Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Because Pinterest Told Me To

I didn't do too good on the recipes this weekend.  Bleh.  I don't know what the problem was, but it was one of those situations where the pictures just looked better than they actually tasted.  They weren't all bad; two out of the five that I tried were actually delicious!

Recipe #1: Southwestern Roasted Corn Salad.  Ok.  This is something that's right up my alley!  I mean, I love corn, I love southwestern food.  But I DID improvise and maybe improvising just isn't something that I'm good at.  I had read in the reviews that some people had used canned corn and that's what I used because I knew with all the frying that Wayne had going on Saturday night, there was no way he would have time to grill corn on the cob for me.  So that was probably a mistake.  Other readers said how good the sauce was with this side, but I wasn't impressed.  I had to just throw everything together because I didn't know how many cans of corn made up for 8 freakin' fresh ears of corn, so I improvised with measurements, too.  But having enough sauce wasn't the problem, it was just bland to me.  Bottom line:  Probably won't be making this dish again.

Recipe #2:  Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Freezer Pie.  OMGoodness!!  Make this sucker as soon as you can!!  Be careful not to go overboard on the amount of Reese cups you put in.  Such an easy good summer time recipe!  The pie was g-o-n-e, y'all!!  But be sure to tell your husband when he does your grocery shopping {because you're at the movies with three little girls} that a chocolate crust does NOT mean an Oreo crust!  Love ya, Babe!  It was still good!  Bottom line:  Will definitely make this again before summer is over!

Recipe #3: Awesome Pasta Salad was not too awesome!  I even have a picture for y'all!  See??  
Again, I improvised with ingredients and measurements.  I used plain, spiral pasta that I already had in the pantry.  I don't like salami and couldn't find provolone cheese, so I used mozzerella instead.  I also left out the pimentos.  I mean, it was okay...who can go wrong with a bottle of Italian dressing?  But I think I was disappointed because I was really craving a great pasta salad and this one just didn't do it for me.  Bottom line: I'll try another pasta salad, but not this recipe.

Recipe #4: Well, I guess technically, this one doesn't count as a recipe per se, because it wasn't made to eat.  Actually, it was one of those last minute pins and since I'm-going-to-the-grocery-store-let-me-add-these-three-things-to-my-list kind of thing.  Got a pic of it for ya, too! 
Bottom line: Dud.


Recipe #5:  Probably THE biggest hit of the fish fry: Hot Crawfish Dip!  It was WONDERFUL!!  All the guys loved it!  I served it with butter and garlic crusted baquette bread and when the bread was gone, we just ate it with chips.  For me personally, I think the dip is better when it's hot...so like keeping it in a chafing dish or crockpot would probably be best.  Some dips, when they get cold, just aren't as good to me.  Bottom line: A new party staple recipe.

You win some, you loose some.  But to me, you never know unless you try.  Either way, Pinterest told me to!

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl!! That crawfish dip sounds yummy and I pinned that pie last week! LOL However, I have a better corn salad recipe and mine is yummy! Here it is: http://recipes.prevention.com/Recipe/black-bean-and-corn-salad.aspx

    I promise it doesn't dissapoint. Also,I use frozen corn and put it in a skillet with a little oil and roast it a bit.

    Happy Summer to you!!!

    ReplyDelete