Tuesday, February 17, 2015

How I Met Mr. Horton

Today I'm linking up with Andrea at Momfessionals for her link up party. Today's theme is how you met your mate or got engaged.  And I know that there are probably some AH-MAZE-ing stories out there {and I plan to read most of them!}, so I'll try to keep mine short and sweet.  Because obviously, our story is not that!...short and sweet.



January 1993.  I was twenty years old and dating Wayne's roommate.  But I didn't know I was dating Wayne's roommate.  For privacy reasons, let's just call my boyfriend, J. J and I had been seeing each other on-again, off-again for about a year.  In between that time, J had gotten a new roommate.  So when J invited me over to watch a movie one night in January, I had NO idea who he was talking about when a car door slammed outside and J said, "Aw, man!  My roommate's home."  I didn't think anything about it when the roommate came in carrying a Taco Bell bag and plopped down in the recliner and started talking non-stop so that we didn't get to finish the movie.  

Fast forward to Spring semester of college that year and guess who walks in my Economics class?  Yep!  He takes the seat right behind me and drives me crazy all semester!  When he DID come to class, he would either sleep or read the newspaper.  Then, he would call me and ask if he could copy my homework or cheat off me on the test.  I was like, "Fool, who ARE you?!"  Wayne was a flirt, and even though J and I had decided to go our separate ways again, I was NOT interested in Mr. Horton.

The rest of the story is all a God thing.  Today, over twenty years later, it still amazes me how God changed my heart toward Wayne.  He was the BIGGEST pest!  The man drove me crazy!!  By the end of that Spring semester, I was seeing someone else, but I knew it wasn't the relationship that God wanted for me. So I began to pray for God to send me a Christian husband.  Little did I know that He had already answered my prayers before I ever prayed a word.

The unhealthy relationship ended and even though I knew that person wasn't the one for me, I was devastated.  I remember studying for our Economics final that May afternoon.  I was in my room, no one was home, the house was quiet {I still lived with my parents}.  And out of the blue - the only way I know how to describe it, is literally, it was like a light bulb going off in my head - I had this thought that I needed to call Wayne.  I just needed to call him.  So I did.  I have no idea what we talked about that day, but I remember Wayne was surprised to hear from me {because he always did the calling and most of the time I hung up on him}.  After finals were over, I went to stay with my grandmother for a few days and she just "happened" to live in the same small town as Mr. Horton.  We spent alot of time riding around in his jeep those days with the top down. And I admit that he was the first boy I ever kissed on the first date {see how pushy he was?!}.

Fast forward to Easter 1994 when I thought I was getting my engagement ring {we had already gone together to pick it out, but the ring had to be sent to California to have the band made - long story!}.  The ring didn't come back in time and I was so disappointed.  A few weeks later, Wayne and I were sitting in a TCBY one Wednesday night.  That semester, I was taking intermediate accounting two nights a week and I was extremely upset because I felt like I had just majorly bombed an exam.  I'm drowning my sorrows in white chocolate yogurt when Wayne pulls out a little black box and asked me to marry him.  Of course, my mood changed and the yogurt went in the trash!  We ran outside and used the payphone - yes!  a payphone! - to call my mom to tell her we were engaged!  It was one of the happiest moments of my entire life!




Wayne and I will be celebrating TWENTY years of marriage this April!  Honestly, I never thought we'd make it that far.  Not because I thought we'd get divorced or anything like that, but because my mind just couldn't imagine being with somebody that long!  Face it, friends move away, parents pass away, there are not many people that can say they will always have each other for that long in this day and age.  But Wayne has stuck by me and other than the Lord, he has never left my side.

I love you, Wayne!

7 comments:

  1. Great story! 20 years married is wonderful! My husband and I will be 10 years this year, but have been together for 18!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hearing engagement/wedding stories! And I love, love, love your new header and profile picture. I so need to update mine, but Elie usually does it for me and is so busy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that story!! W has always been a pest!! ;) But he has the biggest heart!! I love both of you!! (You deserve a diamond or 2 for putting up with him for 20 yrs!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Leigh! With the cruise this year, I think diamonds are out. Maybe for 25 years?

      Delete
  4. What a great love story! I'm so glad you decided to give him a call...definitely a God thing when you feel that quiet voice in your heart giving you guidance. Congrats on 20 years together. April is our anniversary too (21st), although we're a few years behind you.

    Just love the new look on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, Tanya! Great minds think alike!!

      Delete
  5. This is getting just a little weird....my wedding dress from my first wedding is almost identical to yours!! And I had all those candles too. What a fun story and congrats on 20 years! And YEA...I'm commenting directly from Bloglovin. :)

    ReplyDelete