Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Broken Bones Part 2

{Disclaimer: I don't know what's going on with Blogger tonight. I've tried a thousand times to get the spacing right and it just won't work.} Could our life get any more chaotic? I mean really. Alise fell on the playground yesterday during PE. She was playing on "The Dome" and reached back to brace her fall. By the time I got to school to pick her up, she was in hysterics. She is a Drama Queen - I'll give her that - but I could tell she was in pain and her arm was a little swollen. I didn't want to take any chances so off to the ER we went. I could not get her to calm down. I had to literally drag her from the car and then she tried to make a mad dash out the ER door while I was filling out the registration paperwork! She was screaming, "I don't want to do this, Mommie! I don't want to do this. I don't want a cast." Ugh! I silently prayed that the triage nurse would tire of her wailing and carrying on and just come out with a shot to knock her out and take her out of her misery! And mine, too! It was bad, friends. Oh, the wailing. I really didn't believe it was anything more than just a severe sprain. So imagine my surprise when the ER doctor told me, "We have a break. Come in my office and let me show you the X-rays." Shock. Pure shock. The doctor took us into another exam room and he put her arm in a splint and wrapped it with smelly bandages. More drama insued. Then he casually mentioned an orthopedic doctor and a cast and I nearly fell off the bed! I don't know what I was thinking. The truth was, I wasn't. I was just going through the motions, alone, by myself, in an ER with an hysterical five year old. We left soon after that with discharge papers and a prescription for drugs. At this point, I was ready for some myself! Some time during all that, I had promised Alise that I would take her anywhere she wanted to go after we left the hospital if she would just CALM. DOWN. When we got in the car, I called Wayne to give him an update and then I asked Alise, "Now, where would you like to go?" She chose Chic-fil-a, so off we went to the mall. But not before we had to potty! A nice older gentleman stopped us on the way to the restrooms and gave us his "prize" from his Chic-fil-a meal. Alise and I told him, "Thank you" and that's when I cracked! I explained to him and his sweet wife - total strangers - with tears in my eyes - that we just found out that we had a broke arm. They told Alise they hoped she felt better soon. We had another drama scene in the bathroom when Alise wigged out and asked me, "Who's gonna help me go to the bathroom at school? How am I gonna do such and such? I want this stupid thing off my arm!!" And for the first time ever, I didn't get on to her for saying the "S" word {not like she says it all the time anyway!}. There were a few choice words running through my own head. After she ate, we came home and I put her in our bed. I broke our golden rule of no TV during the week, but that didn't make her feel any better. She was so uncomfortable and complaining that her arm hurt so bad. I gave her some Tylenol and she finally fell asleep. I went in my Woman Cave and had my own little meltdown. I was just exhausted and so heart broken. I know that people break bones every day, but this was my Baby Girl! This wasn't suppose to be happening to her. She just started t-ball and she just got her back hand spring! She has a wedding in May! I felt so helpless. When Wayne got home, he went and got her prescription filled. It was a good thing because Alise had woken up and she was hysterically crying again. I really, really didn't want to give her the prescription because it is a narcotic drug. The ER doctor told me to try alternating Tylenol and Motrin and only use the script as a last resort. Well, I had reached my last resort. We gave her the medicine and in thirty minutes, I felt like my old Baby Girl was back. She wanted to read books and eat some soup and she was able to finally rest. I slept with her in our bed and we made it through the night. She woke up a few times and I gave her Motrin. This morning, we saw the orthopedic doctor. He pulled up Alise's X-ray and said that she had a "bubble break." It was not a clean break. He described it like a straw bending and then bending back in place. There's a break there, but the bone {radius} is still intact. That was good news. He wanted to cast her for 4 weeks and check her progress in two weeks. He explained that sometimes at Alise's age, the hand, wrist, and arm area have not developed enough to hold a small cast, but told his assistant to go ahead and try one anyway. If the cast started slipping on her arm and she could move around inside it, she would have to come in for another cast past her elbow. We're praying that doesn't happen. We left with a HOT PINK cast! Heaven help me! {H, if you are reading this, I PROMISE this will be off before the wedding!!} We spent the rest of the day shopping, eating lunch, and getting our nails painted. It's what mothers and daughters do best! Tonight, some sweet friends of ours brought supper. And an Easter basket with goodies!! Alise was like a totally different little girl. She was happy and no tears. She's getting use to her cast more and is learning how to do things with one hand. I am so proud of her! She is finally understanding that having a cast is not the worst thing in the world! Last night when Alise and I were in bed, I was crying and I whispered to her, "Alise, I am so sorry this happened to you. I wish I could make it go away." She touched my face and said, "It's okay, Mommie. I'm a big girl!" My heart broke into a million pieces. Here are some pictures from the last two days: This pic was taken Tuesday afternoon after we got home from the ER. Do ya see the face? "Not a happy camper" is a huge understatement! On our way to see the orthopedic doctor this morning. She was happy when I told her I would buy her a prize. "A prize" turned in to several {of course!}. Complete with a Vera Bradley notebook! This afternoon when we got home. FINALLY!! A smile! My daughter cracks me up! She signed her own cast! Thank goodness it wasn't her right hand!

6 comments:

  1. Bless her heart! Doug told me about it last night. I'm so sorry y'all are going through this. I've never had a broken bone, so I don't know what y'all are going through. My prayers are with you.

    Please give Alise a hug for us. Hang in there! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only imagine what this was like for you and her. I am so glad she is not in pain now. That's the part that hurts as a Mom, not being able to take the pain away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Alise! And poor you!!! I would have been the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That makes me stressed just reading it! Glad she is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor baby girl! Hopefully it will heal quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor girl! At least it'll only be for 4 weeks and it didn't happen in the summer!

    ReplyDelete