Sunday, July 17, 2011

Maybe It Was Memphis

As soon as I got out of the truck in Memphis, Tennessee Friday night, two things happened: 1) I smelled the oh-so wonderful bar-b-que that Memphis is famous for and 2) my hair curled and kinked up to my scalp! It was hawt with a warm breeze blowing, but no way did it help with the 200% humidity problem they were having that weekend.

I didn't mind about my hair too much, though, because we had returned to one of our favorite get-away spots for the weekend and we were going to have FUN! It had been about four years since we had been in Memphis and it had been even longer since we had been downtown and visited the top of the Peabody Hotel, went down Beale Street, and ate at Rendezvous.

The truth is, ya gotta know where you're going to find Rendezvous. It's down a rather dark alley, but I wasn't afraid because there were tons of policeman patroling the area. It's THE absolute place to be in Memphis for real, authentic, dry bar-b-que. Wayne had a rack of ribs and I - because I don't eat anything with a bone in it - had the pulled pork sandwich. I love the sauce!



And this was our friendly waiter. I have no idea what his name is, but he waits on us every single time we visit. He has been working at Rendezvous for twenty-four years and I asked him if he was there during the filming of "The Firm" with Tom Cruise and Gene Hackman back in the early '90's. He was and said that the restaurant had catered the cast and crew upstairs on their top floor.
This is Auto Zone Park. The Memphis Cardinals play here and we've seen them play a few times. They were playing Friday night, so that's one reason downtown was so packed.

This is the Peabody Hotel. World famous for the "parade of ducks."

And this is us on top of the Peabody Hotel.


We saw these painted toilet seat covers in a store on Beale Street. It's all about The Blues on Beale Street. Here we are in front of BB King's place. We also learned that Morgan Freeman had a bar close by called, Ground Zero. The crowds were well behaved and we felt very safe. There were policeman everywhere and we were "wanded" to be allowed on the street and a policeman actually went through my purse. Very different times since our last visit downtown.


I'll share a few more pictures from our weekend in Memphis in another post.

5 comments:

  1. Awww glad you had a good time in my hometown!!! I am with you 100% on the humidity. I love Rendezvous but I think the original Corky's on Poplar in East Memphis is my personal fav:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like you guys had a great time! Memphis is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! I've only been through Memphis, and it was the middle of the night both times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics make me have the travel bug. I guess the last time we were in Memphis was the last time Doug went to a Ducks Unlimited Convention.

    Looks like y'all had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your post. Reminds me of our recent visit. I have some of the very same pictures. I remember the first time I went to Rendezvous. I thought surely it was the wrong place. But once inside I knew it was right. It was so good. Yall should have tried that Spaghetti Warehouse Italian Grill place we went. It was so cool and had GREAT food. Glad yall had fun.

    ReplyDelete