Sunday, May 01, 2011

Prayers for the South





I couldn't possibly blog another post without saying how much my heart is grieving for our Sister States in the South. I have watched the news and seen the pictures of the devestation and my heart just breaks. Of course, we were worried sick about our friends and family in Alabama. As for our family, all we could do was hope they were tucked safely in "the pit" - and if Uncle Millard had anything to do with it, we knew they were. We kept up with our friends' safety through email and texts.

Thank you so much for your emails asking about our family. They are safe and still awaiting electricity as of this post.

If you would like to donate to the efforts of those in need, you can visit this site www.alredcross.org to help those who have lost so much. Some friends of ours had their home flood because of the storms passing through our area and even though the flooding was such a loss, they told us that they knew they were so much better off than so many others. This morning at church, several of our church staff sought us out to tell us that they had passed through "our area" {Tuscaloosa - because we are Bama fans} on the way home from a conference in Atlanta and saw the devestation. Our Children's Minister met a family in a restaurant and after hearing their story, unloaded his wallet and gave them the rest of the bottled water they had in their ice chest. I got tears in my eyes when he told us that. I was reminded of what Jesus said was the greatest commandment, "to love God with all your heart, mind, and strength and to love your neighbor as yourself." These Sister States are our neighbors. Please donate if you can.

As I said in my last post, I had been out of town and it just so happened that it was the exact night that the storms hit where we live. I had gone out to dinner and had problems getting back into my hotel room that night. I later discovered that my cellphone had deactivated my hotel room key. When I finally got back in my room, I decided to check my Facebook statuses. You've probably figured out by now, I don't do a whole lot on Facebook - which explains why I have not responded to some of your requests to be "friends." But from time-to-time, I do get on to check out what everybody else is doing. So imagine my surprise when I began reading that friends of ours that lived near us where in their closets, "scared", and without electricity! I began to worry and I texted Wayne to check on him and Alise. He told me that it was just raining very hard and loudly at our house. A few minutes later, he called me to tell me that another friend of ours had texted him to say that a tornado warning had been issued for our area. I began to panic! I could hear the rain through the phone and by this time, Alise had woken up. We talked several times within the next few hours and I texted with friends who were hulled up in their closets. I was just sick about the situation and prayed that God would keep everyone safe. I don't think I slept at all that night, but eventually I did drift off. I texted Wayne as soon as I opened my eyes the next morning and he and Alise were fine. The doctor's office had called to postpone Alise's follow up visit and the schools were out because there was no electricity. We had several friends whose homes had flooded due to the torrential fast rains.

I was so happy to get back to my family the next day, only to begin worrying about our extended family in Cullman, Alabama. We couldn't reach them by phone and like I said earlier, we just prayed that they all made it to the family storm pit. From the weather reports on TV, we knew they were taking a huge hit and that a tornado had touched down.

I pray for God's blessings on all those that have been affected by the tornados.

4 comments:

  1. It has been a scary and stressful week with all of the storms and tornadoes. I was one who had the girls in a closet several times this week because of all of the warning. Ready for this weather to move on out. Praying for those who have suffered such terrible loses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, losses, not loses. No sleep because of all of the storms last night too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, losses, not loses. No sleep because of all of the storms last night too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey girl!

    Thank you so much for all the prayers. Your family is all accounted for and doing well. We finally got connected to the internet today. As you can see from your pictures on your post, we got hit big time - EF-4 tornado. You know the photos don't do it justice because it's absolutely devastating. We are all still shell shocked, I think. I stayed focused and level headed up until we passed a convoy of electric utility trucks coming from South Carolina following up right to our exit. I was so humbled that all I could do was wave and mouth "Thank you" to all the truck drivers. It is a very humbling experience to see all of these emergency response teams from other states like Tennessee and South Carolina. We are so grateful for what they are doing and trying so hard to restore our life the best way they can. I will be posting photos that I've taken along with my experience on my blog. God is so wonderful!

    Love you,
    Mirya

    ReplyDelete