Friday, July 01, 2011

4th Of July Ideas

I am getting excited about July 4th! It's one of my favorite holidays and I love to decorate in red, white, and blue and show off my patriotism. I like to accent arrangements with huge bows, flags, and sunflowers. So today, I thought I would share some of my favorite ideas for the summer holiday {and maybe after I finish some of my own personal decorating, I'll show you that in another post, too}!

Let's get started!

Flag Cakes are still widely popular and make such a great centerpiece for any Independence Day table. Serve it up at a backyard bar-b-que with the neighbors or a kids afternoon swim party. Nothing says July 4th like strawberries & blueberries!


And don't forget the watermelon!

If you're in to cake on a much smaller scale, check out this cupcake cake stand monument from Marth Stewart!








What about some s'mores on a stick? Check out Melanie's Crafts.
Of course, traditional 4th of July desserts like peach cobbler, hot apple pie, and delicious homemade ice cream are always hits. And if you don't have that go-to peach cobbler recipe, I suggest using Paula Deen's. I made her version for Father's Day and it was delish! I even topped it with ice cream!

No picnic would be complete without some tangy, fresh squeezed lemonade! Add some Sprite or Gingerale for a little holiday bubble. Some strawberries and blueberries will give it just the right festive color! And have you seen the newest idea of how to serve drinks this summer? Mason Jars!! Who knew?! But they make the cutest glasses! I've even seen them with holes in the lids and straws punched through. Too, too cute!
And just for a little personal touch, here is my favorite baked beans recipe! Perfect for the 4th!




Now let's talk decorating!



Just LOOK at this gazebo!! Sooo inviting! Can you imagine sitting underneath, sipping lemonade and watching the fireworks?



Martha Stewart, of course!

As for me, I love some banners. Banners are like bows to me: the bigger the better! And THIS year, I will be hanging some across the porch of our house to say, "Com'on in, and celebrate with us!" Nothing is more fabulous than an inviting entrance to a home.(Picture courtesy of grandinroad.com)

Love, love, love these luminaries! Perfect for a walkway. From TipJunkie.com.

Our community has an annual bike parade for children - and parents, too. The kids dress up their bikes in red, white, and blue and ride through the neighborhood. An abundance of flags are displayed proudly. Some of the grownups dress up in Revolutionary War attire and parade through the streets with the children, too. It is so much fun and the kids love it!

So no matter how you celebrate our Nation's birthday, I hope you have a VERY Happy 4th of July!

2 comments:

  1. I hope you guys have an awesome 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! The lemonade is oh-so-cute!

    ReplyDelete