii twice as a kid but never as an adult. I really want to get there someday. Can't wait to hear about your trip, eeek about the canceled flight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cliffhanger! I've got to know more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Pearl Harbor memorial was the ONE request I made for our trip to Honolulu. I love history and this memorial was a must. I was pleasantly surprised they provided a short documentary to watch before taking the ferry over. I had refreshed my daughters' WWII facts on the trip over (yes, I'm that mom - homeschooling habits die hard!) but figured they actually listened to the film since they may have tuned me out. Cannot wait to read part 2 of your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Renee! I started crying before the documentary even began! You just can't go to Pearl Harbor and not get emotional. I'm a history buff, too!

      Delete
  6. Now I am thinking if we ever do Hawaii a cruise might be the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband and u got married in Maui. We also went to Mama's Fish Housr and it was amazing! Loved Pearl Harbor too. We're talking about going back for our 10 year, I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We honeymooned in Hawaii and loved the road to Hanna!! I am so sorry to hear your flight was cancelled, can't wait to hear what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Karen! The comedian on our ship joked that The Road To Hana was one day in our life that we would never get back! I guess you can relate! Lol!!

      Delete
  9. So fun! My husband and I didn't really have a honeymoon either, and we went to Maui for our tenth anniversary. Since then we've gone back to all the islands several times, but of course it's much easier for us since we live in Seattle. Only a five hour flight! So glad you were able to go - can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike, Lana! Would love to hear about what y'all did! I'm hoping we get the chance to go back again!

      Delete
  10. I've also never been to Hawaii--although now it is a definite on my trip! I love, love, love all of this!

    ReplyDelete