Friday, May 08, 2015

Five Hawaiian Favorites

I'm baaaaaaaack!!  And it's Friiiiiidaaaay!  And I'm excited because this is my first post about Hawaii!!

If you've been reading my blog lately, then you know that we just returned from a Hawaiian cruise to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary.  To say we had an awesome time would be such an understatement!  I have several future posts in the works regarding our cruise, excursions, and experience, so check back again soon if you're stopping by from the link ups!!  For today, though, I thought I would share my five Hawaiian favorites.  Other than the beautiful beaches, landscapes, and scenery, of course {And if you follow me on Instagram, you may have already seen most of these pictures, but I promise there are lots more to come soon!}.





Here we go!

{one.} Wearing a flower in your hair.  While we were at our muster station drill on the cruise the first day, I noticed all the women were wearing flowers in their hair.  After we were dismissed, we walked by a gift shop and we stopped in for me to ask where I could find one {the flowers everyone were wearing were fake} and so I bought one. I mean, who am I to buck Hawaiian tradition?  Little did I know, I was wearing my flower on the WRONG side?  Who knew that wearing a flower in your hair on the RIGHT side {which is my personal best hair side} meant that I was telling everyone that I was "available?"  "Married" or 'taken" women are suppose to wear their flowers on the LEFT side.  I don't remember how I found out about this Hawaiian fashion faux pas, but I was quick to move my flower to the left side.  I mean, after all!  It was our 20th anniversary!  I have been happily "taken" for a while!  Later on, in Kona, I bought a BIGGER flower because the smaller one was hard to see in my hair.



This is a picture of us at Cagney's Restaurant on the ship on our 20th anniversary.  We had gone to the farmers' market that day and a lady was hand making leis.  I picked up this one for $7 - which was awesome because the ones I saw at the airport ranged upwards to $31!! - and it smelled wonderful.  I even asked her to make me a flower bracelet to wear to the luau. The pink flowers were Plumeria, which is a new favorite fragrance and flower of mine. I wore a flower in my hair everyday until we got back home and wore a leis every night when we dressed up for dinner. On Monday, Alise wore my flower in her hair to school and I didn't even have to tell her what side it needed to go on!  She automatically put it on the right side.



{two.} Shaved Ice. I don't know what you call 'em where you live, but here in Louisiana, we call 'em, sno-cones. Well, sno-cones they are NOT in Hawaii.  I had my first shaved ice treat in Paia on the island of Maui {more to come of that little excursion}. Oh my goodness!  It was like eating flavored cream, y'all!  I'm a sucker for anything grape flavored, but just as I was about to say, "Grape," when asked what flavor I wanted, my inner child came out and I blurted out, "Rainbow!"  And so I had my first rainbow shaved ice!  I could eat one everyday because it's not as sweet as they are here and it doesn't taste like ice, if that makes any sense.  It is a cool, refreshing treat!


{three.} Luau Kalamaku. Really, there are no words to describe this experience, y'all!  It is everything that you could possibly imagine about Hawaii!!  There's the fire twirling dude, and the grass hulu skirts jiggling, and the scary masks, and the pig, and the torches, and all the dancing and hollering that goes along with telling this Hawaiian story.  And let me just say that the Disney luau at the Polynesian Hotel is NO COMPARISON {do not waste your money!  I would recommend not doing it even before we went to Hawaii!}! The costumes were so elaborate and it made for a beautiful evening.  The picture below does not even begin to do the experience justice.




{four.} Pineapple.  I've never been much of a pineapple fan until...you guessed it!  Oh my goodness! It was the best I had ever tasted y'all! Every morning for breakfast, I specifically ordered a bowl of fruit just so I could eat all the pineapple first!  And let's just say that one might want to take it easy on eating the pineapples out of their umbrella drinks by the pool!  Ha! The day we went to the Farmer's Market, we saw rows and rows of pineapple and every other fresh fruit that you could imagine.  It certainly put our local farmer's market to shame!  There were also fresh vegetables and Wayne wished we could take some things home with us, but of course, we couldn't.  When picking out fresh pineapples, just remember, the yellower the fruit, the sweeter it is.  If you chose a pineapple that isn't sweet enough, use salt to increase the acid/sweetness.  Also, the points on the fruit should be about a quarter in size for best ripeness.  Just a little pineapple trivia for my readers!  Ha!  The only thing I wish I had had a chance to try was the papaya.  I've never tasted it, although we drove by the farms on our way to the Macadamia Nut Factory {another story for another day}. 




{five.} The rainbows.  I'll admit, I was kinda leary of the Hawaiian scenery and tales of never ending rainbows before our trip.  I just assumed that the pictures I'd seen of Hawaii had been "brushed up" and that rainbows surely weren't as common as everyone said they were.  Oh, how wrong I was!  Beautiful, y'all! Just beautiful!  I remember thinking, how in the world could Heaven be any more gorgeous?  I mean, think of a place that you never wanted to leave and that you thought was the most beautiful place on earth.  Now try to multiple that by 1,000.  You can't!  God has such a surprise for us when we get to Heaven!  The first rainbow we saw was on our way back from Road to Hana in Maui and I jumped and shouted to everyone in the van, "There's a rainbow!" You would have thought by our words and expressions that we had never seen a rainbow before!  We saw one every single day we were there and one afternoon while I was out by the pool, we saw a double!




Happy weekend, everyone!  And Happy Mother's Day!  I hope you have a wonderful Sunday spending time with those you love! The Horton Family

15 comments:

  1. Ah.....I wanna go to Hawaii soooo bad!!! I enjoyed reading your post and seeing your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've told everyone that Hawaii is just as beautiful as the pictures you see in the magazines or online!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I would do to go to Hawaii right now! What a fun and tropical trip, thanks for the tips! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny you mention shaved ice as one of your favorites. Our family loved them! We had at least one every day of our trip. Looks like you two had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Renee! I had good intentions of getting another one before we left and I never did. One of my regrets.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like you had such a wonderful time. I love your enthusiasm. My husband and I love to travel together as well, but we've never been to Hawaii. It is on my bucket list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous pictures! And yes, sno cones don't even compare to shaved ice (although, we have it here in the Northwest at fairs and such too). Also, love your flamingo tee! I just ordered the button-up version for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has asked me about the flamingo tee. I guess I just got lucky that day in Target because no one else can find it. Only in the button-up version. But I think it means we have good taste, Mattie!

      Delete
  7. Looks like a wonderful trip...what a beautiful place! There's nothing like fresh pineapple. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love fresh pineapple and a beautiful rainbow! Great pics, can't wait to hear more about the trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous pics! You brought back some fun memories! The drive to Hana, the shaved ice, the unbelievable beauty! Looking forward to your upcoming posts! So glad you guys had a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures! We went to Hawaii for our honeymoon and would LOVE to go back for our 20th :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hawaii is one of my most favorite places on the planet, and I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time. Shave Ice is the best, and nothing else really compares! Looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing trip. I loved keeping up with you on Instagram. I've never been to Hawaii and now I want to go more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing trip. I loved keeping up with you on Instagram. I've never been to Hawaii and now I want to go more than ever.

    ReplyDelete