Wednesday, March 11, 2015

A Welcoming Brunch For Winners

This past Saturday, our church sponsored a 5K run to raise money for over seas missions.  Y'all know I am no runner, but I have several friends who are {I DID start my three mile walks this past weekend, though}.  They tried their best to sweet talk me in to walking the race, and I even considered it until I found out the temps were going to be in the high twenties.  I quickly changed my mind.

On Thursday night, I got a crazy idea to host a brunch for my friends that were crazy enough to run in the race despite the weather {crazy friends tend to stick together}. I thought that if I wasn't running {or in my case, walking}, the least I could do was have a hearty brunch waiting for my friends afterwards.  My only regret was that I did not have the idea sooner because I would have loved to have had more time to plan.

Did I say one regret?  I mean two.  The second has to do with the fact that once my starving party arrived, I forgot to take pictures of the small buffet.  I was so upset that I didn't have any "proof" of my efforts.  I also didn't get a single picture of my guests, but I'm sure they didn't mind too much coming from a 5K! Oh, well. I'll share what I do have!

On Friday after work, I had some major errands to run to get ready for the brunch.  I went to a favorite paper and party supply store and fell in love with some napkins that had pineapples on them.  Pineapples are the "welcoming symbol" of the South and although I had planned to originally go with a St. Paddy's Day theme, once I saw the napkins, I knew they would be perfect!  I was also able to find some fancy shmancy scalloped plates in a muted yellow to match. I picked up some flowers for the buffet, but I was so disappointed that the store didn't have any tulips or daffodills.  Like I said, I'll be a better planner next time!

I'm fortunate enough to have a rather large island in my kitchen and any time we entertain or have friends over, it's the centerpoint of our gathering.  Since the party and brunch was small, I decided to use only about a third of our island.  I decorated with a spring mix in a white pitcher and my Happy Everything plate {it always makes an appearance no matter what the party is}. On the other side of the island, I had a tiered basket grouping of pasteries.



The only picture I actually got of the food was this shot of the strawberry parfaits I prepared.  I used plastic tumblers and layered with strawberry yogurt, fresh, diced strawberries, and right before we ate, I sprinkled granola on top.  I put them on ice in a huge Arthur Court bowl that I have.  I thought it was a great idea, if I do say so myself!


Here is a picture of the place settings {I realized after I took this picture that I had totally lost my mind and forgot how to set a table!  I quickly switched the fork and spoon before anyone else realized it, too!}.  I used gold chargers that I normally use at Christmas.  I used houndstooth placemats that I already had and I thought they went well with the gold and pineapple theme.  What do you think of the napkins?  Since the brunch was a buffet, I decided to place the plates on the island for easy pick up and grab.



More pictures of the table.  Our dining table is small {we don't have a formal dining room} and only sits four.  In all honesty, we never sit at the table to eat except an occassional Sunday lunch after church or Sunday dinner.  Having said that, I knew I didn't need an overpowering centerpiece, nor did I want one so that we couldn't see one another over it.  I used some gold goblets that I normally keep in the living room and added some fake greenery.  Simple.



Now would be a good time to tell you about the miniture pineapples I found at the grocery store.  They would have been PERFECT for our brunch and the girls could have taken them home as party favors {I normally always do some type of party favor}, but I could only find three and they were rather expensive.  My sweet friends are worth it, though!  If I could have found another one, I would have bought all four.

Here is the menu I prepared.  I provided the link for the quiche and I plan to post my cheese grits recipe soon.  It's actually my boss' recipe that she gave me a few years ago for a baby shower and I use it quite often when I make shrimp and grits.  Yummy!



Cheese Grits

Bacon

Strawberry Yogurt Parfaits

Various Pasteries & Sweets

Milk, various juices, sodas, water


Today I'm linking up with While I'm Waiting.  Thanks for stopping by, y'all!

 

5 comments:

  1. What a sweet friend you are! I know they all appreciated it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still can't believe you didn't take a picture of us beautiful (crazy!!) runners!! Ha!! Brunch was amazing!! You are a sweet sweet friend to do that for us!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it, Leigh! Beats running in my opinion! Haha!

      Delete
  3. How fun, this was so sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet thing to do! I know everyone loved all the little touches you added to make it perfect! Everyone needs a friend like you! Thanks for linking up with Waiting on...Wednesday! Hope to see you back tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete