Friday, March 04, 2011

A Little Decorating with LOTS of Pics

{Post Update: I've had this post written since January, but it took some time to get all the pictures taken and uploaded}

If there is one thing that I've learned about decorating a new home, it's that it takes time.

Lots of time!

We've been in our new house for eight months and I still have bare walls in the living room and dining room {and it's killing me, but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet and I'm really not even sure what it is I'm looking for}. I brought over absolutely nothing from our old home in way of decorations or home accessories. Well, except for a lamp that I'm only using right now until I can find one that goes better with the new living room decor. But you get the point.

The absolute MOST fun I've had with decorating is finding things on sale. It's like a game. There are only a few things that I've actually paid full price for and even then, they weren't outrageous. I believe you can decorate on a budget and still create a beautiful home.

I actually did a little decorating over the Christmas break while I was off and I thought I would show you some of it. My decorating is nothing glamorous because I want our home to be "livable," and even more importantly, welcoming to all our friends and guests.

Other than a canvas to go over Alise's bed {I DO know what I want for that} and some hot pink paper lanterns {I'll share that idea when I finally find the lanterns} I finished decorating her bedroom and bathroom.

I moved her chest of drawers to the opposite wall and plan to hang the Eiffel Tower picture above it.

My friend S suggested I put a chalk board in her room and I thought that was a neat idea because Alise loves to draw. She actually found the chalk board in Shreveport {$10} and I loved the framing. The smaller purse prints came from The Beehive and they were only $6 a piece. I also hung a cork board the same size as the chalk board on the opposite wall, but I don't want to show it to you just yet until the paper lantern idea comes through.


S also found this antique mirror for me to go in Alise's room. I wasn't thrilled about it at first because I really didn't think the look was what I was going for, but another thing that I've learned is the "mix-match" theory with decorating. Just mix it all up. So I decided to throw in the antique mirror for a splash of something different and it worked right above her night stand. Since she didn't already have a mirror in her room, I thought it looked great and the "glass dots" on the mirror went well with the whole polka dot theme and also matched the drawer pulls on her furniture. Please excuse the mess on her night stand.



I bought this wrought iron silhouette at Steinmart last summer. It was on sale, but I don't remember how much it was. I had planned to use it in Alise's bedroom, but S thought putting it in her bathroom and using it for hair bows would be a greater idea. I absolutely loved it! Of course, these aren't all her hair bows. Ha!

Love the zebra chair {purchased from a friend of S} and "Bonjour" hanger from Hobby Lobby.

To our bathroom.

For a while now, I have had my eye on a iron medallion similar to this at Hobby Lobby. Regular price was $70, but I knew I could eventually get if half off. I was Christmas shopping in Pier 1 and I came across this similar medallion for $45. Hold on. It gets better. So AFTER Christmas, I was in Pier 1 again and they still had it! I got it on sale for $15!! Cha-ching!

I hung it on the back wall of our bathroom that you see when you first walk in. And the reason I loved it so much was because it nearly matched the design that's on the shower curtain in our bathroom. The pic below makes it look small, but it really isn't. It's a nice size for a big wall space.


I bought this piece of iron from Hobby Lobby last summer when we were still remodeling, not knowing where I was going to put it. It was on the clearance aisle and I paid less than $5 for it. I was cleaning out some things upstairs one weekend and I found it and it hit me that the perfect place for it was over our potty. It matches the medallion on the adjacent wall perfectly! I guess you could say I love me some wrought iron! Ha!


Now to the kitchen....Just a few vignettes.

This is the kitchen wall between the last column and our utility room. I got the picture half off from Paul Michael's after Christmas for $15. The iron hangers came from an antique store in Arkansas and they are antiqued with black, but you can't tell it in the picture. I bought some black and white toile and gingham ribbon and secretly hoped that the toile would look better, but it didn't. I enter twined the ribbon through the tops and tied big bows on them. I just have the greenery stuck in there for right now because I am not sure what I'm actually going to put in them. I may use some kitchen towels tied with more ribbon.

Here are some pictures of things on top of my kitchen cabinets. Since our house was built in the late '90's, I don't have quite the same amount of space above my cabinets that lots of the more modern homes have, so I have to be really careful when selecting things, because lots of times, they won't fit. And it makes me mad, but whatever. I manage to get over it! Wayne suggested "decorating the cabinets up some" with some trim and while that would look really, really pretty, it would take away from my "decorating space" and so we haven't done. All about the decor, peeps! All about the decor. Ha!

Okay so maybe I lied. The red apple cookie jar in the picture above actually belonged to Wayne's grandmother. I love having it in my kitchen.
This was another item that I had had my eye on for a while at Hobby Lobby and there was only one. But I refused to pay full price and soon enough, I snatched it up for half off. It's a little too tall, but I really, really, really wanted it so I just propped it up against the trim. Love it! I just need to get some more things to combine with it. I guess you could say I've got the whole "French country" vibe going on in my kitchen. If only I could find something to go on the BIG wall over the dining table.

I thought I wanted heavy red drapes in the living room. I knew I needed something with some pop of red to try to bring the kitchen color into the living room. I originally ordered curtains from Overstock.com, but Wayne said they looked too much like the rug and suggested I get solid red curtains instead. After many, many tried to get the length right, I finally decided on drapes from Target for $40. They are still about half an inch too long, but I don't think they look that bad and once they are hidden behind my chair {which I am still shopping for}, it won't matter anyway. Here are before and after pics.
I only tried once using a drapery rope and bunching up the curtains, but the curtains are not heavy enough to "drape" at the bottom once I tied the rope. I intend to play with it some more, but if my original plan for the look doesn't pan out, I won't sweat it. After all, it's just curtains. However. Do you see that big empty spot over Wayne's recliner?! Yeah. That's another blank empty thorn in my side. Must. find. a. picture. And I intend of buying "me" a nice comfy chair {not a recliner} to go on the right side of the curtains.

And just in case you would like to see some more before and after pics, I've included some of my more favorite posts below.

Bustin' Down A Wall

Our kitchen island

More decorating pics

5 comments:

  1. You have done a great job in all the rooms! I love the iron look too! Love Alise's mirror. What a conversation piece. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice decorating! I found a mirror similar to Alise's at Hobby Lobby that I started to buy for our Kitchen. Pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the mirror in As room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is coming together so nicely! Miss you~KK

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one FAB mirror in Alise's room! And I love all your iron work! You're doin' good!!!

    ReplyDelete