Thursday, August 25, 2011

Thank You For Your Prayers

Thank you so much for your sweet prayers for us this morning. I certainly needed them because "I" was actually the one who woke up with a headache this morning! Ugh! I wanted to ask Dr. P, "Can you treat me, too?! Please?!" And my dear friends who suffer from migraines will appreciate this: Dr. P said that only SMART people get migraines {and pointed to himself because he said he gets them to}! Smart people just THINK to darn much!! Ha!

I promised Alise Chic-fil-a mini chicken biscuits for breakfast, so we made a stop there first. Baby Girl can scarf down some chicken biscuits, let me tell ya!

We got to Dr. P's office and I filled out an absolute TON of paperwork...questions that I just thanked God that I could answer "no" to. Going through all that made me realize how blessed I am to have such a healthy little girl. It was an eye-opening experience for Alise, too, because for the first time, she was in a room with mostly handicapped and disabled patients. She smiled at them and played with a set of baby twins that sat next to us. I think God allowed us both to see others as He sees us...through eyes of love and compassion.
I was relieved when I learned that Dr. P's nurse is actually a friend of ours. Her daughter plays t-ball on our team. She put Alise at ease until J tried to take her blood pressure. Alise is scared to death of the blood pressure thingy, so J just went and got her stethescope instead and listened to her heart. Alise weighs 51 pounds. Well, J may have put Alise at ease, but she had me all in arms when she asked, "Has Alise ever had a CT or MRI before?" Definitely not words I wanted to hear.

Dr. P came in our room and let me just say that I loved him the moment he walked through the door. He is of a different nationality so I really had to listen to what he was saying. He addressed me as "Mrs. Horton" {which I personally like because, well, people just don't do that anymore} and asked many, many questions about Alise's delivery, things she may have been exposed to, drugs she may have taken/prescribed, our family histories, just all kinds of things that I haven't thought about in years.

And then it was Alise's turn. Believe it or not, she is very shy around people that she doesn't know and I had told her before the appointment that when Dr. P asked her a question, she needed to answer him. He called her, "My Alise" and won her over by asking about her peace sign flip flops. He had her do some very interesting things - I'm not sure if it was just to keep her interested or if he was really testing her. He made her stand on one foot, hop, jump as high as she could, and measured the circumfrance of her head. He tested her reflexes, made her walk on her tip toes and then her heels. He shined different color flashlights in her eyes and she had to tell him what color they were. He looked at her throat and asked me, "Does she snore?" I laughed.

Then, he point blank asked me, "What are you afraid of, Mrs. Horton?"

The question caught me off guard. What was I really afraid of? Why would any mother be in a pediatric neurologist's office? "Because I'm scared there maybe something wrong with my daughter and there isn't anything I can do about it," I said.

He made some more notes in her file and then told me, "Mrs. Horton, I think you have a perfectly healthy little girl. I do believe she suffers from migraine headaches, but at this point in time, I do not wish to have a MRI performed because she will have to be sedated and there are issues and consent forms to fill out with that and could possibly even lead to death. I suggest treating "My Alise" by restricting her diet. The moment she walks out of my office, she is to have no more hot dogs {she already throws up over hot dogs}, no more pizza, cokes, chocolate, or tea. Do not even give her caffeine-free drinks. I want to do this for six weeks and then see her again to re-evaluate her."

I asked if there was medication that she could take and Dr. P said yes, but that she would gain so much weight within the first month that "she would end up looking like me." We both laughed.

So now, the fun begins. Monitoring the things that she eats. Alise has always been a good eater and the hardest part of this diet will be the pizza and chocolate. What can I say? She takes after her mother. We've always limited her cokes and only recently started letting her have sweet tea with supper. She loves M&Ms and Reese cups. Oh, and Hostess cupcakes. Of course, all those things are out now.

I had a rather "joyful" ride taking her back to school this morning. All the way there she was naming foods and asking me if she could still eat them. I don't think she fully understands yet, but honestly, she doesn't eat that much of the foods she's now restricted from so I don't think it's going to be that life changing for her. And I am glad.

Have a fun weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Happy to hear he thinks she's fine!

    My OB is from India and has been in the states for 22 years. He still has a pretty thick accent. The way he says my name just cracks me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that she won't have to go through an MRI/CT scan. I'm like the doctor, it might be something she's eating or it could be the good genes. I know my nephew suffered from migraines and after much testing, he was allergic a lot of foods including hotdogs and shellfish. My sister can't eat fish or she'll get bad migraines. I hope y'all will find out quickly what might be causing it. I happy everything went alright.

    ReplyDelete