Sunday, November 13, 2011

Our First Cruise

A few weeks ago, Wayne and I went on our first cruise with our friends, Robbie and Angie and we had a complete BLAST!! It has been a long time since I have had that much fun! Robbie and Angie were "experienced cruisers," so they were able to show us the ropes. Angie cracked me up! The closer we got to the ship, the more excited she got! She said, "I don't care if we sit in port all five days, just get me on that ship!" Ha!

Needless to say, we didn't sit in New Orleans all five days, but we were two hours leaving from port, and because of hurricane Rena, we were detoured to Progresso, Mexico instead of Cozumel. Personally, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to go to Cozumel because I was really looking forward to some shopping, but we still had a great time on our excursion. We weren't able to do the Mayan tour because we didn't bring teeny shoes and it was seven hours - including a four hour bus ride. So instead, we did a "Salsa Excursion" which included some sight seeing around Meredia, Mexico, some hands-on salsa making, and some salsa dancing! Fun, fun, fun!!

As for the cruise, we did it all!! We went to shows, we saw comedians, we played games, we shopped, we ate great food, stayed up late and slept late, too! It was awesome!

Our favorite waitress in the whole. wide. world. was named, Ellen, and she made sure that we had a great time each night at dinner! I don't think I have ever laughed so hard in my life! We loved her!!

I've never really cared that much for playing games, but Angie and I didn't miss a single one on the ship! We played all the trivia games, pictionary {which is REALLY out of my comfort zone to actually draw in front of people, but our team was named, "The Pink Ladies & A Guy"}, and "Twisted Scattagories." We won a trophy {aka "a ship on a stick"} for Scattagories! And then we made friends with the game leader and Angie got her own trophy a little later.

Here are some more pictures from our cruise:

The Captain's Dinner



Our ship

This was the oldest church in Mexico. We toured the inside and it was very sad. There were women beggers inside and it just broke my heart. Although our tour guide told us that Meredia had been "Americanized," there was still much poverty and turmoil. We saw the Mexican military in the back of trucks with AR-15s {in other words, guns}. Angie and I were very nervous and we all made sure to keep up with our group and guide.

This is a picture of the inside of Meredia's Governor's mansion.

Our tour guide was Ricardo {roll the R} and at first, I didn't know what to think of him, but he turned out to be a really fun guy! He wanted us to call him, 'Handsome.' He walked us through making salsa - one of the recipes actually belonged to his grandmother - and taught us a few steps of Salsa dancing. We had 16 girls that were in a bachelorette group with us and they were alot of fun!

We broke off into groups when we reached the hotel for salsa making. Wayne was the "salsa maker" for the two of us. I helped with cutting peppers, onions, and things like that. We made two salsas and guacamole. I'm not a guac girl, but it was my favorite! Delish! Of course, we made a dent in the salsas, too.
My favorite salsa maker!

Here are some of our favorite bedtime animals. Ha!

I'm ready to go again! When is the shipping leaving?!

1 comment:

  1. It looks like you guys had a great time! It has been 8 years since I have been on a cruise, but I remember how fun it was!

    ReplyDelete