Monday, May 04, 2015

Happy Cinco de Mayo!

{I realize it's May 4th and that Cinco de Mayo is actually TOMORROW, but just roll with me!}

Happy Cinco de Mayo, Lovies!  You can be sure I'm raising my margarita glass to all you Sassy Senoritas today!

I love this Mexican holiday!  Probably because I love Mexican food!  It's nearly impossible for me to have chips and salsa without a margarita, too!

I also get a little sentimental on this day, because before my best friend moved, we would plan an elaborate Mexican feast together and host it at either my house or hers.  It didn't even matter if it was a school night - the party happened!  Chips and salsa, as well as tacos, margaritas {we called her margarita machine, "Margie" - I have no idea why}, and coconut cake for dessert were always staples. Yes, staples.  That's because we always prepared a new dish every year to go along with them.  Oh, and rice and beans.  Gotta have rice and beans!

We'd crank Margie up about mid-afternoon and sip our margaritas while we both went to work in the kitchen preparing our Mexican Fiesta.  Those were great times!

We started with a festive tablescape.  Since my dishes are Fiesta Ware and I have just about all colors, we used my plates.  We also used my red table cloth and complimented it with turquoise, gold and green napkins, flowers, and embellishments to give it that Mexican flair.  Here are a few tablescapes I found on Pinterest that would be perfect for the occassion {I wish I had taken pictures of our hardwork all those years ago}!


Cinco de Mayo Tablescape

Cinco de Mayo. love the striped tablecloth

You'll love these tabletop and entertaining ideas for Cinco de Mayo - tablescape #cincodemayo #spring

CINCO DE MAYO tablescape


We served tacos by way of a Taco Bar and it worked great!  Everyone could serve themselves and it was so much easier than having all the items on the table.  The bar was set with all the traditional trimmings such as pico de gallo, guacomole, jalapenos, black olives, and lots and lots of different cheeses!  We served chips, salsa, and hot cheese dip in ramekins at each dinner place.

We also served a Mexican Dip one year in margarita glasses similar to this picture below.  I've also served this dip at a Bridal Shower in clear tumbler cups and everyone loved it!  The small cups make it the perfect serving!
Refried beans, guacamole, zesty tomatoes, cheese, onions and sour cream layered and served in individual stemmed glasses


When it came to the main course or entree, we each prepared a dish that our own family liked.  As much as Angie and I had in common, our families didn't always like the same Mexican food.  Where my bunch normally liked meals with beef {Where's the beef?}, her family liked chicken, so we made a dish according to those preferences.  Angie made chicken enchiladas, usually, and I made beef burritos. You can't go wrong with Mexican food, peeps!

For dessert, there was always something chocolate and a coconut cake.  I'm not sure why, other than those were our favorites and it just became tradition. Angie had her own recipe, but this version became one of our favorites.  Click HERE for the recipe!

Coconut Poke Cake | "This cake is wonderful. It is so moist and delicious. My all time favorite. If you could rate it more than 5 stars I would."

Now that Angie's moved back to Alabama, the best we can do on Cinco de Mayo is to each take a picture of our margaritas and send them to one another with the caption, "Happy Cinco de Mayo! Cheers!"

Someone asked us once how our Mexican tradition started and it evolved the year Alise broke her arm.  She was in kindergarten and had fallen on the playground.  I was a basket case!  I was upset; of course, Alise was upset and Angie called later that afternoon after we got home from the ER and offered to bring supper by that evening.  She, Robbie, and Maddie all came to check on Alise and brought tacos for supper.  They ended up staying to eat with us. A few weeks later, it was Cinco de Mayo, and we had the big idea to do tacos together again and that, peeps, is how our tradition started! Taco Tuesdays was also born that way, too!

Happy May 5th to you!  Cheers!!

P.S. Here's a question for you!  Do you like frozen or on-the-rocks margaritas? With or without salt?  I'm an on-the-rocks-with-salt kinda girl myself!

P.S.S. Although it's a little too late for this year, I found this amazing site for Mexican inspired blouses!  Who needs May 5th?  They would be SO cute this summer with white or denim shorts and sandals.  The purple blouse is calling my name!

Mingle 240

14 comments:

  1. So glad to see you back! Hope you had a fabulous time in Hawaii! Hope we get to hear about it! I like a good flavored Margarita either frozen or on the rocks, but it can't taste too much like alcohol so it has to be sweet. I forgot about Cinco de Mayo, I may have to change tomorrow to Taco Tuesday, I was going to try a new recipe, but that may need to wait until next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, my friend! Yes, I'm back and I've missed my blog friends so much! I promise that Hawaii posts will begin soon. Look for one this Friday for Friday Favorites!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back to the blogosphere! Sounds like you had a really fun tradition going. Do you remember when those Mexican tops and dresses were all the rage...maybe in the 80s? I love Fiesta dishes and have thought of getting a small set just for fun. Have a good Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie and I had SO much fun on Cinco de Mayo, Tanya! I miss my BFF so much! Yes, I remember the Mexican clothing trend and I liked it! I didn't buy whole sets in Fiesta Ware, but bought individual pieces instead. That's why I have so many colors. They are very sturdy and dependable. I haven't broken one yet and we have concrete floors.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, Laura, this makes me so excited for our Cinco de Mayo party with friends! Love the idea of the bean dip in margarita glasses - you're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your party with friends, Meg! Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi!

      Delete
  4. You should come eat with us tomorrow! I'm doing quesadillas. You can bring the rice and beans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds wonderful, Leigh! I would, but we have a ballgame. Miss you! Maybe we can start the tradition next year!

      Delete
  5. I make a mean guacamole and now I'm hungry for it! Harrison is off in Orlando this week so no major celebration for us. Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please share your guac recipe! I miss your blog and IG pics, Whit!

      Delete
  6. I found your blog on The Larson Lingo. I have a recipe for margaritas just like the one I found there. It's delicious! I am a no salt girl, but like my margaritas frozen or on the rocks. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy! Thanks for stopping by! I've got to try that recipe!

      Delete
  7. You're a girl after my own heart! I'm an on-the-rocks-salted-rim kinda girl too. :) And Mexican food...my favorite! I love those tablescapes you posted. Now I wish I had planned to have a Cinco party! Maybe next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mattie! You can enjoy Mexican food and margaritas any time! Thank goodness, right!?

      Delete