Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Finding JOY In Poetry


Don't let the title of this post fool you!  I probably should have titled this post, "Finding JOY In A Poetry Project," because that's just what this rant is about to be about!

JOY! JOY! JOY!

Alise and her class are on the unit, Poetry, for their reading curriculum for the next few weeks.  This unit will count as TWO test grades and right now, Alise needs all the help she can get in reading after not doing so well on a vocabulary test {that we studied two weeks for, but that's a different story!} a few weeks ago.  So.  Oh, if you peeps could just see the words and definitions for this unit!!

So.  Last Tuesday evening, I was blessed with the wonderful surprise of a Poetry PROJECT!!  I texted a friend of mine whose son is Alise's table partner and asked if she had seen it.  At that time, she hadn't, but at 7:30 the next morning, she had a few choice words for me to read on my phone about it.  You can just imagine!  Alise has to read TEN poems, five can be children's poems and the other five have to be "adult" poems.  She has to give a summary of all ten, applying the concepts of poetry that they are learning in class like metaphors, imagery, yada, yada, yada! 

Can you say, GAG ME WITH A SPOON!!!

And this was all planned over the Super Bowl Weekend!!

Who wants to sit around watching the Super Bowl and reading poetry!!??

Now that I think about it, I should have given all our guests a poem to read and summarize!!  WA-LA!!  Project Complete!!

Y'all just don't know how bad I cringe over projects.  Wayne and I have to play rock/paper/scissors to decide who has to do it.  Because admit it.  These ARE parent projects.  However, since y'all already know that my Man doesn't read, that made me the "Poetry Expert"  and - in the words of Celebrity Apprentice, "Project Manager."  Woo-hoo!!



JOY! JOY! JOY!

The first poem Alise and I read was Robert Frost's, Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening.  Short, simple.  We read it and I asked Alise, "Well?  What did you think about it?"  She answered just about as matter-of-factly as you can get, "I hated it."

Ugh!

That's when I started beating my head against the granite island countertop!

"I want to read Emily Dickinson,"  Alise said.

"Why?  All she writes about is death!  And how do you know about Emily Dickinson anyway?" I asked.

"I don't know."

Well, there ya go!

A few days later, I was agonyly {I know that's not a word, but that just goes to show you what mental pain and suffering this project was causing me - much like an Emily Dickinson poem!} surfing the internet hoping and praying God would bless me with something when I came across Shel Silverstein's poem, Messy Room!  What a PERFECT poem for my little messy room nine year old {And let me just say that I was surprised to find that Mr. Shel was a "he"}! Thank goodness it was a poem that Baby Girl liked and could do on her own!

All I can say is that this was NOT a fun project and NOT how I wanted to spend my Friday night!

3 comments:

  1. I feel your pain! Sometimes I can't believe what the kids are already studying in elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That project does not sound fun at all! I loved reading Shel Silverstein's poems in elementary school. I should have Carter read the Messy Room poem. He would get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this brings back memories! If I had a nickel for each of the "projects" I was a manager (did) when the girls were younger I'd be filthy rich! LOL
    Next time one of those random projects comes along, let me know, I am sure we have remnants of said projects collecting dust in the basement! ROFL

    ReplyDelete