Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 5 Of Pulling The Plug

Somebody shoot me.

Just go ahead and throw water on me. Give me the poisoned apple. Stick a knife through my heart. Zap me with some vanishing cream.

Obviously, I didn't make myself clear.

But MY bet is on the fact that some certain little 5 year old girl wasn't li..sten..ing.

When we had our "family discussion" with Alise last Thursday night, I said, "No TV during the week." And that's what I meant.

Well, maybe the timing was bad because Alise actually did earn some TV time over the weekend and we had "Family Movie Night" on Friday night. On Monday morning, when I woke her up, the first words out of her mouth were, "Can I watch TV with my breakfast?" Which was our morning routine.

Not any more.

So when I told her "no," and explained to her again that there was no TV watching during the week, my beautiful sleeping Princess turned into the Poltergist girl. Her head spun around so fast and she totally wigged. out. So much so that she was "in the hole" 30 minutes of TV time before 7 AM! Try explaining THAT to a 5 year old!! She told me, "We don't have a cup {that's what we're putting our slips of paper in...one cup for the "stash" and one cup to put slips when she "earns" time} for THOSE kinds of slips, Mommy!!"

Do ya hear the sass?!

Good grief! The child is wearing me out. And I want to just give. in. so. bad. but I keep thinking and telling myself that having my sweet little girl back will make it all worth it.

So what have we been doing?

We've been READING!! Reading, reading, reading! Alise has finished another Dr. Seues book and we're reading what I call "small readers" from the library. She actually read a word this weekend that I never would have thought she would get, but I can't remember now what it was. I was SO proud of her and just praised her and praised her for doing such a great job. We've also been doing some more pages in her workbook gearing up for the standardized test that she'll be having this week.

On our visit to the library on Saturday, I noticed that our library had new science DVDs. We got 2: one on the solar system and one on dinosaurs {The child loves dinosaurs}. We haven't watched them yet - I'm hoping they are not too advanced for her - and I'm thinking about letting her watch those kinds of educational shows during the week...later on. If I survive this first week. She actually watched a family game show Sunday night and seemed to like it. The child needs to understand that there is more to TV life than the Disney channel!!

"Shake It Up!" That's the name of the new Disney sitcom that I couldn't remember in my last post. It's one of the shows that is off limits to her.

Thank you for your support and love.

9 comments:

  1. My parents actually got rid of every TV in our house when we were in 6th-10th grade...my sister is ADD and had a hard time reading but loved the TV...her reading grades kept going down so out the TV went...over the next few years her reading/comprehending greatly improved! Hang in there, you can do it! I see myself dealing with a sassy 5 year old in about 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is hard!!!! You will be glad later on. Reading is wonderful!!!!! You can also find classics that have put down to a lower level for kids at Wal-Mart and Books-A-Million and then you could watch the movies that go with those books. Little Women, Anne of Green Gables, Wizard of Oz, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, I know ALL about the sass. Just what till she gets 9. I don't know what I'm going to do with her as a teen.

    Bo broke my laptop, so he's banned from the computer. That's like his TV. Besides the fact that my laptop is broken, it kind of worked out b/c he was spending too much time on it. Good luck with A!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Beckys idea of reading the classic books, and then watching the movie as a treat during the week. Good idea. Or you could DVR shows like Little House on the Prairie and read those books too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are my hero! Stand your ground girl. I know it is hard to not give in. I do it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is it okay to say I am not looking forward to this stage of sass? My parents didn't let us watch TV during the week either and I think it was for the best. It made me and my sisters read A LOT and also play outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can I just tell you how impressed I am that you are taking TV away to make your situation better??? I would be so exhausted without TV - Jack would want to read all the time too, but man, the TV sure is nice for Mommy timeouts!! I think you will always be thankful for doing what's difficult! Hope things get better SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel your pain. I'm like you, I don't mind the educational shows like "WordWorld", "Sid the Science Kid". I also allow Katie more computer time with specific sites to help her with reading and math like "Starfall" and Dr. Seuss has a cute site.

    I hate grounding Katie from tv time, when I really need to get things done because that's when she is right under my chin. So, she has her chores - clean up room, dust the Living Room and her room, put her clean clothes away, and pick up the Living Room. It's rough, but I've learned to replace the tv time with other activities. Her new favorite is Wii. She loves cycling, plus she's getting some exercise doing. With the weather getting warmer, we've been going outside more. It will get easier, just hang in there.

    Love ya! Give Alise a big hug and kiss for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE not having cable! I have a friend who does 'No TV' for the entire month of June. It's so much better for her to play/run around/use her imagination than to sit in front of the tv like a little zombie!

    ReplyDelete