Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Liebster Award Day

The FABULOUS Brittany and Katie gave me a HUGE surprise last week and this week by honoring me with the Liebster Award!  Thank you so much, ladies, for your kindness!

You can find out more about these sweet girls here by clicking on their blog below:

The View From Up Here
Better Off Benedict

They had some great questions for me and only one was identical, so I kinda combined them all here:

1. Why did you start your blog? I've been blogging for a while - since 2006 {Wow!  Just seeing that makes it hard to believe that it's been nearly TEN YEARS! I didn't even know what a blog was until I read about it in a magazine all those years ago!}! Our family blog continues to be our family scrap book.  I started it so that our out-of-town family could keep up with us, but through the years, writing has also become a type of therapy for me.  I rant, I cry, I blog. I don't pretend that my life is all rosy.  I post the good and bad.

2. Where do you get inspiration for your posts? Mostly just every day life.  Since it's our scrap book, I'm hoping that the internet is still around one day so that Alise can go back and read and see all the fun we had as a family.  I know there are sites that will "print" your blog, but gosh!  After nearly ten years, that would probably cost me a fortune!

3. Where is your favorite vacation spot? Well, seeing as how our Hawaiian Cruise is coming up in a few days, I would say there.  But honestly, it's wherever we are as a family.  As much as I'm looking forward to getting a week away with my man, I'm going to miss Baby Girl.  We've been to Disney twice and to the beach several times.  I would like to vacation sometime in the future out west.

4. Do you belong to any bloggers associations? No, I've never had any interest.

5. What is something people would be surprised to know about you? I suggest reading this post!

6. What's your favorite memory from the last year? My favorite memory is Christmas morning when Alise saw Jack for the first time.  She had NO idea she was getting a puppy for Christmas and just the awe and wonder of it was great.  I get such a joy watching her cheer, too.

7. What is your favorite quote?  My favorite Bible verse is Jeremiah 29:11.

8. Guilty Pleasure? A cosmopolitan. Chips, M&Ms, and chocolate chip ice cream!  Oh, and chocolate cake! With ice cream!

9. Favorite movie/book? My favorite movie is Titantic. My favorite book is Redeeming Love.

10. What are three words that would describe you? Loyal, Southern, introvert

11. Which bloggers inspire you the most? When I started blogging, most of the blogs at that time were about family life and I made some AH-MAZing friends.  Unfortunately, some of them no longer blog, but we still keep in touch via social media.  Now it seems that the areas of interest are fashion, recipes/food, etc. and, although those things interest me, I miss that personal connection and relationship with people. I believe the cellphones and selfies have opened up a whole new world for bloggers.  I'm more prone to read someone's blog who is authentic and genuine and that I share common interests with.  I don't read blogs just because you cook well or like taking fashion selfies.  There has to be a connection for me.  I also miss the blogging community and comments.  You know, comments use to be a way of meeting new bloggers and nobody does that now.  It makes me think that some people are more interested in having the greatest and best blog and not care about their audience.  I don't want to fall in that trap.

12. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be? I honestly have no idea.  I enjoy my life where I am right now and God has placed me in Louisiana for a reason. I definitely have no desire to live over seas.

13. What is your favorite store? Nordstrom's.  Unfortunately, we don't have one where I live, so I do alot of online shopping.  Their customer service is like no other.

14. What are three things you never leave home without? My cellphone {I will drive back home to get it!}, lipstick, my debit card!  Ha!

15. What is your favorite thing to do on the weekends? I enjoy spending time with my family.  I like to bike ride with Alise and sit at our outside kitchen {also known as "the cook shack"} in the evenings and talk to Wayne while he grills.  Sometimes we'll watch a movie together outside.  In the summers, we all swim together in the evenings - until the mosquitoes take over!

16. Who is your hero? I would have to say Princess Diana.  I admired her so much growing up as a little girl.  I watched the royal wedding, read about when she gave birth to the princes and kept up with her wildly popular wardrobe.  She was my first glance at a real princess.  I admired her tight-lip philosophy (unlike so many celebrities today), the love she had for her children and the humnaitarian causes that she supported.  To me, she was perfect and even though I was studying for the CPA exam at the time, I got up at 3AM to watch and cry through her funeral.  A life gone entirely too soon.

17. What was your dream job when you were a child? I don't know that it was necessarily a "dream job," but I wanted to be a teacher.  And a ballerina, but I was never tall enough.

18. What is your biggest pet peeve? People who drive slow in the left lane!!  I think every highway, road, street, avenue, boulevard in the U.S. should be FIVE lanes so that there is a turning lane and that people KNOW it's a turning lane so they can TURN!!

19. What is your favorite food? My favorite food is just about anything Mexican or Italian.  I'm a carb girl, what can I say?  I can put down some chips and salsa and spaghetti!  Just not together, of course.  Yuck!

I nominate the following blogs:

The Mason Bunch (my sweet Southern Belle Cousin)
Life In My Empty Nest
MeginTime
The Other Side of the Road
Keeping It Real One Day At A Time
Simply LKJ
My New Favorite Outfit
A Lovely Little Wardrobe

Go ahead and answer the questions below, create a new set of 10 questions, then pass the award on to 10 other bloggers that have less than 200 followers--making sure to notify them!

Here are your questions
1.  If you could have dinner with anyone in the world, dead or alive, who would it be?
2.  What is your favorite childhood memory?
3.  Dust, mop, clean the bathrooms or vacuum?  Which is your least favorite and why?
4.  What are (or would be) staple vegetables in your summer garden?
5.  What one thing would you do differently on your wedding day?
6.  What do you put on your hot dog?
7.  If you were granted three wishes, what would they be?
8.  How do you fold your socks?
9.  What do you enjoy most about blogging?
10.  If you could have one super power, what would it be?

14 comments:

  1. Thanks, Laura!! Great questions, I can't wait to work on them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. People who drive in the left lane drive me nuts!! Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Katie!

      Delete
  3. I always love reading more about you. Thanks for the nomination!! And yes, people who drive under the speed limit period get on my nerves!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how fun. Here I thought I was just reading your blog and learning new things about you. Then it turned into homework. I love this! I'm leaving on vacation soon, so it might take me a bit, but I'm going to do it. I agree about the blogging--for me it's about the connections. I'm glad I made a connection with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, how sweet Megan! I'm glad we've become blog friends, too! Enjoy your vacation!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for the nomination! I'm so glad I "met" you through blogging! I didn't know you had been blogging for so long! I also see my blog as a scrapbook for our family. I agree that blogging has definitely changed over the years. There are a lot more "professional" bloggers nowadays. I'm looking forward to answering your questions on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so impressed that you have been blogging for almost ten years. This was so much fun to read, and I loved getting to know more about you. I agree, my favorite blogs are those where I feel a connection with the writer - which is why I enjoy yours so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Lana!

      Delete
  7. I love getting to know you better Laura! I cant believe you have been blogging for nearly 10 years! Way to go! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Susan!

      Delete
  8. This is such a fun post! I can't believe you've been blogging so long, you're such a pro! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginny, did you see my very first thrift find on IG earlier this week? I was so proud of myself!

      Delete
  9. I remember getting up and watching the royal wedding when I was young so when it was time for Kate & William to get married I totally drug my Carly Jo out of bed and we watched the wedding together. I hope she will always remember it. Can't wait to hear about your vaca!

    ReplyDelete