Sunday, September 08, 2013

Menu Plan Monday ~ September 9th


It's Monday and you know what that means!

 I'm joining OrgJunkie for another week of MENU PLANNING!!

Let's get started!

Here's last weeks menu:

Monday
Open Face beef stroganoff sandwiches  {CHECK}
And, yes, that would have been served on a fancy shmancy piece of styrofoam.  After all, it WAS Labor Day!

Tuesday  
Taco Soup  {CHECK}

Wednesday
Dad's Night to cook: Pancake dippers {Just bacon and pancakes}

Thursday
Leftovers  {Believe it or not, there were no leftovers!  We had Three Cheese Chicken out of a bag!}

Friday
Eat out!  Yay!

Saturday
At home date night - steak, baked potato, & salad  {Forgot we had a wedding to attend so we feasted at the reception}

Sunday
Miranda Lambert's Mom's Meatloaf  {CHECK}
Crockpot mashed potatoes
Fried okra

Desserts for the Week:
Lemon Ice Box Pie  {CHECK}

Ok.  So last weeks menu may have been a little cheansy...nothing spactacular to report... but some weeks are like that.  Sometimes simple and easy is the best {and after the week I had had before that one, I was all about some "cheansiness"}.

And "cheansiness" doesn't come cheap, my friends.  This was my grocery bill.

Now, before you wonder what part of the country I live in or what grocery store I shop at to cook so little and spend so much, just know that over half of this was for game day food for the Bama v. Virgina Tech game {ROLL TIDE} and we had family in town, so don't start sending your donations my way just yet {although that would be most appreciative}.

So now that Labor Day has come and gone, I feel like summer is o-v-e-r {I have certainly been over it for a while!}.  I wish Mother Nature felt the same with our weather temps!  It's still HAWT here, y'all!  

Something happens to me the week school starts and again after Labor Day.  When school starts, I want to break out the plaid {don't ask} and start a new calendar.  After LD, I want to break out the boots and sweaters and start eating soup!

Fall is definitely my favorite time of the year!

So for temperature's sake, I'm trying to hold off on the soup making as long as I can.  Mr. Horton doesn't like soup anyway, but as stated in an earlier MPM post, he's gotta live on the edge and just in case you're wondering, Taco Soup doesn't count as a Fall soup at our house because we have it year round {because it's the only soup Mr. Horton will eat!}.

I wanted to share a new recipe I made while our Bama cousins were here.

Quick & Easy Cinnamon Rolls.

Now although I like my cinnamon rolls a little more gooey, I know next time I make these babies, all I need to do is add more butter.  I made the recipe the night before and stuck it in the fridge until the next morning.  Next time, I will also stuff some butter gooey-ness in between the rolls before sliding them in the oven.  Overall, though, they were really, really good!  I highly recommend this easy prep recipe!!


I mentioned in last week's MPM that my whole idea of menu planning has turned into a game to see how much I can save at the grocery store.  Someone asked me if I used coupons and the answer is no.  I haven't gotten that far into the game, yet!  Ha!

When Wayne and I first got married, I did use coupons and it was fun until you had to start buying TWO of everything just to save 50 cents.  That was a turnoff to me because we lived in a studio apartment and I didn't have room for even an extra box of anything.  So after a while, we stopped getting the newspaper and I stopped clipping coupons and never looked back.  Maybe I'll start again?

By the way, is it coo-pon or coo-pin?

Kinda like pe-can or pe-con.

Here's this weeks menu plan:


Monday
Lasagna
black eyed peas
 salad & garlic bread
{Remember that "extra" one I made a few weeks ago?  Cha-ching!}

Tuesday
Mexican cheese quesadillas with salsa

Wednesday
Coca-Cola Pork chops 
 Uncle Ben's Cheesy Rice
 green bean bundles

Thursday
Stir Fry out of a bag {Literally}

Friday
Southern Plates Sloppy Joes 
 French Fries

Saturday
Sunday
Slow Cooker Bacon Wrapped Apple BBQ Chicken
 leftover hash brown casserole
baked beans


Desserts for the Week:
Pioneer Woman's Apple Dumplings

Dang!  I just realized!  We are some carb eating fools at my house!

OH!!  And let me say just one more thing!

The Lemon Icebox Pie that I tried for the first time last week, was absolutely wonderful.  But...I wanted to let you know that I like to store my LIP {Ha!} in the freezer.  I get it honestly from my late Father-in-Law.  His favorite pie was LIP and a Mennonite bakery in a nearby town made the absolute BEST ones!  He would buy like four pies at one time and keep them in the freezer.  I can remember visiting my inlaws after Wayne and I were married and he would call from the living room, "Ruth, get me a piece of that LIP out of the freezer!"  Good memories.

Have a TASTY week!

2 comments:

  1. Your meal planning has inspired me! Your week sounds good and I am a big fan of anything the Pioneer Woman puts out so I might have to try those dumplings! Have a great week and Roll Tide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. RTR! We're Bama fans here, too! Those cinnamon rolls look yummy!

    ReplyDelete