Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Happy New Year!

Happy 2013, everyone!!  I am hoping that all my readers have a wonderful, prosperous, and healthy New Year!

It seems like every one of my posts lately {when I DO post, that is} begins with apologies for NOT posting.  No more.  When I have time, I hope to "recap" all the Christmas activities and parties, but for now, it will have to wait.

Time to move on to bigger and better things.  Namely, my FREAKIN' FORTIETH BIRTHDAY!!!

I am all about this fortieth milestone, Peeps!  And SOOO unlike my thirtieth birthday, too!  Ten years ago, I couldn't get out of bed in January.  And now, here we are, ten years later, and I can't get on that stinkin' cruise ship fast enough!!!

Two things happened today regarding my birthday.  One was a disappointment and the other was an oh-so great find!  I'll share.

Wayne and I are headed to New Orleans on Sunday, January 20th, my actual birthday.  I'm not too keen on spending five hours in the car traveling on my special day, but what the heck?  I have a WHOLE STINKIN' WEEK to celebrate!!  We are staying in a balcony room a block over from Bourbon Street {not thrilled about Bourbon Street, but I AM excited about the balcony room!  Eek!} at the Chateau LeMoyne in the French Quarter.  Go here.  I wanted to get all foo-foo'ed up and have dinner at Jacques Imo's.  So here comes the disappointing part.  When I went to the website today, I discovered that the reknown restaurant is not open on Sundays.  So. disappointed.  But never fear!  I've asked a friend-of-a-friend who visits New Orleans quite frequently to find me another 5-star restuarant to celebrate at.  If you have any suggestions for restaurants, please let me know.

The GOOD thing that happened today is that I found my birthday dress.  This is not the actual dress, though, that I plan to wear in New Orleans.  Instead, it's the dress that I plan to wear on Captain's Night while we're on the cruise.  Another "dress up" night!  Eek!!  Here's a sneak peek:


I love it!  It's very flattering, in my favorite color, and the BEST thing is that I got it ON SALE FOR $35!!!

Other than my birthday excitement, life for the Horton's is getting back to normal somewhat.  I went back to work today, but I'm off again on Friday and Monday to spend time with Alise before she goes back to school on Tuesday.  Bedtime for her has been pushed up again to 8:10 {soon to be 8:20 when she "officially" comes home with straight A's again this 9-weeks} and I've started trying to get back into the routine of cooking again.  Last night, I made Southern Plate's Chili.  My favorite chili recipe.  Tonight, it's gumbo.

I'm loving this cold weather, by the way.

The Christmas decorations are down, partially boxed, not put upstairs, and I just can't bring myself to take down the tree this year.  It's been up for nearly two months, and I just can't bring myself to let go of the sparkle.  My absolute favorite time of the day is in the evening.  The tree lights and the slow burning fire in the fire place just warm my heart!

Last weekend, Wayne and I began the nasty chore of cleaning out our off-sight storage building.  This is an expense that we've had since before Alise was born and with the amount of money we've spent paying rent each month, we could have bought FIVE storage buildings.  But I digress.  We probably finished 75% of the building and plan for January to be the last month for rent payments.  Savings.  Cha-ching!

This weekend, I want to play "leaf monster" and get those unsightly leaves OUT OF MY YARD!!!  I can't stand it!  They are in the pool, they are everywhere.  It's to the point that I've told Wayne I'm ready to strap on the gas leaf blower myself and get after it!  What does he think?  He tells me to "get after it!" 

Humph!

No comments:

Post a Comment