Sunday, April 03, 2011

We're #1!

Let me start off by saying that I had NO idea just exactly what "Nationals" meant when it came to cheerleading! From the time we entered the Convention Hall, I was just simply amazed! It was like something you've seen in a movie! Cheerleading teams everywhere dressed in every color outfit you could imagine! Girls stretching, doing round offs and back hand springs in the lobby area! Moms painting their daughter's faces with heavy glitter makeup and teased ponytails that wouldn't move even if Katrina struck again! Sheer awe! Sheer craziness!! Our squad was first to perform, so after we all met up in the lobby, the coaches took the girls to the "warm up" room to get ready. We walked into the Convention area and I thought it was so strange that everything was dark. There were no lights on anywhere. We found our seats and I saw a stage. Not a mat. I thought this was strange, too, since our girls were use to a mat and a "gym setting." There were two huge video screens on either side of the stage to show the girls back stage before they performed and that was neat. There was a "cheer store" in the back of the arena that sold everything imagineable for a cheerleader. Tons of t-shirts, hairbows, pajama pants, you name it. Finally, it was 10:00 and since our girls were first, they got to carry out the flag for the National Anthem! So cute! Then the girls performed and even though they hit all their stunts, their timing was a little off in the dance routine. I think they were nervous and the bright lights, the stage, and the atmosphere really threw them off because they weren't use to that type of setting. For the parents, it was a little noticeable, and we weren't sure how much the judges would notice. We met the girls in the lobby and some of them were upset and crying. And then we had - what I like to call - a little "mama drama" - and you'd be happy to know that I wasn't involved! So this morning, we were back at the Convention Center for Round 2 and things went SO much better! The girls still nailed their stunts and this time, everything went like it was suppose to! They were awesome and we were so proud of them!! I have two videos that I will share later in the week. One is at final practice on Thursday and one is their routine from today {the second one}. The lights were so bright, that you really can't tell anything from their national performance so I may post the practice one instead. I am just too tired tonight to upload it. We are so proud of our girls!! They won first place in their division!! I don't have any trophy pics to share tonight. Another mom is sharing hers with me and when I get those, I will post them here. Can you tell I am exhausted?

5 comments:

  1. You've given me so much to look forward to with our Piper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats to Alise and her squad! That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Congratulations Alise! We are so proud of you. I love the pictures. I can't get over how growny she has gotten. Big hugs and kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! Congratulations Alise and congrats on your back handspring! What an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're so adorable!

    ReplyDelete