Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Paddy's Day!

I had the great priviledge of portraying my husband this morning at the "Pop's Pancake Breakfast" at Alise's school. She waited a little too late to ask Wayne if he would take her and because of his hours, it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway. I told her to ask Mrs. M if I could take her instead, so this morning at 7:30, I stood in line with a bunch of men waiting for pancakes and sausage from McDonald's. I was so thankful that the teachers were there helping with sign in and serving. At least I wasn't the only woman in the room, but definitely the only Mommy trying to pull off being a Daddy! Ha!

Unfortunately, I suffered from St. Patrick's Day FAIL this week. I didn't get anything accomplished like I had hoped. My friend, N, made the rainbow cupcakes and sent me pics of them! They looked so cute! I'm glad someone has been creative this week!!

On Tuesday, Mrs. M sent this wonderful note home to us:It read: "Laura & Wayne - Alise read this story by herself to the class yesterday! She did a beautiful job! It was a great moment. You would have been so proud of her!" My heart just burst! Of course, we rewarded her with free TV time to use this weekend and she said, "I'm going to tell Mrs. M to write you and Daddy notes everyday!" That's my daughter!

And let me just say that turning off the TV is the absolute BEST thing we could have done!! This week has been hard, but Alise has gone from crying and whining and being so down-right ugly to simply saying, "I wish I could watch TV." Her attitude has changed so much and she is so much happier and so are we. We've kept her busy with reading and playing outside {with the time change, it has been nice} so it's not like she's wallowing around and driving us crazy. She's earned two hours of TV time for this weekend and so far, hasn't lost a single chance to watch. Thank you SO much for your kind words and ideas! I am SO going to check into the books that match the old TV shows. I LOVED Little House on the Prairie and read the books, too, when I was younger so that's definitely a sure thing! Someone asked if Wayne and I are still watching TV and the answer is yes, we are. We don't watch, though, until after she goes to bed. We thought that was fair to her but feel that we are still the parents and we are in charge.

Last night I made Southern Plate's Chicken and Dumplings. I have NEVAH made chicken and dumplings before. And I'm not sure why. I guess because I love my Mama's so much that I would just rather eat her's. But these turned out SO good and they are actually made similar to my Mama's...with biscuits! Yes, biscuits! So yummy! Alise and I loved them! Wayne wouldn't even stay in the kitchen with them! Go figure!

I hope you had a fun St. Paddy's Day! And I'm sorry that I don't have anything to share about what I'm loving this week. I've been so busy at work that I haven't spent much time on the computer, but I promise to get my groove back soon! Have a wonderful SPRING weekend and I'll be back next week!

1 comment:

  1. You are my hero for sticking it out for the tv time. We have gone through the same things with MK. It is glad to know that the whining and sass will eventually stop. I didn't make green eggs and ham like I had hoped to. My kids had on green today and we got out the door on time this morning. There has to be an award for that. Ha!

    ReplyDelete