Thursday, October 11, 2012

Family Tree Project

I nearly titled this post as "The Family Tree Project That Almost Wasn't."

On the Thursday after the bomb threat, Alise came home with her first project of second grade. It's was a family tree. And my heart just fell. I cried the rest of the night off and on, wondering how in the hell I was going to pull this project off. How in the world was I going to piece together Wayne's side of the tree? His dad is dead; he's estranged from his mother and I have NO pictures, NO information. What am I going to do?

On Sunday morning, we decide to stay in our pajamas all day and we begin our family tree project. I was in tears, Wayne was upset, and finally I just old Alise to go to her room. I finally decided to get down Alise's baby picture book and I pulled out the only picture that I have of Ruth and Alise together. Alise is seven years old and I only have one picture of her and her Grandmother Horton. It was taken when Alise was three weeks old when I had to beg Ruth to come see her only grand-daughter while Wayne was at work. I'm crying now just typing this. Luckily, I was able to put my hands on a picture of Wayne's dad. It's the only descent picture I have of him before he got sick with pancreatic cancer and shrunk up to nothing. Wayne got his sister on the phone and with her help, we were able to work on labels with birthdays and dates of death. I had to wing a few.


Fast forward to Wednesday night - the night before the project was due.  We get everything together to glue on the poster and I noticed that I have not gathered a single picture of my own parents. I loose it. I go to our bedroom and cry like a baby. Alise is upset and Wayne is begging me to pull it together long enough so that I can find two descent pictures of my parents so that he can go to Kinko's and have them color printed for the poster. He makes the fastest trip to Kinko's I've ever seen, we eat cereal for supper and I finish putting the pics on the poster board. Alise adds some bling and we call it a night.
Yesterday was my late father-in-law's birthday.  I miss him so much!!

1 comment:

  1. Those projects are difficult to do sometimes! I can only imagine how you felt.

    ReplyDelete