Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spring Break In Memphis

I was tempted to not even post about our trip to the Memphis Zoo a few weeks ago, but I will simply because I don't want you to miss the opportunity if you're ever in Memphis, Tennessee.  If you're like me, a zoo is a zoo.  I'm not a particular fond animal lover {funny that I say this after all the tears I've shed over Bo this week!}, so after I've seen a few animals just lying around, I'm ready to go.  Hopefully you are unlike me so this is a zoo that you MUST visit!  I have to admit, it is one of my favorites!

We got to the zoo shortly after noon and the sun was out.  It looked to be a beautiful day, but Wayne and I wore our jackets because it was still cool. Alise refused.  It can be 32 below and she still won't wear a jacket.  But by three o'clock, the clouds started rolling in and I had to break out the umbrella. By the time we left, it was beginning to sleet, if you can believe that!

The Memphis Zoo has sorta an "aztec-y" feel.  Lots of Indian themes, but I like that certain areas of the zoo have their own theme going on.  For instance, the Panda Exhibit - which is what the Memphis Zoo is known for - has an Asian/Chinese theme.  Anyhoo, here are a few pictures.  I won't bomb you with them all.  That's what Instagram is for!  Ha!
Displaying 20140228_121443.jpg
 Displaying 20140228_121434.jpg
Displaying 20140228_121741.jpg
Displaying 20140228_130403.jpg
Displaying 20140228_131021.jpg

Displaying 20140228_133502.jpg
Displaying 20140228_143532.jpg

And of course, no trip to Memphis would be complete without a stop at one of my favorite restaurants, The Melting Pot.  Alise's insists on eating there now, too!
Displaying 20140228_171523.jpg
Displaying 20140228_185635.jpg
Displaying 20140228_173311-1.jpg
Displaying 20140228_173937.jpg

We shopped and got Alise outfitted with an entire new Spring wardrobe! She's ready for summer!  Unfortunately, for this Mamma, everything was BLACK and the stores were still selling winter apparel, so my hopes of finding any Spring and Summer things for myself was short lived.  I was rather disappointed about that!

When we got to the hotel Friday night, we were disappointed to find out that the "indoor" pool that we had told Alise about was actually an "outside" pool. The manager of the hotel overheard us apologizing to Alise for the mistake and offered her a free movie to make up for her parents' slight.  He was Baby Girl's new best friend!  He even let her use the card machine to make our room keys!!  Alise ended up renting "Frozen," of course, and Wayne and I fell asleep during the movie.  These 40 year old parents just can't hang with an almost nine year old these days!

On Saturday afternoon, we went to see The Lego Movie.  Oh, goodness, y'all! Take my word for it and wait for the DVD!  Of course, Wayne and Alise liked it.  I actually napped through it!  We shopped some more and then went to my favorite Mexican restaurant, Abuelo's.  SO yummy!!  

After we ate, even Alise was acting like she was extremely tired.  We went back to the hotel, watched a little TV and then went to bed.  We slept in the next morning and then headed back home.  Memphis is one of our favorite home-away-from-home spots and we had a great time.  I'm just glad it worked out so that Alise can have something to tell her friends about at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment