Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Auction Action

Thank you so much for your kind words about my new blog design.  It's still under construction, but I'm loving the new, clean look!  It's red, it's houndstooth, it's just me! Shannon has been AWESOME to work with!  Believe it or not, she's been working behind the scenes on my blog since right after Christmas, so it's definitely been a work in progress!  And for all you cool peeps that can do your own blog design, well, good for you!!  I just don't have the patience.  Or the time, really.  So, thank you, Shannon!

And I will go ahead and apologize for the rather long post, but I have lots of words to use today.

This past Friday night was the annual auction at Alise's school and it's our biggest fund raiser for the year.  Wayne and I had never been before but had planned to go this year even before Kristin invited us to sit at their table. We ran into some softball friends of ours {Hey Jennifer!} that are thinking about sending their sweet daughter to our school in the fall (One of the first things Jennifer said to me was, "I read your blog!"). Now, the auction is kinda like Vegas: what happened at the auction, stays at the auction.  And not that anything bad or crazy happened.  All I will say is that I tend to love my money a little bit more than others and that's a good thing right now because - and let's say it all together - "I'm going on a cruise in fifty-five days!" - so a big part of our extra savings are being socked away for that.  I did bid on two or three items in the silent auction, but I was out bid. My feelings weren't hurt. The zydeco band was great and the food was awesome.  Our school managed to raise ALOT of money - even more than the amount last year, so we're hoping tuition remains the same.  It was a fun night!



You'll notice that Kristin is a little more dressed up than me.  She showed me her dress at the kids' Valentine party, and I was like, wait a minute!  I thought this thing was casual!  Leave it to Miss Thang to keep me young!  I decided to wear a red blouse, skinny jeans, and boots to make Mr. Horton happy.  But I appreciate everyone's comments about what I should wear last week.



This is my dear friend, Jennifer.  Her daughter is a year older than Alise and I love her to death because we are SO much alike.  We both beat our kids over the heads with notebooks while studying.  Ha!  Grades are just important to us and Jennifer gives me a heads up about what to expect for the next year.  She was so happy in this picture because she won a parking space at the auction. That may not seem like a big deal to you, but we have no parking at our school so the spaces go pretty fast at auction.  She won the last space available.



And here are me and Mr. Horton.  I love this guy to pieces.  However, I couldn't get over how old I look in this picture.  I mean, I feel like I've aged in the last year!  So depressing.  Maybe it's the dewy look with the highlighting that I've been going for?  Maybe the dewy look just isn't for me.  But I did have a really, REALLY good hair day that night!  Let's just say that I was MUCH closer to God that night because I rocked the big hair!  You just can't see if very well in the pics.

Early Saturday morning, Wayne picked up Alise and went to Shreveport with a childhood friend of his and Chris' son to go to Cosmicon.  Actually, this was the thing that we've been holding over Alise's head for weeks so that she would bring up her grades!  Basically, it's a fair for all things sci-fi and comic book. And there was no way in you-know-where that I was going!  It was the perfect opportunity for a Daddy-Daughter-Star-Wars-Geek-Fest!  I even had to run to the mall Thursday night to buy her a SW t-shirt (I had bought Wayne's t-shirt at Christmas.  It was an Alabama shirt with Darth Vader's head on it! Very rare.)!

So while they were in Shreveport for the day, I actually - believe it or not - stayed home.  I had planned to run some errands and do some shopping for the cruise, but the house was quiet and peaceful, and it was dreary outside, so I just enjoyed staying home and doing absolutely nothing.  I read, I slept, I took a bubble bath, I shopped online, I nearly lost Jack outside, but that's another story for another day.  The hardest thing I did all day was boil chicken. For a supper that didn't happen because the geeks ate a late lunch.  The perfect day to truly experience my word of the year: JOY!

Which reminds me!  How are you doing on your own word of the year?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fun AND relaxing weekend. You look amazing in red, and you do NOT look old!!

    ReplyDelete