Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Just a Thriftin'

Let me just go ahead and tell y'all that I don't thrift shop.  I TAKE clothes to consignment shops, not BUY clothes from consignment shops.  Whelp!  That all changed last week!

Several of the fashion blogs that I've been reading lately have mentioned thrift shopping and the great deals they find when they do {locally and on line}. They find name brands for lots less dollars. I've never been a lucky person so finding a "good deal" to me is like finding a needle in a haystack!  When I shop, I don't like to "dig" through racks and racks of clothes.  If I see something and like it, I buy it.  Sometimes the item is on sale and sometimes it's not. Having said that, those are the main reasons why shopping at thrift or consignment stores has never appealed to me. Also, the idea of wearing somebody else's clothes that I don't know kinda freaks me out!

So last week, the sun FINALLY decided to shine for three days straight and I decided to get out of the office for lunch to enjoy it {I normally work through lunch}.  I decided to see what all the hub bub was about with thrift shopping so I went to one location of our local Goodwill and then, to a consignment shop. And let me just say that I was pleasantly surprised.  I didn't have to "dig" through racks of clothes!  Everything at Goodwill was segregated by type of item, size and then color, which made it alot easier to shop.  The clothes were hung neatly and the store was clean {but you did have to overlook the musty smell}.  I actually found a very cute yellow jacket and I was able to try it on in a clean dressing room without having to ask someone to unlock the door for me {A pet peeve of mine!}.  I ended up getting the jacket for a little over $7 with tax!  I was excited!

Next, I visited the consignment shop and it was set up more to resemble an actual retail store.  It had dressed mannequins, jewelry, and scarves.  The selection was smaller (due to the store size compared to Goodwill), but I ended up finding three blouses for $11 with tax! I was pumped!

The thrill of thrift shopping is there, but as far as finding that name brand item at an oh-so great price just isn't going to happen in our area because we don't have the high end stores here.  None of the items I bought were brands I had heard of before, except for the green blouse and it is Forever 21.  I saw some Talbot pieces and one Banana Republic t-shirt that was a size XS.  So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I believe the thrift store shopping can be a lucrative hobby depending on where you live and the stores in your area.

Will I do it again?  Probably so. But not anytime soon.

One thing I won't be doing is buying shoes!  Wearing someone else's shoes {that I don't know} is just a complete turn off to me.  If I found shoes that I just had to have, they would have to still be in the box for me to buy them! Just sayin'!

I'm linking my thrifting thoughts up with these blogs this week!



Thoughts for Thursday

7 comments:

  1. I suck at thrift shopping. I've tried so many times when I drop off clothes at Plato's closet to dig through the racks and I've never had any luck. Those people who are good at it even at TJ Maxx and Ross, etc inspire me...I have just never lucked upon something special.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, thrifting can be great. I was out of control a few years back and ended up with tons of "deals" I only wore once. If sounds like you found a few cute things but didn't go overboard : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm horrible at in-person thrifting. I don't do well with searching through racks of clothes. I wish I was better. I don't even do well in places like TJ Max. But I have recently discovered on-line thrifting. I've even purchased shoes--ha! I guess the good deal made me overlook it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Were those the Tory Burch flats, Megan? I think even I could slide my foot into a nice pair of used TB's!

      Delete
  4. I am not a great clothing thrift shopper, because I need a store that I can see what I like and they have it in all sizes. I dig through a rack for about 2 minutes before I am done! But I do like to get "things" candle holders, decor, books etc. at thrift stores. I just take a quick walk through sometimes and have gotten some great finds!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother is the queen of thrift store shopping! I think everything she owns came from a thrift shop. Of course, she's retired, so she has plenty of time to devote to "the hunt". I go occasionally if I have time. I recently found two brand new Ann Taylor skirts - tags still on - for $5 each. I felt like I won the lottery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome find, Lana! If only I could be so lucky!

      Delete