Thursday, December 12, 2013

Christmas Tour of Homes

I'm overlooking the fact that it's Friday the 13th {Didn't we just have one of those bad boys in October??}, and instead choosing to link up with Kelly and the SUYL Christmas Tour of Homes linky party.  Come join the fun!
Welcome to our family blog!  And Merry Christmas!!  This is a picture of our front door.  You can't really tell because of the time of day I took the picture, but the theme is candy/gingerbread with lots of green and red mesh.  I have tomato cages wrapped in lights on either side of the door and they are really pretty.  I got that idea from where else, but Pinterest!

I love decorating our home for Christmas!  As a child of the '80's, Christmas just wasn't Christmas without the vinyl record on the stereo playing holiday tunes and mom throwing "icicles" all over the tree!  Alot of things have changed since then, but decorating for Christmas hasn't.  Some of my favorite Christmas items are Santas, nativity scenes, and lots and lots of lights and bling!!

Here is a picture of our tree in the living room.  Of course, it stands in front of the window so that all the neighbors can see as they pass by.


Now, there is a story behind our Christmas tree.  The fact is, it's about 32 years old!  My mom decided a few years ago to get a pre-lit tree and at the time, Mr. Horton and I were buying real trees every year.  Call me nostalgic or crazy, but I just couldn't part with my childhood Christmas tree!  Fortunately for us though, we have alot of upstairs storage and so the lights and mesh garland stay on 24/7, 365 days a year.  All I have to do is fluff, put on the ornaments, and decorate the top after we bring it down stairs.  The bad news is that I really don't know how much longer the tree will survive.  It's getting really wobbly and showing it's age, so I told Mr. Horton that I think we might need to try and find another tree after Christmas this year.  
I wanted to do something a little different this year, so I decided to add just a "hint" of leopard.  My eight year old asked, "Mom, WHY did you put leopard on a red and green Christmas tree?"  Kinda hurt my feelings, but when she's forty years old, she can decorate her own Christmas tree any ol' merry way she chooses!  So anyway, I only added about five ornaments.  What can I say?  I have a leopard fetish.

And this is our elf, Jack, who likes to play hide and seek in our tree from time to time.  Sometimes he forgets to move or fly or whatever it is that elves do and it makes for a very frustrated eight year old little girl.  Or should I say frustrated parents who are silently kicking themselves for not doing what it is that parents do to help those elves fly and all the while trying to come up with a perfectly good explanation to said eight year old as to WHY he didn't move.

Here is a picture of Alise's Christmas tree...leaning like the leaning Tower of Pisa (you can't tell so much in the picture).  I think her tree is about to bite the dust, too, but she loves decorating it every year.  I let her do her own thing and put the ornaments where ever she wants to put them.  Her theme is gingerbread/candy, too and she also has several Hallmark ornaments that I've collected for her.


This is the tree in our bedroom and I love it because it's simple and not the traditional Christmas colors.  I love to turn the tree on in the evenings and when I walk in the bedroom later, it just feels so relaxing from the glow of the lights.

This year, I added two new ideas to my holiday decorating.  I've been wanting a leopard tree for a while and I've sorta wanted a tinsel tree since they are making a comeback {My grandmother had a silver tinsel tree when I was growing up}.  I needed a small tree on the table at the end of our hallway, but something that would also look good with our new striped hallway we did this summer.  Walla!

This year, I added lighted garland to the stair rail.  I wanted to add some blink to the garland before I began hanging our Christmas cards from it, but that didn't happen.  I plan to play with the ribbon and bling it up somemore by next year so that it will look even better!
Here is a vignette on the sofa table of Santas and Christmas trees.  Love the needlepoint nativity hanging.  It is several years old.  The Santa on the far left is made from a cedar tree knee.  Wayne bought it for me when we were in New Orleans last month.
This is the vignette on my kitchen island this year.  I decided to go whimsical and easy this year.  These are pieces that I picked up last year on the day after Christmas at Pier One.
Thanks so much for stopping by and touring our blog and home for the holidays!  From our home to yours, I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. I love all your decorations!!! The cards on the staircase is such a good idea!! Oh and I also love the leopard tree! Your house looks so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! I found your blog on Kelly's Korner. I just wanted to tell you that I absolutely LOVE all of your decorations! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of the bright colors. I really like how your displayed your Christmas Cards!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is SO beautiful! It feels so cozy and festive and homey! You have done a great job decorating! Thanks for linking up Laura!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year!
    Bring you Good wishes of happiness.

    Sorry for greeting you earlier,, just don't want miss saying this.
    By the way, I'm Clotee. It's my first time visiting your blog. I am blogger too, and now try my best luck to open an e-store. Nice to know you.

    Regards,
    Clotee

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty. I LOVE that gold tree in the hall!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful home! Love all the Christmas trees!

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete