Tuesday, July 23, 2013

{Almost} Lucky Number 13

I was Lucky Number 13, yesterday y'all on Jenna's Comment Challenge!  Make sure you go by her blog and link up!

***Updated: I realized when I went to link up today's post, because of the way the linky thingie numbers the columns, I was actually Lucky Number 14!  Oops!***

I'm not a Superstitious Diva.  Are you?  Angie's niece, Valerie, is getting remarried in September on Friday the 13th.  Val's not worried about it.  She had her son on 6-6-06.  Angie says he can be a little hellion.  Ha!  Mr. Horton wanted to know did Val name her son, Damian.  Ha ha!

And speaking of births, what about the news yesterday???

Hear ye, hear ye!  My Princess dreams were RUINED I tell you when I got a text from one of my best friends, LEIGH, telling me that that baby had landed on the dark side.  Y'all, I swear the Good Lord changed that baby's sex at the very last minute!  I just KNEW that baby was gonna be a GIRL!  I wanted Diana to be proud, y'all.  I really did.  God rest her soul, but I wanted some PINK showing up in that castle!

Anyhoo...{Sigh}

Today's topic for the Comment Challenge is favorite TV show/reality/series or favorite book or movie.

I'll be honest.  I don't watch a whole lot of TV.  I would much rather read.

But I've decided to talk about all the topics today.  Because I can.

TV Shows: Revenge, Chicago Fire, Downton Abby, Survivor, Dallas, Rizzoli & Iles, The Voice and I know I'm leaving some out, but I just can't think of them now.  Our summer TV repertoire includes mostly cooking shows like Food Network Star, Chopped, and The Bake-off Competition {that just ended}.  There is just nothing on in the summer!  I tried to get into Big Brother, but Mr. Horton refused to watch with me.  He doesn't like reality shows and I don't either.  We quit watching Survivor for a while, but we picked back up two seasons ago.  We also sorta lost interest in Revenge this season; I thought the first season was great.  And if you ask me, Chicago Fire is the best show on TV.  Mr. Horton likes the History and A&E Channels.  That's normally when I choose to read.  And, of course, we watch Duck Dynasty because we live in the same city, but even last season was kinda stupid to me.

Books:  It's funny how my genre of books has changed in recent years.  Where I use to stick to more historic romance novels, such as Philippa Gregory, my tastes have begun to move toward drama, or thriller and suspense novels.  I like James Patterson, Nicolas Sparks {who I got to meet and he was oh-so nice!}, Jodi Picoult, Heather Gudenkauf, Diane Chamberlain, and Michael Connelly.  Two new authors that I've found this summer and really, really like are Allison Leotta and Philip Margolin.  If I had to choose three books that I've read recently for someone to read, they would be: The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult, Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight, and Laws of Attraction by Allison Leotta.  Anyone see a pattern here?  What's my deal with women authors?

In book news, I wanted to share that John Grisham will have a sequel to A Time To Kill coming out in October 2013.  The name of the sequel is Sycamore Row.  I will be on the pre-order list!  ATTK was my first JG book and I loved it and the movie {Of course because Matthew McConaughey was in it}.  And if you love the Lincoln Lawyer series {again, Mr. McConaughey starred in that movie.  NOW do you see a pattern?}, the next series book by Michael Connelly will be released in December.

And yes, I am a self-professed Book Club drop out.  I simply didn't like people telling me what to read {Sigh}.

Now if I could just get my daughter to love reading as much as I do.

You can follow me on Goodreads.

Movies:  Movies, spovies.  We all have our favorite and I'm Southern and a romantic at heart, so Gone With The Wind and Titantic are at the very top of my list, as with Steel Magnolias and A Time to Kill.  But probably the BEST move I've seen this summer {and I really think we've seen them all because Mr. Horton and I are movie and popcorn fans...} is Now You See Me.  It was really, really good.  As for kid movies, I must say that Despicable Me was a big surprise because I was REALLY dreading that movie! 

Happy Tuesday!  Stay cool!

10 comments:

  1. I love Chicago Fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura! Ive always loved your blog! I really wanted the Royal baby to be a girl too! Oh well! Maybe next baby! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! So nice to "meet" you. If you are in Duck Dynasty town, you aren't too far from me. As for football, I Hook 'Em Horns first, and Roll Tide second!
    Look forward to following you and reading all about your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steel Magnolias...I can quote that movie frontwards and backwards. My family speaks in movie quotes, and this one is one of the most popular!

    I read Gone With the Wind in high school, then watched the movie. I'll say, I was so mad at the end of that book! Ha! It was good, though. I don't think I've ever wanted to smack a character upside the head as much as I have Scarlett O'Hara!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hubby texted me yesterday while we were out and about to tell me "It's a boy!" My response..."Boo!" And G is currently pouting at me because we were not home today to see them leave the hospital. Gotta love a 10 year old pout...Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just made my day with the news that there is a sequel to A Time to Kill on the way. I loved that book so much and was sad when I finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so wanted a Princess! PS - I might be inching a little closer to being back home in the South..Austin, TX!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree that Kate should have had a girl- they are the best after all :) yes I'm biased with having 2 girls and all! Love the Voice and completely forgot to put that one on my list! Also I'm from OK so say ya'll all the time! People out here in Cali look at me like I'm speaking a foreign language haha :)

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love that you chose to write about books! I am a voracious reader and have to read before bed every night or I can't fall asleep. You and I share a love for Jodi Picoult. I just finished Elin Hilderbrand's latest and need some new recommendations!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think with Kate having a boy first, it took a lot of the pressure off of her. Now she can have 10 girls and pink up the whole palace!


    (Stopping by from Jenna's comment challenge!)

    ReplyDelete