Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thursday Ramblings

The time has arrived!  Mr. Horton and I will be heading to the big cowboy state of Texas for the Depeche Mode concert tomorrow.  Where there is a 90% chance of rain at this ceremonious outside arena.

Yay me!

But in all honesty, I'm just excited to be stealing away with my man!  Gonna eat some different food at some great restaurants and get a head start on some Christmas shopping.  That's the plan.

Alise has another vocabulary test today.  This is the type of test she bombed last time and why she currently has a B in reading.  I bet in the last two weeks we have studied 20 hours on vocabulary!  I kid you not.  She even made her own flash cards.  I know she can make a 100 on that test {she desparately needs to to pull her grade up} if she will just take her time and not make careless mistakes.  She got her progress report yesterday and she has 100 averages in everything but reading and English, which totally blows me away because she has always made A's in reading and English until now.  I had lunch with a friend yesterday whose daughter goes to the same school and she thought that maybe Alise's class was not getting as much time with the Reading/English teacher {they switch classes}.  That's a thought.  So this morning when I was packing Alise's lunch, I wrote on her fruit cup with a sharpie: "I {heart} U!  Good luck today!"  Wish I had taken a picture, but I was hurrying to stuff it in her lunch box before she saw it. She has three more tests tomorrow and then we can call it a week.  Whew!

I caved and went ahead and downloaded Nicholas Sparks' new book, The Longest Ride to my kindle. I'm hoping it will be a nice read to get me over my reading slump.  I'm only about 10% into it.  Do you struggle with reading books where the characters are younger than you?  I do.  I get so frustrated when I actually do find a book that looks interesting enough to read and then find out {once I've bought the book} that the characters are in college or just graduated college. Maybe it's just me, but I'm GenX, so I want to read about peeps my own age.  Needless to say, I don't think I'm in to the YA books these days.  Or what about this!  You pick up a really "old" book where no one has cellphones, and the computers still operate in DOS, or everyone has beepers and still uses answering machines.  Weird.  I don't know...I told you I was in a reading slump.

The fair is in town.  I told Mr. Horton I was in the mood for some fattening fair food, so I think we might try and take Alise and a friend Sunday evening after we get home. It's the only time we have to take her and she hasn't been in years!

I'm on a mission to find some new boots this year. It's been a few years since I've bought a pair and I'm really hoping to find some this weekend.  I've been seeing this advertisement pop up on my FB page called Just Fab and all their boots are $39.99.  Check it out HERE.  I'm thinking I need a pair in cognac. 

I'm throwing out the menu tonight!  It's Sonic for us. Waaay to much to do to get ready to leave tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Have fun in TX!! Poor Alise. We feel your pain. Katie and I both need new dress boots. I'm hoping we won't have anything to do next weekend, so we can sneak away to go and do a little shopping. Y'all have a good time this weekend.

    Miss y'all!

    ReplyDelete