Wednesday, February 11, 2015

I Dip You Dip We Dip

I'm planning something really fun and neat for my Valentines this year!!

We don't normally make a big deal out of VDay.  Wayne and I exchange cards and then we give Alise one together.  I normally get her a small heart shaped box of candy.  Wayne and I may or may not go out to eat and to a movie the week before or the week after and sometimes Alise even goes with us.

A local country club is offering a Valentine's dinner for this Saturday night.  The steak meal includes salad, baked potato, and dessert.  At the time, I thought it was the perfect date night for Wayne and I because that meant no standing in line at the restaurants and the price was reasonable.  Then I remembered that we were trying to save money this month by not eating out.  And I knew Alise's feelings would be hurt if she wasn't included on such a special day.

So.....I decided to come up with my own game plan!



We're having a FONDUE PARTY FOR VALENTINE'S DAY!!

The Melting Pot is one of our favorite fondue restaurants!  But the closest one to us is probably in Baton Rouge, which is about four hours away.  We introduced Alise to our favorite spot a few years ago when we were in Memphis over spring break.  Now, anytime we even mention going back to Memphis, she asks, "Can we go to the Melting Pot {Baby Girl has expensive tastes}?"  The first time I ever had fondue was in Nashville and I became a big fan.  A few years later, I introduced it to Wayne, thinking he wouldn't like it, but my man surprised me! He loved it, too! 

I've never owned a fondue pot.  But after a little research, I decided to go with an electric fondue set, perferably this Cuisinart set from Bed Bath & Beyond. I felt like an electric version would heat faster and I wanted one that cleaned up easily.  This one had great reviews.

My plans are to serve two courses Saturday night: a cheese appetizer course and a chocolate dessert course.

Click HERE for the recipe I'll be using for our Cheese Appetizer.  I've never mixed cheese and beer before, but I know the appetizer we pick at the Melting Pot does have a little beer added to it.  My favorite dippers to use in the cheese are granny smith apples, bread, and cauliflower.

For dessert at the Melting Pot, we always get the Flaming Turtle.  It's a mixture of caramel and chocolate with a dessert liquour that the waiter lights to make the flame.  HERE's the yummy recipe we'll be having for Valentine's Day.  A spin off of our favorite!  I'll had fruit, small pieces of cheese cake or brownie, rice krispie treats and marshmellows.  My favorite is the bananas.

So what are your plans for Valentine's Day?  Will you enjoy the day with your Sweetheart or with your Sweetfamily?  However you celebrate, have fun and enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds so good and fun for your daughter too. I need to start making some plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds super fun! It's my weekend off from Whole30 so I'm having some chocolate and sushi!! All while being in Houston for the final cheer tournament

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh fun!! I have a coupon for BB&B if you need it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going to have fondue as well. However, we are doing the hot oil version. We have been doing it for many years. Started out as our New Year's Eve dinner with the girls, but now that they have their own plans, we now have it for Christmas Eve. They look forward to it every year. We have the traditional fondue pot, but we bought the Cuisinart one for Elie and it is AMAZING!! It is easier to keep the temperature regulated and a breeze to clean up.

    ReplyDelete